Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!

10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #91
Mark in Seattle

My Support Groups:
I have a KitchenAid juicer that is dual function - juice extractor & citrus press. I'm not sure what all it can do. Might have to try it out.

Couple questions. Mainly to do with fruit skins. I've often read that many of the health benefits are derived from the skins of fruits. But in juicing, wouldn't the skins be eliminated by the juicer machine as discarded fiber? I'm trying to understand whether juicing results in the elimination of the benefits from the skins or not.

Next, what benefits does one get from juicing a raw potato?

Shouldn't some veggies be cooked at least a little before putting in the juicer, like broccoli for example? Or is everything supposed to be put in raw, no matter what?
10-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #92
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I have a KitchenAid juicer that is dual function - juice extractor & citrus press. I'm not sure what all it can do. Might have to try it out.

Couple questions. Mainly to do with fruit skins. I've often read that many of the health benefits are derived from the skins of fruits. But in juicing, wouldn't the skins be eliminated by the juicer machine as discarded fiber? I'm trying to understand whether juicing results in the elimination of the benefits from the skins or not.

Next, what benefits does one get from juicing a raw potato?

Shouldn't some veggies be cooked at least a little before putting in the juicer, like broccoli for example? Or is everything supposed to be put in raw, no matter what?
Much of the skin would be discarded as fiber but there still is moisture in the skins and the juicer will squeeze that out. So you won't be getting all the benefits from the skin but you will be getting a fair amount. When juicing lemons, oranges and limes, most people will remove the peels. Some juicers can't even handle the peels and may break (like my first one) Also the skins taste very bitter for me, but some people do enjoy the taste.

Well you are getting all of the enzymes that are included in the potato. When contacted with heat, all the enzymes will die and it will ask on your pancreas to over work to create the enzymes that were lost. Also all vitamin C is destroyed by heat and seeing as many food nutrients haven't been discovered, many more nutrients may be destroyed.

Also by cooking the vegetables, many of the nutrients will actually leach into the water that they are being boiled or cooked in. And I'm not quite sure if a mushy vegetable will actually produce any juice.

You should definitely keep the fruits and vegetables in their raw state, always.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #93
Sandy A

My Support Groups:
Gianni, thanks for feedback on your diet, sounds similar to what I do, the fruit bothers me sometimes though, and I also love vegan thai food. I use the Warrior food protein powder, hemp/brown rice mixture, don't use it real often either...I eat millet bread and toast it with earth balance butter on it, almond butter sometimes...I like Barleans total omega swirl for omega 3, has flax oil and borage oil and it tastes like an orange cream smoothie. I also do the balsamic and olive oil and I press garlic in mine. I also make a shake in my vitamix with almond milk, cocoa powder, frozen bananas and almond or peanut butter (not suppose to do peanut butter, but I like it!) I use the unsweetened almond milk and use medjool dates to sweeten. I've been trying to add nuts, but I think they are bothering me, my health coach said to soak them first, always forget to do that! Glad to see someone who is eating similar with success!! I am on remicade and would love to someday not be on anything, lot of joint pains going on...dr agreed to cut back dose and extend time to see if I'm still good, thanks for your reply.
10-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #94
Mark in Seattle

My Support Groups:
Gianni, I presume you don't bother peeling any of the veggies, like the potato, right?

So here's another question. Regarding the salads. It was mentioned that nitrogen fertilizers raise the nitrates, and particularly for lettuce. So, do you assume that if the lettuce is advertised as organic, that it was not grown with nitrogen fertilizer, or does this question of fertilizer concern you? I know that every time I eat salad I flare, and I've been assuming that Adherent Invasive E. Coli have been to blame, but perhaps not; maybe the nitrates are to blame. Anyhow, that's my question, thanks.
10-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #95
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Yes I do assume that organic lettuce would not be grown with artificial fertilizers because the lettuce would not be there if it didn't have pesticides and had artificial fertilizer. the bugs would easily get to the lettuce without the organic fertilizer because the plants's defenses would be weakened. So if it is grown organically (with minimal chemicals) and the lettuce appears green and healthy then I have to assume it had healthy soil to stay alive.

Gianni
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #96
MooCat

Thank you so much for this incredibly informative post. I purchased both a juicer and a dehydrator about one month ago and am trying to adapt to a raw food diet to help my Crohn's disease. I will definitely try the juicing recipes you provided here. Do you have any posts similar to this one about dehydrating foods and the possible benefits associated with that practice as well?
10-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #97
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Do you have any posts similar to this one about dehydrating foods and the possible benefits associated with that practice as well?
Unfortunately I do not. I really want to get a dehydrator but they are rather expensive. I would love to get one soon and then write about those benefits as well, so maybe in the future sometime. I know there are a few people on this forum who use dehydrators so you might want to reach out to them. Using the search engine by typing in dehydrator should yield some results. Sorry I couldn't be of more help as I'm not entirely comfortable claiming health benefits from dehydrators yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Gianni
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #98
Wooddy

Unfortunately I do not. I really want to get a dehydrator but they are rather expensive. I would love to get one soon and then write about those benefits as well, so maybe in the future sometime. I know there are a few people on this forum who use dehydrators so you might want to reach out to them. Using the search engine by typing in dehydrator should yield some results. Sorry I couldn't be of more help as I'm not entirely comfortable claiming health benefits from dehydrators yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

Gianni
Gianni,

An inexpensive but effective method I use when I dehydrate food is to sandwich the food between two cellulose air filters (made for my house furnace) and bungie them to a box fan. I put the entire contraption it out of the sun in a dry spot and let it run for a day or two. When using this method to preserve the fresh herbs that I have grown in my garden, I also get the added bonus of the pleasant savory aroma filling my house. If you want to try this with fruit, cut up your fruit and let the pieces soak in lemon juice (dilute it with water if you like) for a minute, to prevent browning. You don't want to water log the fruit so don't let the peices sit in the lemon juice too long. After about a minute, drain the fruit well in a colander and then dehydrate.

Use filters that contain a natural media or unbleached cellulose (I assume that you would already be using something similar if you have a forced air system in your house) and avoid fiberglass. You can even make your own washable/reusable filter just make sure you use an eco-friendly, dioxin free, substrate.

If you try it let me know how it works out for you. The weather and the type of food being dried has a lot to do with how long this process takes so you will have gauge that on your own. I like this method, it is inexpensive and works well enough to suit my needs.
MEDS:
Lialda
Azathioprine
Welchol
Toprol XL
Hctz
Omeprazole
Nascobal
Vit D
B complex
11-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #99
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Interesting and creative stuff Woody, Thanks!!

I'll have to try it.

Gianni
11-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #100
cleuger

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Can you Juice with a Stricture? I'm on a low residual diet (which I hate) I love vegetables. I miss broccoli. Would this cause me potential problems. I mean I don't see how since its liquid but I want to give this a try as I totally hate the diet I'm on its makes me feel like crap and gaining weight in all the wrong places.

Diagnosed 10/02/2012 Crohns Colitis
05/28/14 Surgery Abscess due to Fistula
09/18/2014 Surgery Total Proctocolectomy
rectum removed and closed up.
Best Decision I ever made.

Gastro Released me said I didn't need meds any longer

Have 3 kids only 1 at home 17 yr old is Type 1 Diabetic

Currently Taking
Tramadol
Xanax
Multi Vitiman
11-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #101
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I would say yes, as long as you juice you are taking out the fibre (as opposed to smoothies which just liquefy everything).
I try to stay low residue and juice every morning - getting in my 5 a day early so I can eat donuts all day hehe.
I definitely feel healthier for it.
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
11-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #102
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Actually just looked at low residue list on wiki and it says "Pulp free, strained, or clear juices" are ok.
So yes go for it.
11-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #103
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I'd have to agree with Beach bum. It is in liquid form so it will not cause problems.

11-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #104
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Community Juice fast starts this saturday the 10th, you can still sign up! http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=42397
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #105
mink

Hi Gianni, I appreciate your hard work and research and generously sharing it with us to read and benefit from. I am undiagnosed but pretty sure it Crohn's after research and its knocked me quite a bit. I have had M E since August 2001 and housebound so I got low in Vit D and took 1000 iu every day but because of symptoms got confused and stopped the Vit D. The Crohn's (i think) symptoms got worse. My diet is pretty good as i have candida and endometriosis and need to avoid dairy and sugar I no longer have sugar cravings. I am loathe to go to docs for diagnosis as dont want to be filled up with all the drugs, esp. if they only suppress the symptoms for them to flare up. Thanks for explaining that. The juicing is something i would like to try. Please do you mind sharing how you organise your juicing and meals to give me some idea of a routine? What routine do you follow on your fasts and for how long? After you fast what meals do you have do you still juice on non fast days ? How do you organize those days also how much liquid do you consider to constitute a meal? I am very weepy panicky and upset at symptoms. i am terrified of the complications and the fear paralyses me. I know i should try to take one day at at time. I love the bible and study it (as i find the prophecies fascinatingly accurate) and my faith helps me to do that. but in my weaker moments i feel i am not coping at all and I feel ashamed about that. Your attitude is so life enhancing and refreshing, the way you have taken a pro-active research and doing stance, I so respect that, but this has knocked me (I was just about coping with the rest). Please also could you tell me what juicer to use, your recommended omega 8006 juicer has great reviews, and I was very tempted but the video confused me as the demonstrator said that if you want to do a lot of carrots (which i like) it was not recommended but it has a 15 year warranty so must be sturdy enough to do them, what do you think? having M E I would like one that does as much as possible i have saved quite a bit. I would like to ask the one that you use but perhaps the company you bought from may not ship to London, UK where I live? Also what were your symptoms and how long was it after starting your juicing that you felt symptom free? Sorry for all the questions but i would deeply appreciate your kind advice. It was an absolute breath of fresh air reading all your posts.

Last edited by mink; 11-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
11-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #106
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Please do you mind sharing how you organise your juicing and meals to give me some idea of a routine?
It really depends on the day I have ahead of me. If I have a laid back day, I can organize however which way I want to. For a busy day or even a busy week I will plan ahead and juice for the entire week and put the juice into glass mason jars, and then just grab one each day as I'm going out the door. Meals are typically simple for me, for breakfast it is usually simply just a piece of fruit or a juice if I have time. Lunch, I will eat at a local healthy restaurant (I live in Los angeles and there are many healthy options out there for me) or I will pack a salad and have a cooler with me. For dinner I will try to make a recipe, or have a salad or juice if I have time. I will sometimes reward myself with thai food as well here.

What routine do you follow on your fasts and for how long?
I juice the night before often or the morning of If I get up early. I juice once for the whole day and will put the juice in glass mason jars and into the refrigerator. It is much more time consuming to re-juice every time you make a juice as you have to clean the juicer each time and prep yourself. I typically do around 7 day juice fasts, I have gone to 14 and as little as 3. For a beginner I would recommend 3-5 day juice fast then working your way up.

After you fast what meals do you have do you still juice on non fast days
It's important to retain nutrient dense foods after your juice fast. You don't want to start giving your body the right idea about all these nutrients and then eat junk processed foods. Anywhere from 20-32 oz of juice constitutes as a meal, for me, during a juice fast. I do juice on non fast days, I actually nearly juice everyday whether it is me making it or buying a juice at a local organic juice bar down the street.

Please also could you tell me what juicer to use, your recommended omega 8006 juicer has great reviews, and I was very tempted but the video confused me as the demonstrator said that if you want to do a lot of carrots (which i like) it was not recommended but it has a 15 year warranty so must be sturdy enough to do them, what do you think?
You know I have heard similar opinions about the 8006. I've seen the 8006 in action and it does take care of carrots a little funny but I see no reason why it would break on you. It does have a 15 year warranty and from what I've read their customer service is great and they are more than willing to replace broken parts/juicers.

Personally I use a Super Angel 5500 juicer. This juicer is very expensive (around $900) but it is amazing It juices the hard stuff like carrots and sweet potatoes with ease but the great thing about this juicer is that it is exceptional in retaining the beneficial chemicals within leafy greens. Many juicers will damage delicate greens while this juicer is on slow RPm's and is very delicate. This juicer also has a patented Biomagnetic technology in which it retrieves more nutrients and enzymes from the pulp than other juicers.

If you want the best of the best and money isn't an option then the Norwalk Juicer might be for you. (around $2400). This juicer is a two step juicer in which you grind the pulp and then press the juice out of the pulp. This juicer is much more time consuming but consistently wins the battle of most minerals and enzymes retained in the juice. This is the juicer used with the Gerson Therapy.

I do believe that the 8006 or any other omega masticating juicer is a good middle ground for efficiency and affordability. Some other juicers worth looking into are the Green Star Elite (better than 8006 but more expensive), and champion juicers.

I am not a fan of the breville family. I had a Breville and it did break on me. Overall I'm not a big fan of an centrifugal juicers as they have been known to damage a fair amount of enzymes and delicate greens.

Also what were your symptoms and how long was it after starting your juicing that you felt symptom free?
Constant Diarrhea and constipation, they went back and forth. I had horrible pain about constant 6 and peaks at 9 on a 1-10 scale (I was constantly on norco pain killers). I had bladder pain every time I went to the bathroom, to the point I would have to kneel down for a good 5-10 mins before I could get up and walk out of the bathroom (I had a developing fistula). I have intermittent fevers as well as nausea.

I started juicing while I was on Humira still but remicade did not work for me. It seemed like Humira did take the edge off but I didn't feel like my symptom pain was getting any better (bladder pain). I started feeling better quite honestly only a week into me juicing. I had more energy, I didn't feel nauseas and my bowels weren't as inconsistant (they weren't nearly perfect yet). That was when I realized there was something to this so I went on a juice fast and thats when things started calming down. My bladder pain wasn't getting worse for the first time in a long time (it seemed before that everyday the pain would get more extreme). I had an appetite and my intermittent fevers no longer existed. About 3 months into my new regiment is when I started to feel completely normal again although I still did have some bladder pain (I still even today have some bladder pain although not even 1/100 as bad as it was but I attribute it to scar tissue).

8 months after my whole new change I got a colonoscopy and there showed no visual signs of the disease (they did not take a biopsy though).

I am very weepy panicky and upset at symptoms. i am terrified of the complications and the fear paralyses me.
It is a very scary disease and know you are not alone in that sentiment. Often when you research online and find blogs and forums, the people posting and active on those forums are mostly people that are very scared, sick and confused. The healthy crohnies are off living their lives, not investing their time into a forum or blog. So you must realized you are getting a skewed view when you start reading the stories on forums. The forum stories are some of the scariest and make other scary ideas seem silly. One of my goals, in being on this forum, is to break that sentiment... to give others a different point of view of someone living health, someone in remission who has good news rather than grim news.

There is a success story subforum here (click that) it can be a very useful tool for you to gather some hope and realize that this disease doesn't have to control you, that you can be perfectly happy with it.

My diet is pretty good as i have candida and endometriosis and need to avoid dairy and sugar I no longer have sugar cravings.
May I ask the extent of your diet? What is the average day like?

Do you still have Candida? I think Candida is absolutely detrimental to overall health but especially detrimental to the health of our intestines and our immune system. Seeing as crohn's deals with both the immune system and intestines I think getting rid of your candida should be priority #1. It is a good sign, though, that you no longer have sugar cravings.

This quote is from a different thread:

My Candida diet: You can look up various Candida cure diets online but this is what i did... I avoided all processed and refine sugars and when i say avoided i mean looked at the back of every label of every parcel of food i ate and if it said sugar i didn't dare eat it. I also stayed away from yeast in breads and the like, and seeing as many many breads contain yeast I nearly avoided breads all together. I incorporated a HEAVY dose of vegetables into my diet because vegetables create an alkaline state in your body and help change the environment that the Candida got used to and replaces it with an environment gut flora will thrive in. To get the optimal amount of vegetables into my diet, i didn't only eat a raw vegan diet but i also juiced a substantial amount. If you aren't familiar with juicing i highly suggest you look it up, I will be making a juicing thread soon. By juicing you can throw in so many vegetables into the juicers and it liquifies it and it super concentrates the amount of vegetables you can consume in a day.

I regulated the amount of fruits i ate as they do contain sugars. They are natural sugars but its really important to not indulge in fruits because too much of any kind of sugar is not ideal for our guts.

Also i would suggest never taking antibiotics. Of course I am not a doctor but what i've researched about antibiotics is just frightening. If you do take antibiotics think of it as a reset button because as soon as you take them all the progress you've made in trying to eliminate the Candida is wasted and you are back to square 1. Of course for life threatening situations antibiotics should be used like an abscess bursting or something along the lines of that. But in most cases your body doesn't need antibiotics to fight off an infection... if you give your body something to work with like healthy nutrition in the form of vitamins, fiber, minerals then your body can fight for itself without medical intervention.
A good way to test your Candida levels everyday is: Right when you wake up BEFORE you drink or eat anything, grab a glass of water and collect saliva in your mouth. Spit the saliva into the top of the glass and watch the saliva for a few minutes. Watch as ,most likely, the saliva sinks to the bottom of the glass. The more of the saliva that sinks, the more Candida you have. During your mission to rid the candida, regularly test your levels and eventually if you do things right one morning your saliva will float at the top and stay afloat which shows minimal yeast/candida ! This(click that) thread will help explain the test more thoroughly.

Now I have a few questions for you.

Have you had your Vitamin Levels Tested Recently? Liver functions test?

Are you currently on any medication at all, were you on any in the past?

Are you taking any supplements?

When you say "avoid dairy" is that eliminate, pro actively avoid, or just try to avoid?

Have you had a doctor check you out at all, use diagnostic procedures?

All the best
Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 11-09-2012 at 11:08 AM.
11-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #107
Miss Spencer

Not all fruit and veggies are a like. I just wonder if juicing can be taken to a whole new level. Can we make the approach much more scientific. For example, if someone has a deficiency in magnesium and calcium, is there a recipe for them. If someone has Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, are there recipes for them. If someone is constipated, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Prednisone, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Methotrexate which interferes with folate, is there a recipe for them. And on and on. Thoughts on that?
The answer to your fourth question is YES!

A few years ago I read in a health book by Leslie and Susannah Kenton that freshly prepared carrot juice was excellent for settling down upset stomach aches, pain or diarrhea. At that time I was having trouble leaving the house on time to get to work because I was experiencing uncontrollable bowel movements every single morning between 3.00am and 9.00am. Not only was this exhausting on top of my already bad exhaustion due to the UC, I was also in strife with my boss for being continually late for work. After reading about the carrots I started to juice around 4 to 6 organic carrots every morning for breakfast. I didnít really like carrots but I was pretty desperate at that stage so was prepared to try it regardless. I also added a knob of ginger root to help disguise/soften the carrot taste. Ginger root is well-known to help assist with upset tummies, so I thought it a good overall combination. Anyway that was years ago and I have never looked back. The carrot juice started working almost from day dot. Well I think it took a few weeks for my body to get use to the change but it did start working very quickly.

I was still having numerous bowel movements every morning up until I drank my glass of carrot juice at 6.00am and after that there were no more movements until I next ate something fibrous around 9.00am. This meant I could leave the house on time, comfortably travel on public transport without the fear of a sudden bowel movement and arrive at work on time and keep my job. The juice also helped me to revive my sagging energy levels because juicing helped me to absorb much needed nutrients that I was otherwise lacking.

Over the years I have acquired a taste for the carrots, so it has become a pleasure morning ritual rather than an endured one. I normally use organic carrots due to two reasons: firstly the health benefits of organic and secondly the sweeter taste. I only use conventional carrots in an emergency if the shop has sold out of organic ones. I am going to try and grow my own too. I have come to rely on this method so much that I get panicky if we are low on carrots the night before. I pay $3.98 for a one kilo bag of organic carrots. Conventional carrots are $1.00 cheaper but I often find them tasteless or bitter, so I am prepared to pay a bit extra to get the best.

Also being low on magnesium due to diarrhea from UC, I was able to replenish my magnesium levels by drinking green vegetables such as organic spinach. Carrot and spinach juice is a nice mix. The Dr Norman W Walker juicing book mentioned previously on one of these threads will give you the best combinations for various ailments and deficiencies. I believe that juicing and a gluten-free plant based diet has helped me achieve remission long term.

Although I am flaring at the moment as three weeks ago I ate some chicken, wheat and ice-cream, all of which I KNOW will upset me but I did it anyway. I am now paying the price for my stupidity.
11-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #108
Mark in Seattle

My Support Groups:
I tried the juicing and it was very painful on my gut.

I tried it with fruit one day and that wasn't too bad, but the next day when I added in veggies (celery, cucumber, kale, and carrots), I got problems. It was strained really well too. I think in my case I really do need a super-low or no-residue diet, which may preclude any real juicing attempts. I'm really bummed, I was so hoping this might be a good option for me. I had a fair amount of acid reflux too from what I perceived as the celery juice.

Maybe I need to experiment with one kind of juice at a time rather than a mixture of juices.
11-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #109
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I tried the juicing and it was very painful on my gut.

I tried it with fruit one day and that wasn't too bad, but the next day when I added in veggies (celery, cucumber, kale, and carrots), I got problems. It was strained really well too. I think in my case I really do need a super-low or no-residue diet, which may preclude any real juicing attempts. I'm really bummed, I was so hoping this might be a good option for me. I had a fair amount of acid reflux too from what I perceived as the celery juice.

Maybe I need to experiment with one kind of juice at a time rather than a mixture of juices.
May I ask if you juiced organic?

Juicing is a liquid so I think it should fall under super-low residue. The only thing I can think of is the cucumber. Cucumber juice can cause gas in individuals, I don't have this problem, but my mother does.

Gianni
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #110
Mark in Seattle

My Support Groups:
Gianni,

Yes, absolutely everything was 100% organic. I really tend to avoid anything not organic, wild, free-range, antibiotic/growth-hormone-free, etc.
11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #111
David
Co-Founder

Mark, what fruit did you utilize?
11-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #112
bunnyceleste

so glad to know Im not alone! when I mention natural therapies like this to dr.s the just roll their eyes and try to push more drugs on me. no thanks. I was just in the hospital for a week after admitting through ER due to stricturing and in addition to high dose of IV steroids I was either no intake or clear fluids only.... so 3 times a day they would bring me a tray of jello, coffee and microwaved bouillion cube. such inflammatory damaging chemical laced foods! I stupidly tried the jello and immidielty needed morphine. I wasnt able to ararnge to have juice brought to me in the hospital, best I could get was real homeamde broth and coconut water adn herbal teas which were all helpful. post hospital I am back on my juice routine and thriving. imagine a world where you go to the hospital with a digestive disease and they bring you healing fresh veggie juices as your medicine. someday. now Im excited for the morning to make my breakfast juice!
11-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #113
Mark in Seattle

My Support Groups:
I used apple, banana,pear, & papaya. Maybe a little plum.
11-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #114
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Try juicing just vegetables (low sugar) next time ( only juice a small glass to test it out). Some Crohnies cannot digest the sugars in the fruit all too well which will cause some diarrhea especially if you have Crohn's in the latter half of the small intestines.

Try it, see if that helps.

Gianni
11-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #115
David
Co-Founder

Mark, you basically gave yourself a huge dose of high FODMAP foods. If they led to an increase in symptoms, you may want to explore trying the low FODMAP diet. Our wiki entry gives a decent overview, but here's a great paper.
11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #116
mink

Hi Gianni, i didnt intend to leave it so long before replying. In between i have been re- reading your answer and researching. Thanks for encouraging us to do that. thank you so much for your thorough caring detailed reply even in respect of my emotional state. Thanks for being so positive especially after everything you have been suffering, its really strengthened me. I agree the Candida should be treated first. Thank you for the juicing information recipes, and information on juicing and Candida. I looked up the other positive threads too. What comes through is everyone's tenacity. I have a lot to learn.

Regarding medicines, I had taken a homeopathic remedy silica as i thought when the pains first started that i had too much calcium in the blood. I have stopped it after tests showed everything ok. Now I take Vit D drops in olive oil and Coconut oil capsules. I am on no other meds.

I cook basic meals from scratch except for bread and some sauces. Wholemeal bread/cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch, evening meal can be stew, spag bol, indian/thai curry, pasta with salmon, salmon roasted with veg, steak and 2 veg. I positively eliminate dairy and sweet things.

I was found to be low on vit D + folate (folic acid) and am now awaiting results after supplementing. On two occasions when the pains got so severe I went to A&E both times they found nothing wrong with blood tests, x-ray, internal examination back passage. They said it was stress.

Perhaps the homeopathic remedy precipitated a breakdown as I had to come and stay with mum as i lost ability to think straight and take care of myself. (normally i live alone but thats no problem usually). When i told my GP (and because I had been to A+E and they couldnt find anything wrong) she referred me to a psychiatrist and said she was unwilling to take any more investigative steps unless i complete sessions with the psychiatrist but I missed the appointment as I am at mums and just sent a letter apologizing and explaining.

I was taking herbal meds from a masters degree qualified guy he suggested lack of sleep causes gastro intestinal pain but no longer believes candida is a problem and if i have symptoms is should be happy. He was adamant on that so it was useless to contradict though I privately disagree.

I am trying to improve my sleep pattern although with M.E. which knocks out your body clocks (sleep, appetitive, hormones) when you go over your strength limit the body pumps out more adrenaline and produces insomnia but have learned some rest positions to counteract but it takes time.

It is probably just stress due to misuse of homeopathy (i was not under a homeopath I researched and obviously came up with wrong conclusion) and I am so ashamed i panicked and bothered you on this forum. you wasted your kind concern on me. However your kindness has really strengthened me and I am not sorry I learned about your refreshing attitude it has really strengthened me. Also thank you for the juicing information, recipes and tips especially the greens will help with the Candida.

Mink
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #117
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I cook basic meals from scratch except for bread and some sauces. Wholemeal bread/cereal for breakfast,
I'm glad you are making your meals from scratch, that will go a long way. I would like you to try and cut out grains, especially wheat and see if your symptoms subside. The more and more I read about grains, the more I dislike them and think they may be well more related to Crohn's Disease than we think.

Have you heard of the Paleo Diet? Click on that link for our wiki entry. Many members here like hugh and others are pro active paleolithic dieters who preach the importance of removing grains from the diet. I'm sure he can elaborate more if he cares to contribute to the conversation.

They said it was stress.
I believe stress is a MAJOR factor here. I think it is an important to learn how to better handle stress within your body. Those who have a chronic condition, are constantly in the fight response of the fight or flight mechanism of the endocrine system. I still have a major problem with stress but it is something I am trying to conquer, but it is a constant battle. I believe that meditation and yoga are great stress suppressors. I am guessing you are too stressed to sleep and that can cause a myriad of ailments so it is important to be calm before you go to sleep. Try breathing exercises and go to bed in complete darkness as light will tell your body that it is still daylight which will disrupt your circadian rhythm and will keep you awake.

I was taking herbal meds from a masters degree qualified guy he suggested lack of sleep causes gastro intestinal pain
I would agree to an extent, I don't believe all pain is due to lack of sleep though.

but no longer believes candida is a problem and if i have symptoms is should be happy. He was adamant on that so it was useless to contradict though I privately disagree.
I wouldn't bet against candida's persistant nature. I am not even convinced I have candida completely under control. I do believe I have it pretty much under control but there is a very fine line between having candida under control and having it completely out of control. A candida curing diet really can be a permanent diet for those who want to take candida completely serious, I am one of those.

I am so ashamed i panicked and bothered you on this forum. you wasted your kind concern on me.
Nonsense! I am on this forum for a reason, to help people and to learn myself. I am happy to help as much as I can.

I think it is EXTREMELY important to be under the supervision of a G.I. while you figure out what exactly is wrong with you. Supplementing and self medicating blindly based on what you think you may have is dangerous and you may learn to regret that decision. The doctor might push drugs on you but you are in control and you can reject any medication he/she recommends if you feel strongly about that. The doctors are great tools to use for diagnostic procedures. They are educated to identify symptoms and can tell you how mild or severe your ailment may be. You may not even have a chronic condition but a simple gastro problem that needs a quick fix. You will be glad to know what you are dealing with rather than stressing about the myriad of possibilities on the table. When you learn about the condition you actually do have, you are able to attack it with the best weapons available instead of guessing a few treatments that may even worsen what you do actually have.

Although I do not trust or appreciate modern allopathic drugs, I do appreciate a doctor's opinion, education, and networking. I think you will find that doctors aren't as scary when you go into the appointment realizing you are the boss, not him/her.

Have you tried juicing?
Are you trying to eat organic vegetables?
Do G.I. problems run in the family?

Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 11-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.
11-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #118
bunnyceleste

awesome juice combo of the day- gold beet, carrot, celery, apple, lemon ginger zingy golden yum! as far as my experience with a gnarly stricture juicing is pure medicine.
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #119
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
That sounds fab, will definitely be trying it.
11-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #120
mink

Hi Gianni,

i appreciate your good advice. G.i. problems dont run in the family as far as I am aware, my parents nor their siblings nor my grandparents had any g. i. problems.

I completely agree with your view on Doctors, their education, networking and the valuable role they play. I did ask my Doctor to investigate the pains for me but she refused to take any investigative steps and instead referred me to a psychiatrist on the basis that when I went to A&E they couldnt find anything wrong. She said she would not give me any diagnostic tests until I had finished a course of psychiatric sessions and had the results.

I agree with your views on sleep. I have noticed a significant improvement in pain (disappearing) due to efforts to regulate my sleep pattern which is difficult with M.E. (which I have been diagnosed with by a specialist) if i overdo things (go past my strength limit) instead of feeling sleepy adrenaline gets released and i get insomnia, mental fatigue (lack of focus, easily distracted, inability to make decisions, slow thinking and response). So it is a long term ongoing battle for me. I am trying to get up at the same time and earlier everyday even though i only get a few hours sleep. I think because i have had chronic insomnia over a period of 11 years due to M.E. the pain is more of a problem with me if i dont get sleep now, although before this latest digestive pain was never a symptom with me of insomnia, because i think the stress situation undermined my health on a deeper level than before its the only reason i can think of.

I| use a lumie sunray 100 lamp with simulates sunset and dawn (it alters the sleep/awake chemicals to induce sleep/wake) its brilliant at both much nicer than an alarm |(there is an alarm if you are worried you wont wake up but i dont need it) when i am in M.E. adrenaline mode then i have to do the sunset a few times and i also feel more dead than alive on waking. But otherwise if i am in control of my sleep pattern i wake up happy because of the sunrise effect. |You are right about breathing exercise.I do this also before I go to sleep thanks for the great advice.

I notice an increase in symptoms due to stress triggers. It is not in my control to remove all the triggers but acting on bible principles helps me to have more control over how i react. i find i need to pray for wisdom and "power beyond what is normal" to do this, especially due to my own imperfection. I do this every day as stress can come unexpectedly. Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are fascinating bible books as is the book of James. The bible is a wonderful revealer of human nature - which hasnt changed - and it gives insight into common pitfalls of humankind and how to avoid them. Its helped me understand that my own imperfection can at times cause/add to problems but also what I need to do about it. I find it fascinating. Also prayer brings "the peace of God that excels all thought" (philippians 4:6,7) which i find amazing. Its not about miracles. its about working in conjunction with my prayer, praying sincerely and gaining accurate knowledge of the God who made the heavens and earth engenders a close relationship, improves the quality of pray and develops deeper faith and trust. I find reading and studying the bible calms me. I am also thinking of getting a deep tissue massage (i think its called a Swiss holistic massage). I note you find yoga helps but lying down and letting someone do the work appeals to me, due to the M.E. As for the stress triggers I feel I can remove, i am being pro-active towards that end thought it will take time.

I was very impressed with the Angel juicer. While I was figuring out which one to buy, i discovered that phytoestrogens are causing flare ups of my endometriosis symptoms (the symptoms and pains are different to the g.i. pains). I normally just drink water at home but since staying at mum's i had been drinking a lot of peppermint and using a peppermint cleanser (peppermint is high in phytoestrogens) I have never been so sensitive before perhaps the stress has weakened me overall. When i stopped drinking the herbal teas its better, but i am still sensitive to foods high in p.e's which i had never been sensitive to before. So I didnt buy the juicer, as i am concerned that this would only concentrate the phyto estrogens i would be ingesting but partly also because i had seen some improvement in the g.i. pains from improving my sleep. I am hoping this phytoestrogen thing is just temporary.

instead I am eating kale every day, and I am sure it is acting on the candida (eating foods with biotin helps fight candida) it flared up at first but now i am seeing an improvement. I am going to stick with it. I got the idea of Kale from your receipe and I researched and saw it is high in biotin. So Thank you hugely for that Gianni. You are right about it being a life long diet, people have got candida back again after relaxing their diet once their symptoms left them.

I dont seem to have a problem with grains. I have been tested for celiac disease in the course of being diagnosed for M.E and this was negative. Also I feel I simply could not give them up. Of course if i did start to feel they were affecting me I would probably have no choice not to give them up.

I had a chat with the Psychiatrist and we agreed it is probably best for me to wait until I go home before I start sessions but i have the option of starting sessions in my mum's area if necessary. I dont feel that its necessary at the moment.

Thanks Gianni for your encouragement about Doctors and invaluable insight into stress, sleep and your determination to fight your candida, you've strengthened me again.

I really hope you receive back the good vibes and care and attention that you give to me and others
My very best wishes for you and take care Gianni.
Mink.

Last edited by mink; 11-26-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!