Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!

04-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #151
monirob

My Support Groups:
I think I will try juicing along with SCD. I'll take all the help I can get towards a normal life. I'll start off with just one glass in the mornings. Any ideas for a cheap but good juicer?
04-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #152
Gianni

My Support Groups:
This question isn't really about juicing, but nutrition in general. I often have this problem when people give examples of their diet - I don't understand how you can survive on such low calorie food! Unless you are using huge amounts of olive oil, I don't see how it would be possible to gain enough calories. How much salad, soup and juice do you have to consume to maintain a healthy weight?
Well I am no longer vegan and do include fish and eggs in my diet now. While I was vegan, however getting enough calories was quite a task at the beginning but I simply defeated that by eating a lot. When I didn't have a meal I was almost always snacking on something like fruit, nuts, raisins, avocados etc. It actually still resonates with me today, now that i did that for so long I tend to always need to keep my hand and mouth busy, so I always make sure I have plenty of avocados lying around .

All of my salads included one whole avocado and many of them also included nuts, whether they be almonds, walnuts, cashews etc etc. Avocados can hold up to 330 calories while nuts hold a healthy punch of calories as well. I was underweight in the beginning and it took me awhile before I started to gain some weight. I believe that if you give your body enough fat, calories, nutrition and you aren't gaining weight then your body has more important things on its mind at the moment and doesn't want to hold on to the extra calories and fat. As soon as i started feeling better gut wise, I started to gain weight even though my diet had stayed consistently the same.

Also including foods like squash, bananas and carrots will give you some full healthy calories.

There's not much energy in fruit, and even less in vegetables, so how is juice a concentrated dose of energy? Or are you referring to nutrients rather than energy?

I'm always looking for ways to get my weight up, so I'd be interested to know how you think juicing would fit into a weight-gaining diet. I do have smoothies sometimes as a way to get fruit which goes down easier than chewing through whole pieces of fruit.
In the case of complex carbs you would be correct. But again these juices aren't just single or double doses of fruits or veggies. These are often 7+ doses of fruits and vegetables concentrated into a small amount. So you aren't eating just an apple or just a head of broccoli but rather a massive dose of many fruits and veggies.

And yes I was using energy there as a reference to what a tired body would need and that would be essential nutrients for your immune system.

But the greatest thing here is the lack of digestion required to assimilate these nutrients that are already in liquid form. While a full solid food meal might hold more complex carbs, energy is wasted digesting the food to get the complex carbs and nutrients. So if you instead give the body liquid nutrients and liquid carbs you are gaining more of a net profit of energy as the body does not have to break down the food much as the juicer has already done that for you.

I'm sure you have experienced a food coma after eating a large meal. Well you don't get tired just because, you get tired because the body is sending blood to your digestive organs and expending energy to digest the food which means less energy going towards other systems of the body like maybe the immune system and the many functions of it. Instead drink a juice and your body continues the immune functions, has a huge dose of nutrients and energy that will all be absorbed at minimal loss and you are not groggy or tired a win win.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
04-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #153
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I think I will try juicing along with SCD. I'll take all the help I can get towards a normal life. I'll start off with just one glass in the mornings. Any ideas for a cheap but good juicer?
the omega juice brand is a favorite of mine. It has a lot of different price ranges and people seem to be really happy with their purchases.
04-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #154
Gianni

My Support Groups:
My biggest question (and I know this might have already been covered but it's a lot to read lol) is how long would I have to juice to achieve results/cure? Also, do I juice for every meal or just some meals? Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give.
Beach Bum answered this well. Only thing I will add is my personal experience with it. I think its safe to say you should be juicing for well over a year if you want to give it an honest shot. I will personally be juicing for the rest of my life but I don't imagine myself juicing every day 5 years from now, I just think its a healthy habit that I should never break. You should feel higher energy levels within the first week and then you might feel better after a few months of juicing, results vary so its hard to tell.

All the best
04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #155
acc929

My Support Groups:
I'm on a full-liquid (and *some* purées) diet until my surgery and got my juicer in the mail today. This is so great! I really don't miss food that much at this point (haven't *eaten* in weeks - weird how abstract a concept food can become!) but I was really missing that fresh feeling you get after a good, light salad. I'm really into eating well and fibre was never reaaally a problem, and the amount of milk and sugar I've been consuming to put weight on/not chew the past couple weeks had left me feeling like I needed something cleansing and fresh! Fruit juice was falling short. My TI is looking totally blocked on CT (my dad/md said he was surprised I could drink OJ) and so my parents were a bit *concerned* about my consuming anything having to do with leafy greens, but I insisted that this would just be the juice. Didn't bother my stomach one bit, virtually no cramps! Juiced a ton of spinach, blueberries, strawberries, ginger, and a pear as soon as I opened the thing and it felt SO good and clean . I am a convert and totally never would have thought to even order the juicer if I hadn't seen this forum a couple weeks ago. Juicing is the best!
04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #156
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Hi, I have some questions! (I'm sure they have already been answered before - sorry!)
So I'm starting to think about juicing. Mainly because I just want to be doing all I can to stay as healthy as possible. I really like the idea of all the goodness of fruits and veg without the fibre.
I have been making smoothies recently which I enjoy (I know its not the same thing) so I guess thats why I have been thinking about stepping it up.
Here are my questions/reservations.

How expensive are juicers and how big are they?
The reason I ask is because I live with my parents atm, we have a small kitchen, not really any spare cupboard or surface space (I have already had to put my coffee machine in the office). I'm not sure if we physically have enough space for another cooking utensil! I'm not going to be able to move out for a couple of years though... don't want to have to wait.

Are they easy to clean?
I'll be honest I'm messy and lazy! Atm I put the blender in soak and leave it for my mum to clean up and I don't really want to be doing that!

Are they quick? Would you be able to do it before work, or do they store? Could you do it the night before and take it to work with you?

How much of an ingredient makes how much juice? Is it financially viable or do you need like 30 carrots for one glass?

lol at all my very practical questions! Thanks
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #157
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I bought mine at Argos,it was about £100 BUT you can get them a LOT cheaper at Argos and also on line.Have a google.Mine comes into 5 parts.As soon as I have juiced and BEFORE I drink up,I scrape all the fibre left in the machine,into a carrier bag,rinse the parts under the tap and leave them to drain.Next day they get a hot soapy wash.You soon get used to the faff and it is worth it.Today,I had 4 carrots,2 celery sticks,1 sweet pot.,1 apple and 1 pear and got 2 good glasses full of juice.I don't get as much juice from greens but there's loads of nutrition.I usually drink mine immediately,as it's full of goodness when first juiced.Not sure how much the ingrediants cost as it goes in with the weekly shop,but I would average about £10 depending on what I fancy.Have a look on Ebay or Gumtree for a used juicer.There'll be hundreds lying around that have only been used once or twice.Hope I've helped.Please give it a go,you won't regret it.

PS. It takes about 10 mins all together,so you could get up a bit earlier or do it in the evening.
04-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #158
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I have only been juicing for about 10 mnths and am not very good at the scientific aspects of it,I only know that it's exceptionally good for me and it tastes good.Gianni is our juice Guru and he is a wealth of information an support,so look for him on the members list or look at the other juicing threads on the forum.Best Wishes and I hope your son enjoys your efforts.
04-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #159
Jazmom

sorry, i must have posted incorrectly

-------------------------------------------------------------

current meds

Triple fish Oil
Bone-up
Multi B complex
2400 Vit D3
04-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #160
Jazmom

Hi,

So glad i found this posting!
I have a 13 year old son who recently was diagnosed with crohns. He was put on Iron supplements as he was anemic. after 6 weeks, there has been no improvement in his anemia. I was told during clinicals that his diet did not need to change, that he could eat whatever he wanted. My son was, of course, thrilled with that statement. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground before i could respond. When I questioned the dietician about absorption issues, she responded that that was only a concern if there were absorption issues....duh...I was under the impression that crohns, particuarily in a beginning flare were rife with absorption issues. So, now, after weekly blood tests we are seeing that his body is not taking in the needed nutrients or maybe there needs to be another/also way of introduction for needed nutrient. My son is taking his medication and supplements. He has been less thrilled with the new restrictions I have implemented. NO soda, NO fast food. We were never big consumers of this fare, but i recognize the need for foods that will not add to his inflammation. We have a Breville juicer. My husband and i enjoy
juicing fasts every so often, and the kids have been given juice to try, they have not however been inclined to do more than the occasional glass. When i asked about enteral nutrition therapy the dietician stated that it was difficult for kids long term, and suggested i use protein shakes or Boost or Ensure for added calories. Do you have any suggestions for maybe a morning juice. I tend to agree with your idea about the immune system needing help, rather than being squashed.

Thanks
04-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #161
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Well I am no longer vegan and do include fish and eggs in my diet now. While I was vegan, however getting enough calories was quite a task at the beginning but I simply defeated that by eating a lot. When I didn't have a meal I was almost always snacking on something like fruit, nuts, raisins, avocados etc. It actually still resonates with me today, now that i did that for so long I tend to always need to keep my hand and mouth busy, so I always make sure I have plenty of avocados lying around .

All of my salads included one whole avocado and many of them also included nuts, whether they be almonds, walnuts, cashews etc etc. Avocados can hold up to 330 calories while nuts hold a healthy punch of calories as well. I was underweight in the beginning and it took me awhile before I started to gain some weight. I believe that if you give your body enough fat, calories, nutrition and you aren't gaining weight then your body has more important things on its mind at the moment and doesn't want to hold on to the extra calories and fat. As soon as i started feeling better gut wise, I started to gain weight even though my diet had stayed consistently the same.

Also including foods like squash, bananas and carrots will give you some full healthy calories.

Thanks for the reply. Maintaining your healthy weight on your diet seems much more feasible now I know you include nuts. I can't digest nuts very well, but do use peanut butter for its high calorie content (and because it tastes great too ). Avocados are something I eat regularly also. I didn't think carrots would give you many calories though?

I'm not sure that my body isn't holding onto the calories in the way that you describe happened for yourself - my Crohn's is quite mild. I think it's just that I'm not eating enough. I have motility problems (gastroparesis), which isn't really something I can heal. Because I eat little and often it feels like I'm eating all the time, and because I feel so full it's hard for me to believe I'm not eating enough. But when I actually tried recording what I ate and calculated an approximate calorie intake for a few days, I was only getting around 1500 a day.
04-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #162
acc929

My Support Groups:
Hey UnXmas. That's too bad about the gastroparesis I don't think I have it *legit* but the feeling of food not moving through very quickly and feeling a bit backed up is definitely something I get. It feels awful! What might help - I don't know if you're already doing this - is adding oil to anything you can add extra oil too (like not just for cooking things). Just one tablespoon of Extra-virgin Olive Oil has 120 calories, same goes for coconut oil and flaxseed oil, and both are beneficial to overall health and also supposed to be good for the digestive tract . The latter two are mild enough to add to a juice, for example, and olive oil is a good addition to soups/rice dishes/etc. Since I'm on liquids I find it's a really easy way to bump my calorie intake and manage to get over 2000/daily. Drinking your calories is bad for those who want to lose weight but key for those of us with digestive problems. I found when I was allowed low-res that eating solids actually *decreased* my calorie intake per day because I felt fuller. Maybe that will help a bit? High-cal fluids and oils!
04-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #163
bunnyceleste

Ill just add my two cents to that to say that hemp oil is fantastic in fresh juices! and very good for you too!

gluten free, cow dairy free, coffee free, cane sugar free

probiotics, apple cider vinegar for low stomach acid, vit D, herbal mineral adaptogen tincture, herbal liquid iron& B vitamin supplement

fresh veggie juice daily

yoga for stress management
acupuncture&massage
self love

first surgery after 11 years of crohns- 80cm of small bowel removed march 4 2013

my food blog - www.shortguts.blogspot.ca
04-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #164
Luckystar715

I don't see the connection here. I understand that yes if you don't eat gluten it doesn't mean you are cured. But that's like saying if you stay away from crohn's aggravating foods that doesn't mean you are cured. Of course not. I am not suggesting you take a sideline seat and play defensive im saying get on the offensive and help the immune system, be pro active and fix the underlying problems, im saying don't tread lightly around the big bully im saying gather your information, gather your knowledge and face it head on.

It is changing the underlying issue though, what isn't changing the underlying issue is drugs. Drugs only treat symptoms. I get the feeling that you think diet also only treats symptoms, but food is amazingly powerful.

What do you think the underlying issue is? If it is genetic why didn't our whole lineage have it, did your parents have it? mine didn't.

In a society that keeps on popping up with all these condition we have to look at our systems of health in this country. What do we do drastically different that other countries aren't doing? Its our diet! if it looks like fire, and smells like fire it must be fire. By blaming genetics (and this is my opinion i want to stress that) you are essentially saying that if it looks like fire and smells like fire it must be a 20 ton whale. Or the smell of the fire is just being ignored.

You have to recognize the underline problem to figure out the underline solution. Genetics are so complicated and confusing and with such a confusing disease its natural for people to blame the most complicated source because "if it was that simple my doctor would have told me". "If you want something done in this world you have to do it yourself" it is so true.

Also if you can blame genetics it takes out the blame from you. When i was first diagnosed i said to myself "i was dealt bad hand" "there is nothing i can do about it" But that is non sense. Just how humans have created a stronger and stronger genome through evolution why can't we grow stronger.. why can't we take our own destiny in our hands just how primal humans did in the past.

Also I know you believe that it has something to do with genetics. Do you have a theory on how the genetics have caused the crohns? For example do you think we just genetically have a broken immune system or are you unsure, you just believe that it has something to do with genetics?

Sorry for the rant, i am fairly passionate about this stuff.

Oops yeah sorry about that i did mean nitrite. And yes of course, i have a source that actually does a study on peroxynitrite versus Vitamin C (click that).

Hope that helped.

Gianni
I also dont want to take away from the juicing part of this post, but I feel the need to share information here as well.

First, I agree that we all need to be proactive in changing our diet to help address our disease. I believe that diet is a contributing factor to either increasing inflammation in the GI tract or making it better. So I agree with you in that food and diet is a powerful treatment. However, I dont believe its a cure. I do believe there is a genetic component to this disease. And i want to share why I think this and you may just think I am a unique instance and thats fine.

Like you, neither of my parents have Crohn's disease. BUT my fathers side of the family does have it. My Grandma's sister had Crohn's disease. And my dad's cousin (daughter of a different sister of grandma) also has Crohn's disease. And so do I. With that said, it would lead me to believe that Crohn's disease would be a recessive gene. This is also not to say that other members of my family dont have it, it may just not be diagnosed at this time. No one in my family spoke of Crohn's disease until I was really sick and the doctor asked which of my parents side of the family had it. For a long time, noone spoke up because I think they felt "responsible" for passing it on I guess and its not something that the symptoms people find to dicsuss at the dinner table. The doctor also said tha psoraisis was also related to crohns- i understand how autoimmune disease connect to each other- but my dad has psoraisis alone without any other autoimmune diseases at this time. So its food for thought.

The other reason i disagree with saying juicing is a cure is because food isnt the only trigger to crohns, at least not for me. If i am understanding your thought process, and I very well could be misunderstanding, you are saying that food and juicing can be used to restore the immune system. I feel like if there are many triggers to crohns besides just food and diet that trigger the immune system to attack the digestive tract. In saying that, the way I interrupt that then would be that if I did juicing alone or changing my diet alone, I would be have a strong immune system and it wouldn't respond to any of my triggers and example being stress. I think my immune system may be stronger, but my immune system is still going to respond in a certain fashion because of the presence of triggers. That's where i believe the genetic component comes into play again. I hope this makes sense. Again, this is just my thoughts.

I am curious if stress is a trigger for you? and if so, if juicing does in fact decrease your immune system from "getting mad" during times of stress? Or in other words, do you experience less symptoms while juicing in stressful situations?

With all that said, I am intrigued by the juicing and will explore this in my diet. I am going to continue to do my research in this area and try some of your reipes. I also look forward to what you have to share in the future in regards to vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge thus far!
04-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #165
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I think there are problems with saying food addresses the underlying cause better than medications. Some Crohn's meds, if I understand correctly, tackle the inflamation by affecting the immune system. They don't address a genetic cause, or any other cause), but I don't see how food would do that either.

Also,

What do you think the underlying issue is? If it is genetic why didn't our whole lineage have it, did your parents have it? mine didn't.
This is incorrect - an illness does not have to affect every person you're related to in order to be genetic.

This concerns me too:

Also if you can blame genetics it takes out the blame from you. When i was first diagnosed i said to myself "i was dealt bad hand" "there is nothing i can do about it" But that is non sense. Just how humans have created a stronger and stronger genome through evolution why can't we grow stronger.. why can't we take our own destiny in our hands just how primal humans did in the past.
Blaming people for a disease that is in no way their fault is an unfair way of thinking. A lot of people experiment with diet with no success. It doesn't mean they're unwilling to try to fight their disease, it means they are unable to. Even if people do not try to use diet to fight their disease, this is understandable too, as there is no accepted evidence that Crohn's can be improved with diet.

Crohn's is not a result of anything any of us knowingly did to ourselves, and there is no cure. A lot of people can improve their symptoms with meds, diets, and other lifestyle changes, etc. However, if someone doesn't want to try to find effective treatments for themselves, I don't think this should reflect negatively on them.

With so many things being claimed as beneficial to Crohn's, it could very easily become too confusing for someone to have to work out what to experiment with in order to feel better, especially if they've already tried some things already and been disappointed. Some may not be able to afford various treatments - whether mainstream, alternative or dietary. Some may have so many other demands on their time or energy that they can't devote much to researching treatments for themselves. This is why it's perfectly natural for many to largely rely on what their doctors tell them.

At least mainstream doctors can give you an idea of how likely it is that a particular med will work and what the side effects may be, based on trials and research. With diet and other alternative treatments, there's often not much more than anecdotal evidence and hypothetical theories to go on. If a person enjoys researching diet and has good results, then it's absolutely worthwhile to use diet to their advantage. But those who don't try shouldn't be blamed for their level of health.

Last edited by UnXmas; 04-21-2013 at 07:46 AM.
05-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #166
glory_h

My Support Groups:
I love this thread! Thank you Gianni for starting it and also the thread with recipes. I do have a question for you.

Firstly i want to point out that these high oxalate levels in these vegetables are only found in commercially grown produce, not in organic or local produce.
I had a kidney stone about two years ago and since then have been careful to avoid leafy greens. Recently I've started juicing more and really want to incorporate more greens. I do usually use a bit of organic spinach or kale, and chase it with a whole lot of water to help flush the oxalates. So far I haven't had any problems with stones, and I'm wondering if it might have to do with the fact that I juice organic.

Do you have any link to support the statement above? I'd love to have some kind of reassurance that I can safely introduce more dark leafy greens, as they are excellent for my energy.

Thanks in advance!
06-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #167
VintageCore

Questions:

1. What is your opinion on juicing organic fruits and vegetables versus non organic?
2. Do you try to stay away from vegetables potentially high in nitrates?
3. Are there any books you recommend for someone just starting out? A step by step for people who want to get started would be invaluable. I think there is a lot of interest but many are overwhelmed as to where to start.
4. Not all Crohnies are alike. Not all fruit and veggies are a like. I just wonder if juicing can be taken to a whole new level. Can we make the approach much more scientific. For example, if someone has a deficiency in magnesium and calcium, is there a recipe for them. If someone has Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, are there recipes for them. If someone is constipated, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Prednisone, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Methotrexate which interferes with folate, is there a recipe for them. And on and on. Thoughts on that?

It is pretty obvious you did not read it all. Your first question really gave that away and confirmed you just want to debate and be a skeptic. It is just advice for those who feel they are worth taking a shot at drinking pure vegetable juice - pure real food.

Everything in moderation is a dangerous saying thrown around often. No, we should all be taking extreme measures and putting extreme measures to be the best creatures we can be. We have become a society who views health and vegetables as something in moderation because they take time, and do not give us that immediate high we get from fats and sugars. THIS WHOLE MINDSET NEEDS TO CHANGE.

I also want to point out that this post started out by stating that this is just his personal belief gained on his own experience. I do not have Crohn's But my husband of 10 years does. When I met him, he was a mess & on steroids. We were not even juicing in the beginning. When I met him I slowly got him to eat what I was eating an he saw that he was starting to feel better. It was tricky, We were just eating a partial vegan diet. Whole foods. He was SO brainwashed by the doctors that he had to eat Meat, Potatoes, Over cooked vegetables, carbs, roots, and COULD NOT HAVE NUTS OR SEEDS.

It took a long time to convince and educate him.

To me, this dietary advice just sounded like an unnatural fabricated USDA diet designed for masses of consumers, overcooked soft broccoli, soft cooked carrots??

I believe it is just easier for doctors to just to point out a few key points and put you on medicine. Most doctors do not have the time and energy to sit down and take a full inventory of what we consume, and I am sure they just assume that most sick people are set in their ways and routinely eating a poor typical American diet. I mean really, How is a doctor or even a dietician going to truly enforce a diet or even begin to explain about pesticides, processed foods, corn syrup, gluten, corn fillers, meat fillers, the atrocities of industrialized farming, the dangers of all of these ingredients we cannot even pronounce, food absent of nutrition, etc etc..

But, when was the last time you heard a doctor tell a person to stop eating vegetables and fruit and just eat all processed foods and meats?

So when they give people advice like, " do not eat any vegetables stay away from fiber... take this pill" It is a nice way of saying, " There is no way I am going to get the Average American to accept that they should be eating 80 percent vegetables in their diet to get the optimal performance from their amazing bodies.

Through the years, my husband who is now 50 has NOT been on steroids, and spent most of the last 10 years since we got married in remission. We had ONE VERY SCARY bout 4 years ago. IT WAS SO OBVIOUS TO ME WHAT WAS MAKING THIS MAN SICK, as I am the one cooking and he is the one making these crazy demands. He insisted for a long time that MEN NEED MEAT. He was eating chicken, fish, and animal products often, cheating and eating processed food. When he is not eating a real food diet, and cheating his body lets him know. He has also recently suffered from a fissure. This is when I really started to enforce his diet faithfully. Not letting him leave without a healthy lunch, so he is not forced to make unhealthy choices when he is out on the road working. I juice for him every day, and pack a healthy lunch. NO MEAT PRODUCTS! Good wholesome whole foods. At 50, he is starting look better than ever.

I think a lot of the foods the last few generations have been eating as a result of the industrial revolution, mass production and advertisement. We are being influenced to think that there is absolutely nothing wrong to eat what everyone else is eating. In America, we are descendants of people who came from all sorts of regions. I have my own theory that my husbands ancestors from Italy would have eaten quite differently than his mother cooked and the diet he picked up on his own as an adult. I would imagine they would have eaten a diet that resembled a cornucopia of garden favorites. Colorful and rich in nutrients.

I forgot to mention I read this book years ago, Dr. Heal thyself. The man who wrote this book has a very similar story with Crohn's. Despite the amazing story and before and after photos. My husband has been a very hard sell. He spent 9 years prior to meeting me being conditioned to believe he was sick with this terminal disease, and the end result was a colostomy bag.

We are living in times when the pharmaceutical companies have a greater vision, it is called a bottom line. Anyone who has ever worked in a hospital or drs office knows how much they invest in their sales reps. If their focus was to make the world a better place, and get everyone on the path to optimal health... Well there would not be such a high price tag on these medicines. There would be more emphasis on our diets. More regulations on the food industry. BETTER LABELS. Etc.

Juicing is something I wish I would have done MUCH SOONER. For BOTH OF US. I look and feel a million times better, it has only enhanced my vegan lifestyle. It also ensures I am getting the nutrients I need. My husband is glowing, mentally he struggles. He is 50 and he has been generally conditioned his whole life to trust the "smart" educated doctors.

More and more people are juicing. More and more people are beating this unnatural phenomenon we call the American Health Crisis. Through technology and education people are becoming more enlightened and educated.

I just find it mind boggling that people would even become skeptical when it comes to something as valuable as juicing. However, these are the same people feel that handing a CHILD a colorful box with the word JUICE on is equal to a serving of actual real fruit. We have been duped into this whole sick belief system built by consumerism. therefore, I believe that Crohn's and the many other autoimmune diseases are just a manifestation of misinformation of the masses.

Just look at what the USDA has concocted as the "recommended" diet. The data proves that the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants, etc.. are the key to fighting and preventing diseases. Yet we still allow the greedy money hungry corporations dominate the misinformation. (just google the meat industry's fight against lowering the recommended serving of meat just to protect their greedy industry and mass slaughtering and torture of animals)

What does one who is already sick and suffering have to lose by trying an alternative treatment?? If it does not pan out.. The doctors will always be there if you want to go back on meds. This is veggies and fruit people, the basic stuff nature put here for us... THIS IS NOTHING TO BE A SKEPTIC ABOUT! THIS IS A NO BRAINER, anyone healthy or sick should be simplifying
and going back to the basics. Veering from this is what got us here in the first place. I say try it. I have seen nothing but good results in my husband.
06-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #168
ccec213

My Support Groups:
Hi friends,
I'm a longtime Crohn's sufferer and Crohnsforum lurker--decided to throw in my own two-bit theory.

I'm in a very similar boat to UnXMas--scarily thin, but not absorbing much of anything. I'd been trying a Paleo-style/SCD-style diet for awhile, but kept crashing and burning with "cheats." But I digress.

For a sort of gut rest/rebuilding, even for the rickety among us, what about something like this? I'm trying to think "gut rest" without adding to the starvation.

Several juices + bone broths only
several juices + bone broths + pemmican (a mixture of grassfed beef tallow and grassfed beef meat--look it up! US Wellness has a good kind you can buy)
Several day juice fast only, then baby-step in well cooked meats?

I believe protein is important to a healing body, so I want to make sure I'm getting it.

Then again...if I'm eating constantly but absorbing basically 0, maybe being on a very-low-calorie diet that is easily assimilated would be an improvement.

Helped? Or did I muddy the issue?

Thanks for this wonderful resource, everyone!
Caitlin
06-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #169
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
What does one who is already sick and suffering have to lose by trying an alternative treatment?? If it does not pan out.. The doctors will always be there if you want to go back on meds. This is veggies and fruit people, the basic stuff nature put here for us... THIS IS NOTHING TO BE A SKEPTIC ABOUT! THIS IS A NO BRAINER, anyone healthy or sick should be simplifying
and going back to the basics. Veering from this is what got us here in the first place. I say try it. I have seen nothing but good results in my husband.
Actually, I lost a lot by trying alternative treatments, and not just money. As a teenager, I found it extremely confusing when I was trying alternative treatments and adjusting my diet, as all these alternative practitioners were telling me they would make me feel better, but I didn't get better. I got worse. I got terrified of eating anything, because everything I'd read, every practitioner I saw, told me of more and more foods that were bad, that I had to give up.

My health only got worse, and I felt like a failure. The copious literature I read told me I could take control of my health and beat my illness. But I couldn't.

It upset my family and friends - I couldn't join in social meals anymore. I had to read the ingredients on everything I ate, buy separate food from everyone else, be neurotic about what I could and couldn't have. I couldn't be spontaneous any more, I couldn't relax and have fun, because I had to plan everything round shopping and meals. And I couldn't relax just a bit and find a happy medium, because everything I read said I had to follow their various instructions precisely or it wouldn't work.

There are so many conflicting views on how to beat disease and achieve health within alternative medicine. Why pick one way over another? I had enough of trying things that were suggested by alternative practitioners, I realised that anything based on anecdotal evidence and unfounded theories stood little chance of working.

Conventional medications have done me so much good - they've done things that no healthy eating plan could ever achieve.

I'm not advocating giving up all fruit and veg and stuffing yourself with nothing but sugar and fat, I'm not advocating conventional medication as always being the answer to everything, but I do think the most effective approach to diet is everything in moderation. Treating an illness and managing to live as well as possible with a chronic disease can not be achieved if you think of your state of health as entirely within your control, as you will end up blaming yourself when things get bad. Focusing on diet and healthy living so much that it is prioritised above other really important things in life should only be done if it is certain to work - which in the case of diet and Crohn's, it isn't.

Perhaps some people manage their symptoms through alternative diets and treatments without it encroaching on their life too much, but I found it dominating my thoughts and time, and I think much of the alternative diets can encourage people to adopt quite extreme measures, so those of us inclined to be obsessive like me run into problems.

I'm not sceptical for any other reason than the fact that I extensively tried this approach to medication and diet, and all it did was make me sicker.

Edit: Sorry for taking this thread off topic. I do think juicing is a healthy thing to do, but I also think it's not going to improve everyone's Crohn's symptoms, and people shouldn't be made to think that they're neglecting an opportunity to heal themselves if they're not treating their illness by following a particular diet or other alternative therapy, or are not juicing.

Last edited by UnXmas; 06-04-2013 at 07:18 AM.
06-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #170
Akki16

In the case of complex carbs you would be correct. But again these juices aren't just single or double doses of fruits or veggies. These are often 7+ doses of fruits and vegetables concentrated into a small amount. So you aren't eating just an apple or just a head of broccoli but rather a massive dose of many fruits and veggies.

And yes I was using energy there as a reference to what a tired body would need and that would be essential nutrients for your immune system.

But the greatest thing here is the lack of digestion required to assimilate these nutrients that are already in liquid form. While a full solid food meal might hold more complex carbs, energy is wasted digesting the food to get the complex carbs and nutrients. So if you instead give the body liquid nutrients and liquid carbs you are gaining more of a net profit of energy as the body does not have to break down the food much as the juicer has already done that for you.

I'm sure you have experienced a food coma after eating a large meal. Well you don't get tired just because, you get tired because the body is sending blood to your digestive organs and expending energy to digest the food which means less energy going towards other systems of the body like maybe the immune system and the many functions of it. Instead drink a juice and your body continues the immune functions, has a huge dose of nutrients and energy that will all be absorbed at minimal loss and you are not groggy or tired a win win.

Gianni
Gianni, I was hoping to get some clarity on how you began your diet initially? I've started juicing a little, and am trying to do a little soup, but it's not going to well. I'm pretty sure it's the boost plus though, with all the sugar that causes my issues. S I am going to take that out.

I'm having great difficulty with fruit. Any fruit, especially lemon. It's especially bad when I do drink the boost. I'm wondering did you start juicing with fruits and veggies right off the bat? And how we're your other meals composed? Did you start with only juices and then add in other foods?

Anyone else please feel free to chime in.
06-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #171
canuckscouter

My Support Groups:
Lemons, oranges and strawberries all still cause me problems and I'm doing freely well these days. I juice apples and pears with my veggies and that seems to be ok.

I also read somewhere that citrus fruits, oranges in particular, are a common cause of problems for people with BID.

I never did do a full elimination diet but I did simplify my diet a lot. Through this I have found some pretty reasonable stability. Turns out milk was my biggest killer.

Sent from my Android
06-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #172
cleuger

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Is anyone familiar with The Bella 1000 watt juicer? I'm looking at a new one on Ebay. Anyone have this model? if so is it a good juicer?

TIA

Diagnosed 10/02/2012 Crohns Colitis
05/28/14 Surgery Abscess due to Fistula
09/18/2014 Surgery Total Proctocolectomy
rectum removed and closed up.
Best Decision I ever made.

Gastro Released me said I didn't need meds any longer

Have 3 kids only 1 at home 17 yr old is Type 1 Diabetic

Currently Taking
Tramadol
Xanax
Multi Vitiman
08-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #173
Victoria816

Great post. Thank you for sharing!
08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #174
raj

Just a quick tip for people thinking of juicing. A good juicer costs a fair bit of money. I bought a relatively cheap one first to make sure I would use it and to see if I liked it first before investing in a better one. I use an omega vrt350hd and it's fantastic but it did cost a fair bit. If you don't like the juicing it would be a shame to waste the money. Try it first. Use mine every day. Couldn't get by without it now. Good luck
08-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #175
canuckscouter

My Support Groups:
I also used a cheep one at first but then I bought an omega 8006 which I like very much.

Last edited by canuckscouter; 09-09-2013 at 08:29 PM.
08-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #176
raj

Glad to hear it. My sister uses that one I think. She loves it.
08-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #177
Victoria816

I bought the Breyville Ikon. Seem to work great, but I need some recipes. Note to self... Don't try and do to much healthy greens at once. Bluck!
08-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #178
raj

Yeah. Too much greens at once can be hard to handle. Try and keep the juice simple is my advice. Four or less ingredients seems to work for me. I use a lot of carrots, kale, broccoli, apples and pears to sweeten and beets as well. Just experiment and see what you like.
08-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #179
maria
I love you God.

Okay so 7 yrs ago I sound just like you... I never had any bowel issues and my diet sucke before that then about a yr later after faithfully juicing during this time I lost energy,started bleeding on a daily baisis,pain was horrible. Then diagnosed with colitis. I was shocked! So I still felt passionate about juicing so I read that whatever you put on your skin absorbes a lot faster though your blood stream then if you were to digest it. So I juiced carrot,onion,melon,swiss,spinich,sometimes beet(cuz it stained my tub) ,cucumber, then I would lay in the bath and rub it all over me and let it sit within ten minutes I felt myself sweating and I felt this natural euphoric feeling. I loved it!then I woulrd fill the tub with hot water to let it really sink in and got better effects then after I would sweat out all the toxins and alway evey time id this I know the next day I would feel amazing so that's how I got my nutrients from juicing. I always felt better up until I got pregnant and got way to lazy and weak to do the juicing and my colitis would just go crazy. Also my goal was to reverse the aging process like the apple turrns brown that same thing that turns it brown is what kills the aging process I forgot the name but my goal was to look ten yrs younger at the age of forty and I m 32 and I can say well by what people tell me constantly I look ten yrs younger I they are shocked I have 4 kids. What's helped me was that juicing, cellfood, manuka honey. I'm sorry if my words don't come out right my cell won't let me look at what I'm typing so I'm just going along and hoping for the best :-) I always wondered why my body reacts horribly when I eat or dring any sort of veggie or any healthy food but feel fine when I eat horrible foods but feeding the juice through my skin makes me feel like a million bucks????? craa

I want to find a friend here in vancouver, washington with a stoma... I feel lonely.
Trying to stay gluten free.
08-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #180
maria
I love you God.

Is anyone familiar with The Bella 1000 watt juicer? I'm looking at a new one on Ebay. Anyone have this model? if so is it a good juicer?

TIA
Currently I have this one. I like it a lot so far. The one I had before this was a jack lalane juicer and before that was a really cheap one I don't know the brand I forgot I bought twice cuz it broke within a few months and can say I'm liking this bella so much more than any other juicer I've had. I do want to point out the jack lalane lasted me a long time.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!