• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member to Crohn's Forum!

Hi there!

My name is Megan. I am 26 and was dx with CD in June 2008. I started on Pentasa for about 2 years before realizing that I am allergic to it (no wonder my pain and symptoms were WORSE after starting it!)

I am currently on 150mg of Azathioprine, but I am regularly on prednisone tapers while the Aza starts working. If this fails I will begin Remicade infusions.

My diet sucks, I can't eat anything I used to, but the prednisone keeps my weight up.

Hopefully I will make some good friends here, build a support network and learn more about this "fun" group of diseases! ;)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

How long have you been on the Aza? Are you on the regular bloods for this? Is your tum feeling more settled now? What foods are you now eating? We do have a sub forum for the Aza that is worth having a look at so you have a chat with others who are on this if you like: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64.

There is a lot of helpful info and support here so do have a good look around.

AB
xx

Hi AB! I have been on Aza for almost 24 months. I started it in December 2010 and tapered down on Prednisone from 60mg. The Aza was working fine until about 2 weeks ago. I am now having a flare. My diet has dwindled down to no meat, no milk/ice cream (occasional yogurt/chesse), no raw veggies, no spicy food. I pretty much eat rice, pasta, soups, steamed veggies and I make my own veg/fruit juice.

I get blood counts done every 2-4 weeks to make sure my white count doesn't dip down too low (it has gotten down to 2.0 in the past).

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate being able to finally let all this out!

Meg

SarahBear

Hi, Megan! Welcome to the forum.

Your experience with Pentasa sounds horrible. It's really disappointing when something we're given to help only makes things worse. :(

Is the Prednisone helping with your flare? Hopefully it'll get it under control and the Azathioprine will continue to work for you. Wishing you the best!

Angrybird

Are there plans to increase the Aza dose given this recent flare? Have you also been on the Pred all this time and have you been given a calcium supplement to take with it?

I haven't talked to my GI since the flare began. I have been off pred since February. I'm thinking of taking some though, I always have it on hand. I do take calcium with D (sublingual because I am not absorbing it orally). My potassium also keeps crashing to 2.7-3.0.

Angrybird

I would get a call in to your doc so they can to tests to check disease activity and also let you know whether to start the Pred and if so at what dose.