Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Do you believe crohn's is purely genetic?

03-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #121
blazeking

My Support Groups:
I never had inflammatory issues until I was 9 and I got a bad case of salmonella food poisoning and subsequent huge dose of antibiotics. Pretty much right afterwards, I developed canker sores and sebbhorreic dermatitis, iow inflammation. I do think gut trauma early on in your life can be a trigger. No one else in the family tree has crohn's.
03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #122
debbie261

My Support Groups:
I have had Crohn's for over 20 years and have not found one single relative on either side of my family that ever had Crohn's,but way back then I am sure if they did have it no one knew what it was for a proper diagnosis.so it is hard to say if it is genetic or not.
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #123
missylock42

My Support Groups:
I don't think so no one in my family has it and I do now
03-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #124
ASM

I have had it for 33 yrs. I want to believe it is genetic, but it requires a trigger. It is the only way I can rationalize it in my mind. No one else in my family has it.
03-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #125
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Do you think Crohn's is only caused because of genetics?

Do you think if you carried the gene you could have done anything to avoid manifesting the disease? Or do you think it is left up to chance?
I think a predisposition for Crohn's is determined by our genes. Aren't there diseases where a faulty gene is the cause, but the fault is not inherited from a parent? (Perhaps someone with a better knowledge of this could clarify?) That might be why some people get Crohn's even without a family history. Either that or people can carry the Crohn's gene(s) without necessarily showing signs of it themselves.

I'm not sure whether something enviornmental triggers Crohn's.

I think maybe hormones play a role in triggering Crohn's to begin in someone with a genetic predisposition. Like many other illnesses, Crohn's often seems to begin during teenage years. And don't some women go into remission during pregnancy? I wish I could remember where I read these things now!

I definitely don't think Crohn's can be avoided. To avoid it, it would have to have an enviornmental trigger, which isn't yet proven, and we would have to know for certain what that trigger is. You can't avoid something if you don't even know what it is you have to avoid. There are also things which may be impossible to avoid even if we knew they would trigger Crohn's.
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #126
kiny

Crohn's often seems to begin during teenage years.
Might be more related to the activity of peyer's patches in the small intestine during teenage years.
03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #127
carrollco

My Support Groups:
Interesting discussion.

I have Crohn's disease, my daughter has UC (although my GI says no way, it has to be Crohn's), and my youngest son has diverticulitis.

My mother had Crohn's and diverticulitis. My sister has diverticulitis. My brother doesn't have a thing wrong with him. One cousin's only son has Crohn's and many more have diverticulitis. My doc says some young geneticist would love to get his hands on my family.

Previous Meds:

Methotrexate--had kidney/liver damage
Lialda--allergic to aspirin--but didn't know until my Crohn's got much worse.
Prednisone--only when I have to!
03-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #128
Josephine

My Support Groups:
I think genes have lots to answers for the part in medical and mental health in families.
I have crohns, I am only one but throught generations on irish is ceicail disease 5 people out 12 sibling have, my mother and second cousin.
03-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #129
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
I read a nifty quote about genetic propensity toward disease, vs. actually developing the disease.

"Genetics is the gun, but environment pulls the trigger".
06-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #130
houston

My Support Groups:
I am the only person in my whole family that has it. No sisters, brothers, cousins, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, noone but me has it in our family.
Me too never heard of it until i got it and no one in my family has it. My children or grandchildren dont have either I Hope none of them get it i wouldnt wish
it on anyone
Sandra
06-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #131
kiel

My uneducated opinion is that the genetics set the framework and then environmental factors set it in motion.

I have always had the potential to develop Crohns, but diet, smoking, drinking etc etc, all the 'risk' factors add up to cause a flare which in turn causes the diagnosis.

I'm also quite lucky I think, despite being diagnosed I lived with fairly low-pain crohn's for several years I think and still haven't had the crippling pain from more severe cases I read about here and other places online. It really doesn't affect my day to day life as much as many people, so maybe my view of it is a little different and once it's had a good old fashioned flare-up to change that :ybatty
10-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #132
jjk308

It has a weak genetic connection, at best. Out of 100+ fairly close relatives I know of 3 besides myself with Crohn's. Perhaps 1 person in 100 has Crohn's so this isn't a big effect. And its hard to separate environmental effects like cleanliness that are the result of a culture that's also shared by a family.

It seems to be a civilized disease, and the theory is our modern sanitary conditions and lack of intestinal parasites don't give the immune system enough real threats to work on resulting in IBDs. That's the rationale behind the pig whipworm treatment.
10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #133
CrazyCrohnieKatie

I personally think it is purely genetic. My dad, aunt, sister, gma and gpa all had/have it. Along with myself. I am the youngest child, parents had me in their early 40's, I was told by my Dr that that is another reason I have Crohns, bc he said just like older parents have a higher risk for a child with Dow. Syndrome, its the same with crohns. I out of all my siblings had the highest chance of ge it, which I did.
10-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #134
Jpow

My Support Groups:
maybe genes have some play in it, but no one in my entire family has Crohn's or anything even remotely related to IBD
10-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #135
Amy2

My Support Groups:
In both of our familes, we only know of our 2 children.
10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #136
YozuLuv

Absolutely not, Not a single person in my family, blood relative has any IBD disease in any shape way or form to pass on to me. Whether they carried the gene and got lucky, I have no idea. I have no idea how I got it, my parents think that me eating so much popcorn as a kid irritated my bowel so much my immune system just didn't shut off. But I really have no idea.
GI Doctor: Dr.Seema Dar
Pain: Dr. Vasirreddy
City: San Antonio, Texas.
10-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #137
Crohn's gal since 1989

My Support Groups:
I am the only person in my whole family that has it. No sisters, brothers, cousins, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, noone but me has it in our family.
I'm the only person in my family with Crohn's, although two of my Mom's cousins each have a son with UC.

Diagnosed 1989
Asacol,Pentasa and Entocort (didn't work in 2005 and didn't work now)
Done with Prednisone 09/07/13
Azathioprine (Imuran)150mg no longer working
Developed allergic reaction to Humira injection!
Currently trying Remicade with Methotrexate
Still trying to get into remission!

Ileocecol resection surgery
September 14th, 2013.
55cm small bowel removed!
10-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #138
kiny

I personally think it is purely genetic. My dad, aunt, sister, gma and gpa all had/have it. Along with myself. I am the youngest child, parents had me in their early 40's, I was told by my Dr that that is another reason I have Crohns, bc he said just like older parents have a higher risk for a child with Dow. Syndrome, its the same with crohns. I out of all my siblings had the highest chance of ge it, which I did.
It can be easily shown it is not purely genetic when you look at monozygotic twins.

Even though they share the same DNA, when one twin has crohn's disease, the likelyhood of the other one getting crohn's disease in his/her lifetime is less than 50%.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Do you believe crohn's is purely genetic?