• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New today, kind of long!

Hello all!

I just joined the forum today after a bad week! I'm 32 years old and 11 years ago I had gastric bypass. It was still relatively new then and not a lot was known, or still, about the surgery unfortunately for me I was young and went with the first surgeon my doctor suggested to me as I didn't know then that I could check around.

My surgery....went wrong to say the least and when I was having massive problems and went back to my surgeon for help he refused to run tests and told me it had nothing to do with the surgery. It took me a year to find a doctor who would help me, and when I did they discovered I had ulcers from my esophagus down into my intestines, my staples were out, my vitamin levels were all way below where they should be among many other issues. On top of it I had what they were calling Crohns like symptoms. I knew about Crohns as some family members were diagnosed with it.

I have been bounced back and forth between gastric bypass surgeons and gastro doctors. My gastro doctor is the best and keeps trying to help me, but theres two many issues going on. Mechanical issues with my bypass ( I am a study case now, I have had 15 surgeries so far to repair the gastric bypass, remove the rotting tissue and try to reroot my system so I can stop getting sick), while other doctors are convinced along with that I may have Crohns. With this surgery your bacteria levels can rise, they are finding now, however no one can figure out a course of action to help me! So while all this is going on I am at my stomachs mercy sadly.

I have been hospitalized numerous times for observation and try all kinds of diets and tests, surgeries, medications ( none help me so far,or the few that do I have reactions to that make it not worth taking), to having to see therapists because they are worried all this is going to make me snap mentally.

At this point I am use to being sick, not fine with it, but use to it. The problem I am having is people thinking because its been over ten years and I "look fine" that it cant be as bad as it really is. My stomach literally controls my life daily. Decides if I can go out, or not, if I can eat or not etc.

I am set up to see a new surgeon who takes on the "hard cases" for gastric bypass patients who have had severe issues but I am not to hopefully for that anymore. After ten years and 15 surgeries I am not only tired but the last of my stomach will be removed if this does not work. As is I have already lost sections of my intestines, 90% of my stomach, parts of my esophagus, part of my liver and my gal bladder.

I am happy to see a forum like this exsists, while my issues are probably slightly different I am assuming people will understand what its like here and can help me to express whats going on with those around me. They think because I look fine, that I am and thats so far from the truth. Thanks if you have read this far, and sorry this is so jumbled its hard to condense 11 years into one entry!

Welcome to the forum,

You have had a real bad run of luck. I am curious as to why you had the original bypass procedure? Was it for weight loss?

I have never really had to convince anyone that I was ill. I guess most people know that if I am not doing much, I am sick. I am not normally one to sit around.

It is different when you are sick for years. As there is no reference point that contrasts the difference between sick and well.

When I was at my worst, I would tell people that the pain I had was like someone squeezing my guts with pliers. That actually might have been less painful, but it gives them an idea of what I was dealing with.

I hope the doctor can get you some relief. It sucks to be sick, especially for a long time.

Good luck

Dan

David

Co-Founder
Wow :(

I'm so sorry you've gone through all of this, that's terrible :(

Have they ever biopsied any of your intestines to see if you do in fact have Crohn's Disease?

I assume you're on some sort of enteral or TPN feeding?

Again, welcome!

*hugs*