• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Little one suspiscion of crohns

this has been a tough month or so for us. my son is 13 months old. he has a history of diahrea frequently with blood in his stool. the earliest systems were at 7 months ( i mistook it for a mild virus ), shortly after starting solid. he was breastfed exclusively prior, and how i wish i had delayed solids until a year! as the diahrea kept up, and he started to have weight gain issues and became anemic. we were referred to a GI. he initally responded well to uping his calorie intact vis carbs, fats, and pedisure, and adding a daily dose of Florastor. 3 weeks with reduced poopage and no blood. then he got a fever from his reaction to mmr, i administered advil, and the next day, blood in stool and diahrea started up again. the gi decided it was time for an endoscopy, which showed inflammation in parts of colon. grossly she thought it looked like crohn's, but the pathalogy showed the tissue damage was superfical. she admitted us to the hospital initially to start treatment for Crohn's ( prednisone, i think ), but the gi team at the hospital disagreed with her dx, and decided the wisest course was to start him on elemental formula ( ele care) via ng feeding to get his weight up and see if that alone could control the symptoms., figuring to treat it like a food allergy and seeing whathappens. 2 weeks into it, we have seen an improvement. his weight is up, but are discouraged by seeing occasional diapers with trace blood in it. i'm not really sure where that leaves us. the ng feedings are tough, especially putting the tube in. at the advice of a third gi, the one we are probably going to follow up with long term, we are trying to offer the formula by mouth, and he takes some of the vanilla flavored one, but not enough to move away from ng feeding, and they aren't willing to
let him self regulate yet. we are frustrated and feel very daunted. he is such s jolly little soul, it is hard to fathom him having a chronic issue like crohns.

Hi there,

I am so so sorry that you have been going through such a tough time with your little one! Hopefully, the doctors are right, and he does not have Crohn's.

Have they run a celiac test on him yet? I presume they have, but if not, I would definitely ask them to do this.

Also, I wanted to mention, the next time he has a fever at home, I would use Tylenol instead of Advil. Anything that has ibuprofen in it like Advil, is hard on the tummy. Some people who take ibuprofen like Advil on a regular basis, develop gastritis.

Just in case the situation does not resolve itself, further on down the line, you could ask them to test to see if he has any mutation of the IL10 or IL10R gene. The reason I say this is because this is sometimes the reason for early onset IBD. Here is a article about it:

Causes and Treatment of Very-Early Onset IBD

Posted on July 30, 2012

Many infants with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) have genetic defects that disrupt IL-10 signaling, according to the August issue of Gastroenterology. However, these children can be successfully treated by allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, researchers report.

IBD develops mostly in adolescents and young adults, but can occur in very young children, including infants. Infant and very-early onset IBD (diagnosed at <than 6 years of age) results in severe growth failure and extensive colonic inflammation with lack of small bowel disease.

Daniel Kotlarz and Christoph Klein became interested in the disorder when Klein was asked to see a 6-year old who developed very-early onset severe IBD when he was 3 months old. “Due to this disease, he was hospitalized almost all his life and none of the therapies… induced any sustained remission,” said Klein, who became inspired to investigate causes of this severe and unusual disorder. His interest led to a genetic analysis of 66 children with very-early onset IBD (see video).

Video abstract from Daniel Kotlarz and Christoph Klein

Of the children analyzed, 16 were found to have loss-of-function mutations in IL10 orIL10R genes. Most patients were born to consanguineous parents and had homozygous biallelic mutations (point mutations or deletions), but some patients also had compound heterozygous mutations.

Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation was performed in 5 patients and induced sustained clinical remission with a median follow-up time of 2 years. Experiments confirmed reconstitution of IL-10 signaling in cells from all patients who received the transplant.

The authors did not observe clear genotype−phenotype correlations: 2 siblings with the same homozygous IL10RB mutation had distinct level of disease severity, indicating that other factors contribute to disease progression. Furthermore, mutations in IL-10−related genes were found in only a third of the patients with onset in the first year of life; the authors propose that variants in genes such as XIAP or NCF1 (p47-phox) could be involved.

IL-10 is an anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive cytokine that acts on different immune cells through a transmembrane heterotetrameric complex (IL-10R). IL-10 primarily affects hematopoietic and immune cells, so transplantation of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cells can cure disorders in this signaling pathway.

In an editorial that accompanied the article, Aleixo Muise et al. say that the findings indicate that infants with colitis and perianal disease should be screened for IL-10 signaling defects. However, it is not clear whether it is effective to screen older children with severe perianal disease who are refractory to treatment.

Kotlarz et al. hope that researchers will investigate whether IL-10 signaling is associated with other forms of IBD. Although they found that allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation could successfully treat patients with IL-10 signaling deficiencies, some cases of early-onset IBD might be caused by dysfunction of non-hematopoietic cells, so other therapeutic approaches are necessary. End.

There is no reason for you to worry about any of the above, but just in case you do not post again, and things do not improve, I wanted to send it to you.

How often are they taking out his NG tube? If it is uncomfortable to place, they can leave it in and just tape it in place till the next time it is needed. If he can tolerate it, they could slowly increase the rate, to get in sufficient calories overnight, and then just tape it in place during the day. Just a thought.

Please let us know what happens, and if there is anything at all we can do for you!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

My goodness, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. What a nightmare :(

*hugs*

Tenacity provided some wonderful information. I'm curious how long you had him on the Advil for and what dose? I ask because there is such as thing as drug induced colitis.

My best suggestion at this point is to connect with other parents in our Parents of Kids with IBD section. The parents there know exactly what you're going through, are very knowledgeable, and incredibly supportive.

I wish you and your little one all the best.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I am sorry that your little one is so sick. This is hard for those of us...older folk...I can only imagine how this is for him, and for you. Kids are resilient so keep your thoughts positive.

Hi and welcome.
So sorry to hear about you baby.
My girl was 6 mo. old when she started showing signs.
Still having a hard time getting a dx for her.
I hope all goes well for both of you.
Please feel free to stop by the parents forum.
Many wonderful people there.

my little penguin

Staff member
:hug: SOrry to hear about your LO.
IT could be crohn's but usually in his age group I would be with the GI's on a type of allergy.
DId they look at EGID's ?
Count the EOS in the biopsy slides?
Total EEN is a treatment for IBD but also for a lot of other things including EGIDs.
Here is a link:
Symptoms of EGID?
What are the Symptoms of EOE?
Symptoms vary from one individual to the next and may differ depending on age. Vomiting may occur more commonly in young children and difficulty swallowing in older individuals. SYMPTOMS MAY VARY GIVEN THE DEVELOPMENTAL ABILITY AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS OF THE AGE GROUP AFFECTED. It is not unusual for it to take several visits to the physician before eosinophilic esophagitis is diagnosed. Some symptoms are common to all age groups.

Common symptoms include:
Reflux that does not respond to usual therapy (medicines which stop acid production in the stomach) – infant, child, adult
Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) child, adult
Food impactions (food gets stuck in the esophagus) older children, adult
Nausea and Vomiting – infant, child, adult
Failure to thrive (poor growth, malnutrition, or weight loss) and poor appetite – infant, child, rarely adult
Abdominal or chest pain –child, adult
Feeding refusal/intolerance or poor appetite – infant, child
Difficulty sleeping due to chest or abdominal pain, reflux, and/or nausea – infant, child, adult
What are the Symptoms of EGID?
Symptoms may vary considerably, depending on the area affected.

Symptoms include:
Nausea or Vomiting
Diarrhea
Failure to thrive (poor growth or weight loss)
Abdominal or chest pain
Reflux that does not respond to usual therapy (which includes proton pump inhibitors, a medicine which stops acid production)
Dysphagia (Difficulty swallowing)
Food impactions (food gets stuck in the throat)
Gastroparesis (Delayed emptying of the stomach)
Anorexia (poor appetite)
Bloating
Anemia
Blood in the stool
Malnutrition
Difficulty sleeping

Since none of these symptoms are specific for EGID, and many occur at times in healthy children or adults, the diagnosis is generally sought only after the symptoms have failed to resolve. Eosinophilic disorders can mimic the symptoms of other diseases like inflammatory bowel disease, food allergies, irritable bowel syndrome and reflux, among others.

http://apfed.org/drupal/drupal/symptoms_of_EGIDs