• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rebuilding my core

Hey all
I was wondering if it is possible to rebuild my core after 4 major surgeries, I go to the gym and I work on my back muscles, and my abs, and I understand that I will never get what I had back but can I strengthen it to the point where I can sit up straight all the time? I try to research this but it's only about women and c-sections.
I workout sometimes weeks five days and other weeks 2, depending on my health...I feel I would do way better with a solid core!??
And trainers have no clue, well the ones I have talked to!
???Any help??? would be super cool!
Thanks
caligurl

David

Co-Founder
Have you ever tried yoga? If you're into yoga, I'd find a VERY EXPERIENCED teacher to evaluate you and see if they have any suggestions. I like yoga because it usually leads to full body strength and agility. When you train just one area, you create asymmetries which can lead to problems. Ever seen those body builders with big biceps who can't straighten their arms?

Or a reputable and experienced Pilates teacher. Pilates is based on learning to develop a stable and strong core and then moving out from there.

Do not join a large floor class. You must be closely supervised because the way that you do Pilates exercises is more important than the exercises themselves.

I have found Pilates very helpful and I like the concentration that it requires.

Gianni

Do you do yoga David? I keep meaning to take a class. I've heard yoga is great caligurl, it will absolutely help you develop your core, plus i hear it's extremely relaxing:)

Gianni

Or Alexander Technique lessons, (or an alexander technique teacher who also teaches pilates? or an AT who teaches Yoga?).

"I recommend the Alexander treatment as an extremely sophisticated form of rehabilitation, or rather redeployment, of the entire muscular equipment, and through that of many other organs. Compared with this, many types of physiotherapy which are now in general use look surprisingly crude and restricted in their effect, and sometimes even harmful to the rest of the body.. " Professor N. Tinbergen, Acceptance Oration for the Nobel Prize in Medicine/Physiology, 1973.

Thanks all
I did try YOGA a long time a go, to release stress, low impact workout, I had a hard time "chilling out" , being an extreme type A personality doesn't help, but I'll look around down here see if I can find something reasonable in cost...Is it always SUPER expensive (to take classes?)

Caligurl- How long ago were your surgeries? I second the recommendations on yoga or pilates. Pilates is great for strengthening the core. There are some great DVDs out there that will allow you to do both or either in the comfort of your own home.