• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sebhorrheic Dermatitis

I have developed a patchy rash on my face. It disappears completely with strong steroid cream but comes back once the cream discontinues. My GP says he hasn't seen it before and has referred me to a dermatologist but that appointment could take months. I think having researched on Google that it is Sebhorrheic Dermatitis. It makes sense as it is more prevalent in people with reduced immune systems and I have been on 6MP for a few months now. This hideous picture shows the rash and where it is. Does anyone have any experience of this? I am going to ask my GP if I can try Nizoral cream as I'm not keen on strong steroid cream until an appointment comes through!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hmmm, I used to have something like that on my arm when I was a kid but wasn't on 6MP yet and I was told it was just some sort of rash or hive and given steroid cream for it. It eventually went away on its own and I haven't had it since.

Reading the description and looking at some lovely images on the internet it looks and sounds nothing like Sebhorrheic Dermatitis to me. Its also not in particularly oily areas of your face, near but not in and also your face doesn't seem oily. May be more dry actually. Hopefully you'll get real answers soon or at least hopefully will up and disappear like mine did.

I have the same thing on my forehead and sides of my nose.

It was diagnosed as seborria. I have been putting coconut oil on it at night.
It is not gone, but it is not as bad as it was before.

It is caused by a lousy immune system and a fungus. Can't remember the name of the fungus off hand.

I will kill it off one way or another.

Dan

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi Bld,

I have experienced issues with rashes on some fingers and around my lips also. What I experience does not appear to be Sebhorrheic Dermatitis though.

Anyways the most success I have is with topical steroids also. I went to a dermatologist who said that what he prescribed to me was safe to take indefinitely, but I did not really like the idea of taking the steroid cream that did not really prevent or cure the issue.

I have found that using a Vaseline cream that has Aloe Vera in it is almost as effective as the steroid cream. I am not sure if that would help you at all.

Dan's suggestion of coconut oil may be more effective as he is dealing with the same problem as you.

I've developed a mild red rash on one cheek, not quite as red as yours but it's there. On the side of my face popped a big brown freckle that eventually scabbed over and peeled off... it was SO cute. It's still red there too. I try to cover up with face powder but ... it's still there! I'm sorry you're affected too but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I too suffer from psoriasis on my foot, knees and toes,sometime the face and behind the ears. It has worsened since starting Humira:( I use the steroid creams as well, Dovobet, and Dovonex too. We will see how it goes. If it gets extremely worse I will discontinue the Humira.....:(

I have just been to the dermatologist and she has confirmed it is Sebhorrheic Dermatitis. She is not aware of any link with Crohn's so it looks like my body has just decided I could use another chronic condition to go with my Crohn's! I am on the cream I suggested in my first post - perhaps I should be a dermatologist!

Hi my son has exactly the same problem went to dermatologist last sat she said it's stress related and may come and go at will in future.
He is on azathioprine.She gave us zineryt which seems to be doing the trick.She said it is not related to crohns .......! :eek2:

Hmmm! My husband gets this as well always seems to be worse if he is flaring or stressed. Jack gets this also now, never had it before his crohn's diagnosis again especially if he is flaring or right before a flare. I've always assumed it was crohn's related. We also use coconut oil. We've also used the cortisone eczema cream which seemed to help. Hope you are able to get it under control soon