Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Stricture/Narrowing?

10-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Stricture/Narrowing?

Can somebody please tell me what the typical symptoms of having a stricture are?

I may be right out of it, however, here's my issue:

I have perianal disease (multiple fistulas, multiple skin tags), with no other evidence of disease. For the past few weeks I have been having pain and swelling in my abdomen. The pain is a stabbing pain, but not so excruciating that I feel like I must go to emerg. It's worse an hour or so after eating, and best in the morning. It has been progressively getting worse vice getting better.

On Friday, I saw my GI doc, he sent me for a full ultrasound which didn't pick up anything, but the technician was unable to complete the internal ultrasound (I'm too little and the probe was torture).

When I saw the doc after the ultrasound, he was stumped what was causing the pain.

Now for the odd things: For the past 2 weeks, my bowel movements have been odd, I haven't been going as frequently as I normally do and having trouble passing stool (really odd for me). Also, the technician mentioned that my large intestine wasn't moving very much when she did the ultrasound.

A co-worker mentioned to me today that when she had colon cancer, she had a blockage that caused her pain further up her abdomen. I am not suggesting that I have colon cancer, however, I am wondering if a narrowing in the rectum, which the tech wasn't able to see, might not be the cause of my pain?

I have a follow up with my doc on Friday.
10-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Opps didn't mean to post this in the subform..
10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Jennifer
Adminstrator

This thread talks about full blockages and partial blockages (blockages with IBD are generally caused by a stricture/narrowing be it from scar tissue and or inflammation etc): http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=29625

With a partial you will be able to pass some stool (can be diarrhea, ribbon shaped or even small bits of formed stool). The pain varies from person to person (can be mild to severe). It can come and go, its often worse after eating and for some they feel a constant nagging pain or discomfort. As the narrowing gets worse causing the blockage to become more severe you can experience nausea, vomiting and fevers. If the pain gets really bad and you do experience the vomiting and/or fevers than you'll want to go to the ER.

While you're having this issue and trying to avoid the ER you can try to reduce your food intake to smaller and more frequent meals each day. Also avoid foods that you know go straight through you (following a low fiber or low residue diet may help) or you can also try some bowel rest by sticking to mainly liquids. Keep in mind a liquid diet is temporary to help with the symptoms and you'll want to contact your doctor and let them know that that's what you're doing and ask their opinion.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Stricture/Narrowing?