Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Just got back from hospital from takedown!

10-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
maria
I love you God.

Just got back from hospital from takedown!

My experience only. If I would have known I would not have done it! The gas pains are horrible! I looked almost everyday for stories on after takedown and it still didn't prepare me for what I went through.

I want to find a friend here in vancouver, washington with a stoma... I feel lonely.
Trying to stay gluten free.
10-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Crohn'sGirl

You just had your ileostomy reversed? Mine is supposed to be reversable, but I was just in the hospital last week for Crohn's flare so I'm doubting my GI will discuss it next month with me, but can you tell me alittle about how you are feeling and how the dr decided it was a good time to reverse it? Also I read you said that you wouldnt have done it, why not?

Diagnosed in 2010 with Crohn's Disease

Had ilestomy 10/31/2011 and learning to take one day at a time.
10-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
SusanB

Maria,
Please tell me what happened! I go for mine in 13 days....
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
KazT17

A take down, as I understand it, is when an ileostomy is reversed after a j-pouch formation. A straight forward reversal is usually following a loop ileostomy and the intestine is just repaired and put back in place.

Crohn's diagnosed 2010
Ileostomy 2011.
Completion Proctectomy 2012
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Kaz, correct! Maria has had a Jpouch formed as she has officially been diagnosed as UC.

Gas pains after surgery arent unusual unforunately! I think any major surgery where they open you up, or at times worse, lapro cause gas pains.

It can take time for the gas to leave your body, and it finds some unusual places to take itself to! Mine was my shoulders, and of course the abdominal cavity. There's just no helping it except to walk around as much as you can.

Sorry Maria
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
10-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It will be worth it in the end just hang in there it will get bet better I promise we are here for you. Keep us posted plz. Take it easy and rest rest rest x
11-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
maria
I love you God.

sorry guys I'm typing from my phone. thank you I just wanted to give a little update. everything is way better those gas pains are a terror. if I can get some advice I would say get a diaper and wear it while you lay down and let out the gas the day after you get home. I was holding it in and didn't realize how much pain a caused me. as of right now I have total control over my bowels. things are really starting to look up also get plenty of rest before reversal. I didnt and totally regret it. Soon I will get to my computer so I can get some better info.
11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
maria
I love you God.

Susan, I was in a lot of pain the 2nd day. But as of right now so worth it! Everything will turn out perfect..i havent havent had any accidents.. If you have your takedown before I get to my computer I just want to say goodluck and you will do great!
11-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Maria sounds like you are doing great and it's good that you are able to control your bowel. Just hope it gets better and better for you. Keep us posted xx
11-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
KimchiiFiend

My Support Groups:
Just wanted to pip in and saw I too just had my takedown from my temp loop ileostomy on Oct 30. Currently lots of gas and bloating. Can't eat very much since I get pains all over my gut. Fortunately haven't had any accidents which is completely different from when I first had my ileorectal anastamosis back last year. Then I had so many accidents the first month. But now, it's like everything is moving a lot slower through my system. Maybe too slow...but time will tell.

I've been taking pictures of my tummy to check the progress on swelling. You should too! Good luck and hang in there you're not alone!

Diagnosed 2006.

Hospitalized July 2010 for obstruction.

Nov 2011 Colectomy with Ileorectal anastamosis.
Shortly after fistulas and pelvic abscesses formed.

March 2012 Temp loop ileostomy is born
Short gut syndrome also born and forced me to be on TPN for several months to maintain living.

Oct 12 Take down surgery for "Ollie"
Sorta miss the bugger

Current medications Remicade and Imuran

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Just got back from hospital from takedown!