Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » What is your doctor's opinion of natural remedies/supplements?

View Poll Results: What does your doctor(s) think about natural rememdies/supplements
Totally against them 4 14.29%
Does not recommend them, but agrees they may be beneficial 16 57.14%
Tries to use them and incoroporates them with your other drugs and treatments 4 14.29%
Believes in them greatly and encourages their use over drugs 1 3.57%
Other (explain in your post) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

05-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
mikeyarmo
Co-Founder

What is your doctor's opinion of natural remedies/supplements?

The items used by doctors and naturopaths to treat patients are rather different. The doctors use medicines and drugs that are usually more aggressive, which means that they have more side effects while natural rememdies may not show any noticible difference and may be rather expensive to upkeep (especially if you are referred a lot of different products). Since it seems that most people are still using a doctor, I was wondering what they thought of using any sort of natural supplement to treat your condition. This can include a more restrictive diet (like SCD), items like probiotics or other supplements that are recommened to you solely due to your condition (not something like a multivitamin that anyone could benefit from).

My doctors are not really big on these things. While they say they might be beneficial, they do not recommend them.
05-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
ladyB

Ditto,
My doc says a multi-vit is more than okay
05-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
devildee(donna2005)LOL

never asked him sorry
05-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Valentina

the one IBD DR I did talk to about it was totally against it.. she said she saw more people come into her office because some one was trying to treat their "yeast overgrowth" or they had just been on one of those low carb diets and lost a huge chunk of weight too fast and put themselves into a flare.. so I just went along with her theory and never let anyone touch my yeast.
she said she wasnt totally against the theory of it all, just didnt like cleaning up the aftermath because patients didnt work along with her as well.
05-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
Kate

he wont telll me yes or no just says its my choice i can do what i like but then you cant tell whats working the meds or other
05-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
jlbastian

In my specific case, he does not recommend them just because my body seems to be hyper sensitive to medications, and the tiniest tweeks in my meds seem to cause a flare. With me he worries the risks outweigh the benefits. He says there are a few that have given his patients good results, but never has he seen a case where natural remedies alone have been even close to putting them in remission.

I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin C to keep my immune system up, iron for my anemia, and sometimes when I am in a terrible flare, aloe vera seems to really calm my symptoms.
09-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #7
GNC Crohn's Man
Vita-Man

My doctor agrees with me taking my herbal supplments because I have 2 years of on the job reaserch on these various products and I have had tons of fedeback both good and bad) on everything we sell in the store...

Plus I go over all the supplments I take with him...

I can also fully understand though why a doctor would be competly against a person taking herbal supplements.. Taking to many supplements be it vitamens, herbs, and/or or minerals can cause the body serious damage if taken improperly... Plus most doctors have had only 1 class in nutrtional science so they dont' know a lot about the products you are asking them about... Most Doc's now just look in their precscrition drug book and it will list a few of the items that may or may not interfere with your reg meds.. Also they have to watch out for malpractice insurance.. If they give you advice and you have a severe reaction or permenant damage then people will sue you for every penny you have.

Okays its nite time,

Last edited by GNC Crohn's Man; 09-07-2006 at 05:42 AM.
09-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

My GI doc strongly recommended the VSL#3 -- in fact, he sent me to a health food store in town to get a lesser probiotic on the spot to begin that day until I could get the VSL#3 to my home (the appt. was late in the week and I couldn't get it to me until almost a full week). When I mentioned the XanGo brand Mangosteen Juice, he told me to go and take it and bring him a full report on it in 6 months at my next appt. because he is always interested in finding more about something that will help more of his patients.
09-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Kev

My Support Groups:
Some things that appear so innocent, like multi-vitamins, have to be approached cautiously.. I was placed on a multi-vitamin (won't mention the brand name but it rhymes with Tantrum) AND on 1500 mg of calcium supplements. Well, that makes sense... People with IBD have known absorption problems, and these are just vitamins and common dietary supplements, right? What could be the harm

OK, that brand name uses lactose as a filler in their pills and caplets... and lactose is a trigger for me... (you may or may not be different).. AND some calcium pills are problematic for people with IBD. While I was taking them I got worse & worse
Stopped taking them.. slowly/gradually getting better.. Now, my hospital nutrition counsellor is setting me up for a bone density test to get a 'base' on bone density,
and if those levels are low or falling, game plan is to try other forms of calcium to see if there's a type my body will accept/tolerate better... but only if bone tests show I need to worry about it... And apparently there's another vitamin that may be required in order for my body to metabolize the calcium anyway... My point is that whether you are talking holistic, homeopathic, alternative or accepted practice
in the treatment of IBD, you really need to think about what you're putting in you!!

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
09-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #10
Jeff D.

My doc said that I may feel better if I eat a natural diet but says the medicine I take and the multi-vitamin will do more for me. I would have to disagree because I feel good and I am in remission but I could feel even better if I ate better.
03-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Mazen

My doc only reccommended a multi vit. As for other stuff like fish oil, he said that he cannot say yes or no....
03-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
dad_01

I've found that, generally, the conventional medical doctors are hostile to alternative diets and nutrition as major components of treatment of crohns. I've had long converations with our nutritionists (alternative nutritionists - one is an osteopath) - the conventional doctors say there are no clinicial studies of alternative nutritional approaches but the problem is that no one is going to fund them.

And doctors apparently don't get much nutritional training in medical school.
03-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
D Bergy

Since I am in contact with so many doctors professionally, it really runs the gambit.
A few are big on herbal and other natural supplements. Even one that uses an experimental microcurrent device.

The ones I have seen as a patient are either indifferent or rely purely on a stack of studies before they will consider recommending anything other than a drug.

Since few of these studies are ever going to be done, all roads lead to pharmaceuticals.

I think it is strange that multivitamins are now considered mainstream, since even I remember doctors saying "all they will do for you is give you expensive urine".

Now they have claimed this as a mainstream recommendation, when it was not long ago they laughed at the idea, and the people who promoted it.

Dan
07-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
Op.28/18

mikeyarmo said:
The items used by doctors and naturopaths to treat patients are rather different. The doctors use medicines and drugs that are usually more aggressive, which means that they have more side effects while natural rememdies may not show any noticible difference and may be rather expensive to upkeep (especially if you are referred a lot of different products). Since it seems that most people are still using a doctor, I was wondering what they thought of using any sort of natural supplement to treat your condition. This can include a more restrictive diet (like SCD), items like probiotics or other supplements that are recommened to you solely due to your condition (not something like a multivitamin that anyone could benefit from).

My doctors are not really big on these things. While they say they might be beneficial, they do not recommend them.
My doctor was totally against everything besides drugs--even diet, he claimed "doesn't matter at all."

He thought drugs were just the best thing ever, almost like I was lucky to have Crohn's because it allows me to take all these lovely drugs like 80mg prednisone and Imuran, too! Lucky me!

Even though he had been a GI doctor for about 50 years, he had never heard of things like digestive advantage, which is pretty bad, because the regular digestive advantage can be bad for people with Crohn's--and he should know that, he's supposedly an expert; digestive advantage for Crohn's and Colitis, however, I found to be more therapeutic than any of the drugs I used.

He denied that it could help at all.

I now use probiotics, and they've helped me achieve remission.

When I asked my GI doctor about them, he just said they don't work, that even some proponents of probiotics he knew "admitted" they don't work--therefore they don't work! Really stupid logic--and that was the last time I went to a GI doctor.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » What is your doctor's opinion of natural remedies/supplements?