• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcerative Colitis - Left Sided Colitis

I was just diagnosed on 10/9 with Ulcerative Colitis (Left Sided Colitis) after a colonoscopy. I was put on Lialda (4 pills a day) and a Probiotic. I have been relatively symptom free since 2 days after I got on the medication (I have a mild case) but again, I am currently on a Dairy-Free and Low Residue Diet until I go back to the doctor on 11/26. I actually feel pretty crappy today for the first day in 2 weeks...I knew I shouldn't have eaten those M&M's but I caved.

Anyway, I was wondering about vitamins...should I be taking them right now? My doctor didn't tell me to stop but then again, he didn't ask me if I was taking anything or not. I stopped b/c basically they were running right through me anyway but now I am wondering if I should start up again. I would like to get on an iron pill, a multivitamin, vitamin D, potassium and the rest of the vitamins I used to take regularly. I am anemic and I can tell it is pretty bad right now. I am freezing in 76 degree weather. Any advice on this? Or should I wait until I see the doctor on 11/26?

Also, any advice on what to eat on a low residue diet? It stinks..I am basically eating the opposite of how I typically would eat so now: no wheat, no brown rice, no veggies, no salad, no fruit, no soda, no caffeine, no citrus and also, no dairy to top it off. I am sick of mashed potatoes and chicken. And everything has either wheat or dairy in it so my choices are so limited. I am basically subsidizing my diet with Chocolate Almond Milk or Ensure.

Thanks.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome :)

I would say it's best to speak to your doc - GP perhaps - before taking supplements to make sure you are taking ones that are required at the correct dose, they could even check your vitamin levels to see if you have deficiences in specific areas. They certainly should be sorting something if you are anaemic.

With regards to foods to eat we do have a diet and sups forum that is worth having a look at to get ideas in this area: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

I'm glad you're starting to do better already, that's great!

What specific vitamins are you taking? And were you told to take them or are you taking them on your own?

I wish you well!

Before I had my first flare I took a multi, potassium, fish oil, glucosamine and sometimes at iron pill. When I felt sick I stopped taking everything. My doctor didn't tell me anything about vitamins so I haven't started taking again and figured I would wait the 3-4 weeks until my follow up but I couldn't get an appointment for 7 weeks so not sure what to so.

David

Co-Founder
I'm personally not a fan of multivitamins for a variety of reasons but that's just me. Some of course swear by them. I personally believe in only supplementing what you need. Of course, that requires doing what Angrybird suggested and get tested for various vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Taking the fish oil and glucosamine probably won't hurt and may help a little. The big one in the short term is making sure you stay hydrated and you maintain all of your electrolyte levels.

You may want to check out our diet/supplements forum for other ideas or to get insight from others who are much smarter than me.