• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed with Crohn's

Hi my name is Salma, 30 years, I have been diagnosed with Crohn's 2 weeks ago even though I was suffering from the symptoms for more than 2 years. The inflammation is in my small intenst and colon, wich makes it pretty sever. The thing is that I became very emotional and lose my temper very easly I don't know if this is coz of the meds or the stress of it all :frown: Could u plz tell me how did u guys dealt with the stress and this emotional roller-coaste after ur digonostic?

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Hi Salma,
Welcome to Crohnsforum. We are here for you.
Your mood swings can be explained by some meds you may be on, the diagnosis, or your illness itself - even all three.

It is extremely easy to be frustrated now that you know you have a chronic condition. The good news is now you know. This means that you arent just banging your head against a wall in the dark (well maybe not quite so much anyway)...... and you can tailor your treatments toward the goal of remission. Many folks go through many different feelings after they receive a diagnosis. These feelings can include saddness, depression, questioning, anger, and more. It takes time to work through these feelings. Hopefully Crohnsforum can help you with this.

Your meds may also partially explain your anger and mood swings. If you are on a steroid therapy like Prednisone , which is very often prescribed for Crohn's Disease , it can cause mood swings especially at the higher doses. If you have recently started taking the prednisone these effects may be heightened. Some people only feel these symptoms for the beginning of their prednisone course and others might have to wait until they start tapering off their prednisone before their mood begins to stabilize.

The fact that your immune system has been overstimulated may also cause your mood effects. You may also feel inattentive, an inability to concentrate or think properly, fatigue , sleeping too much, inability to sleep, anxiety, etc. Prednisone can have dramatic effects on calming down your immune system's overactivity and can quiet these secondary effects. I am not sure which medications you are on because there are many meds that might be prescribed for Crohn's disease but hopefully whatever medication you are taking can put you into remission very quickly. :)

Welcome to Crohnsforum and I hope you are feeling better soon. Please keep us updated on your progress. :)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

There is certainly a lot to take in when first diagnosed and the struggle beforehand when you are trying to find out what is wrong can certainly play a part in how you are feeling emotionally. Out of interest what meds have you been put on? As already mentioned some meds can affect your moods, the last time I was on the Prednisone I was very snappy and would easily fly of the handle over the smallest things, this did improve once I started going down to the lower dose.

There is a lot of helpful info and support here so do have a good look around.

AB
xx

Thanks a lot for ur support.
I'm on Prednisone 20 mg once a day, Pentasa 500x 6 tables a day, antibiotic, oral medicine to stop the diarrhea and finally Multi vitamine.

Thanks a lot for ur support.
I'm on Prednisone 20 mg once a day, Pentasa 500x 6 tables a day, antibiotic, oral medicine to stop the diarrhea and finally Multi vitamine.
Of course after all these meds I'm feeling a little bit better, but still experiencing the usual pain and cramps when eating, the diarrhea subsided (went from 7 to 8 times a day to once or twice a day)

Angrybird

What types of food are you eating at the moment? Has any changes in this area been mentioned to you? When do you next see the doc to have a check up? Is 20mg the highest dose you have been on for the Pred?

The dr. Told me to avoid raw vegetables (salad), spicy food, beans. But it seems that eating something as simple as feta cheese sandwich will make me run to the toilet.
So I'm now on a trial period as there are some food that should be ok for me but I can't tolerate it.
And yes 20mg is the highest does I have been on

Angrybird

Some find it calms the tum to go on a low res diet or even to go onto liquids only for a while (there are special shakes you can have) and then gradully introduce foods and then note down the ones that give you problems.