• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well I guess I have had Crohn's for about 11 years.

On and off since I was 10 years old, at least that's when I remember it starting. I have had bloody stool on and off.

I have only gone to the doctor once (when I was 10) since I have had it but when I went to the doctor he just said it was an anal fissure deep inside.

But looking back now, I know that is not the case.

It wasn't until today I finally decided to look it up, after I went to the bathroom and I had a blood clot the size of a quarter on the toilet paper.

A few months ago I had such bad (what I had thought where gas pains) I was literally in the bathroom BM'ing blood like crazy for a good 5 hours in 1 day. The pain was so terrible it literally felt like something in my intestine was about to burst in a few different areas.

This past weekend I have gone to the bathroom about 7 times all diarrhea, and like the usually its about as bloody as it gets. When I go to wipe its all blood, nothing else except blood clots for the first few wipes.

I cannot be certain but it seems like I have these "flares" when I eat certain foods. For example if I eat red meat, a good sized portion I get those "gas pains" that make me want to lie down on the floor. Another thing, that is unrelated to meat is Splenda, both times I had a Splenda cake for my Birthday I was in the bathroom in pain, BM'ing blood for hours.

I also have acid reflux so I also rarely BM stomach acid. Mixed with what I think is Crohns, makes a fabulous painful disaster.

I am the type of person that doesn't go to the doctor for every little thing, and even some big things, like this.

I don't plan on going to the doctor at all. Unless I honestly feel like I am dying.

Which I have done research on and I guess people if untreated can actually pass from this.

Well that's my short bloody story.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

I know going to the doctor can be difficult and frightening, but I think in your case it's really your best bet. :( It sounds like you're losing a lot of blood, and that can get dangerous very quickly. Getting a diagnosis and some treatment can really help get you feeling better. There can be a lot of unseen damage done by this and similar diseases, also.

You might want to look into trying a diet. Some people have a lot of success that way, but they're typically still under the care of a doctor in case it doesn't work out.

I really hope things improve for you soon!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I agree that you really need to be seeing a doc so they can look into this properly and get you an official diagnosis. Bleeding can also occur in Ulcerative Colitis and treatements that work for this are not always necessarily great for crohn's so knowing exactly what you have will then mean you get on the right track med wise. For now whilst you sort this perhaps try to go on a bland low res diet to see if this at least helps with symptoms. Please do not leave this until things are bad enough that a trip to the ER is required.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

Red meat is definitely not good for UC (and IBD?). You should get checked out, and the earlier the better. Colonoscopy is a good idea. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables (not citrus or acidic fruits when you have a flare up). Green juice will go a long way to help...but not if you plug yourself up with meats and carbs. Just a suggestion.
Feel better!