• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very very smelly gas

I am usually mortified to discuss this, but I feel like I am with my own kind here.:). So... Saw a new GI last week and she changed my meds a bit. Since upping my dose of Imuran and stopping Pentasa, I have had the most GOD AWFUL smelly gas. It is the Silent but deadly type, but smells like I ate road kill! ( my husbands words, bless his heart). I am in the middle of treatment transition and am facing surgery due to stricture over organic inflammation. :( I had small bowel obstruction in January and have struggled to avoid surgery . In short, what in the heck can I take or do to stop or mask this hellish gas smell??? :( thanks in advance for you help!!!

DX: 011712: Crohns ilium
MEDS: PRED taper week3
Prilosec
Imuran 100mg
Lotrel
Chewable vitamins
Off Pentasa 1 week
Starting Remicadee soon :(
Small bowel resection with anastomoses ( future):sign0085:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi Sashawright,

Sorry to hear about this unpleasant side effect you are dealing with. If nothing else changed recently but the medication you are taking then it seems you can pin the problem on the medication itself.

I am not sure if this is a common side effect from Imuran as I do not recall hearing people with this problem in the past and I don't think I experienced this issue. It is possible that as your body gets used to the new medication that the gas will get a bit better.

I unfortunately don't have any other recommendations for you on how to mask the gas either. You should certainly bring this up with your medical practitioner next time you see them though.

Terriernut

I admit it, since my dosage of 6MP was increased...I've been a gas bag. Literally! However, being the evil princess I am...I am using this time to enjoy getting my partner Grahame back! :devil: He resorted to eating pickled onions and pickled eggs last night! Now, I cant compete against that! (if I dared try to eat these things I'd have to be used as a floatation device!)

If you are in the USA, you could try 'Beano' to help with the gas? And definetely report it to your GI's office.

I have found that since switching to a low fibre diet, avoiding gas producers like beans and taking a probiotic everyday I am much less prone to gas and particularly to the smelly kind.

I would definitely try the probiotic if you haven't yet but give it a couple of weeks trial before dismissing it, it is not an overnight cure :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I was the same with gas. I noticed that it cleared up by a lot when I significantly reduced the amount of milk and other dairy products I consumed. I still eat scrambled eggs with no problem but I used to eat a lot of milk and cheese products and I think those were not helping my situation much. Too much greasy food in a short period of time adds to the gas situation as well

I pretty much only eat Greek Yogurt now, for some reason it soothes my stomach.

Maybe it's something you could try as well and see if it works...

Good luck! I know how nasty of a situation the gas can be!