Share Facebook

11-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
cleuger

My Support Groups:
Abdomen exercises is it ok?

I am not going to put up with this flab that's developing in my mid section thanks to my age and over eating on prednisone at moment. Is it ok to exercise your abdomen? Anyone have an recommendations as far as types of Ab exercises? Or is there only sit ups? I use to do this thing when at the gym I would hang upside down by my legs and pull myself up not sure I'm up for that something a little less strenuous to start would be good. I refuse to allow myself to become a fat sloppy piece of dooky If I can help it.

TIA
Cindy

Diagnosed 10/02/2012 Crohns Colitis
05/28/14 Surgery Abscess due to Fistula
09/18/2014 Surgery Total Proctocolectomy
rectum removed and closed up.
Best Decision I ever made.

Gastro Released me said I didn't need meds any longer

Have 3 kids only 1 at home 17 yr old is Type 1 Diabetic

Currently Taking
Tramadol
Xanax
Multi Vitiman
11-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
rygon

My Support Groups:
If you are looking to remove the weight around the stomach, ab exercises arent the best thing to do as this really just tones up the muscles (your body will use the fat reserves from everywhere when exercising, not just in the areas you are exercising).
The best thing to do is run / swim etc to burn more calories.

I think its just trial and error to see what you can do when working out. For abs I normally do different types of situps, plank, pressups and leg raises

heres some others http://greatist.com/fitness/top-ab-exercises/

Ive used some yoga dvds that do a good all round exercises / stretches. Maybe a yoga class would be beneficial
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Realistically, there is no such thing as targeting one particular area for weight loss.

HOWEVER...there may be hope for you yet...Mother Nature controls the strings that dictate where your fat losses will come from, not a diet, your exercise routine or your equipment. So you may work out in hopes of losing your belly and wind up losing your hips instead.

A few of the factors associated with weight loss are genetics, age and gender. If you're prone to put on extra weight in your midsection, that's the first place you'll lose it and probably where you can lose the most.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

11-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Beatit

I am not going to put up with this flab that's developing in my mid section thanks to my age and over eating on prednisone at moment. Is it ok to exercise your abdomen? Anyone have an recommendations as far as types of Ab exercises? Or is there only sit ups? I use to do this thing when at the gym I would hang upside down by my legs and pull myself up not sure I'm up for that something a little less strenuous to start would be good. I refuse to allow myself to become a fat sloppy piece of dooky If I can help it.

TIA
Cindy
Yup a great exercise I do is put your elbows on the ground with your legs in a push up position. Then squeeze your stomach 8 times. Rest when tired and and do this for 10 to 15 minutes. Your crunching your abs and making them stronger simple and easy. No major work that will irritate your crohns and stools next day.
11-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
b1ackmai1er

Hi, I too was afraid to do any exercise after my multiple resection and the highway of scars running through my gut.

Something that is working great for me is use a gym machine that allows you to stand up but pull down on a bar to lift the weights. Sorry it is a bit hard to explain but most gyms have these. You pull down on a bar connected to rope that runs over a pully that is attached to weights. I was primarily using it to build up some muscle in my arms but found that I was clenching my stomach and back muscles at he same time.

Works a treat for me and i never feel at risk of popping a seam!

I swim as well and usually find my gut is working hard at the end of my session as well.

See ya
11-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
cleuger

My Support Groups:
I was thinking about getting an in home gym machine. I want to really work more then my abs but right now my stomach area is my prime focus. Ive not had any surgeries as of yet. I was just concerned with all the tummy troubles I have didn't want to cause more harm not to mention the many vitamin deficiencies I get.I think I'm OK right now as I get labs once a month to monitor my Iron

I am on a low residual diet and even though I eat more them my 6'4 285lb husband. I really do try to eat as healthy as possible on this diet.