Share Facebook

11-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
SusanB

Oh Geez!!

Woke up this morning all upset about my reversal this coming Wed. I was doing so well!! Now I'm all scared and anxious!! Blah!!
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Upset about the surgery itself or upset about life after reversal? Hang in there!!! We are here for you!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
11-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
It's gonna be ok!!!! You aren't alone!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
SusanB

Thanks you two!! Just needed to hear everything would be ok I think I'm going to miss my little 'cherry tomato' and I can definately understand why people choose to keep it. Its never ever bothered me to have a stoma as I wouldn't be here otherwise. Whats probably bothering me the most, if I'm honest with myself, is just the hospital stay and the thought of pain. Which is silly because I'm always taken such good care of.
Thanks again for the support. I needed it. I will post on how it goes
11-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Well, after having good success with your stoma, it is completely understandable to be concerned with the thought of pain and another hospital stay. Going into surgery to develop the stoma, I was counting down the days to be relieved of the problem and didn't mind the idea of dealing with a different kind of pain than what I was already having. However, now being pain-free and not glued to the toilet, the idea of any further surgery makes me cringe.

I'm so glad you are doing well enough to have your reversal. Hooray!! You should have a proper send off for your little cherry tomato.
11-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I think you are going to be healthy enough to be just fine without your stoma. At least that is my wish for you! And that your recovery is smooth. Many folks report it was alot easier to be reversed than they thought. So, that IS what is going to happen to you!
11-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
SusanB

Its 1am here and I can't sleep. I went out for dinner at The Keg for a last hurraa and had shrimp cocktail, New York Strip, baked potatoe and Choc cake (all for the first time in a year and a half!!)
Well now my stoma is spewing and air is just crazy!! Stomas getting sore.. I guess i'm paying for it now!!
Oh well, it was delicious !!!!! and worth it !
11-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
Jenny06xx

lol glad u enjoyed it though !
I hope your reversal goes well , I have my fingers crossed for u xx
jen xx

Meds

Budesonide finished again !!
Pentasa 2g 2x a day
Pred 40mg
Ensure plus ( no longer needed)
Dihydrocodeine 120mg slow release 3 a day
Dihydrocodeine 30mg 2.. 4x day
Tramadol 50 mg 2 ...4x a day ( stopped coz it's not helping )

Waiting for fist appointment at pain clinc I hope it helps !
11-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
A nice send off!
11-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Kela80

Susan i understand where your coming from, my reversal is now one month away. when i was sick i didnt mind the surgery meds and hospitals, now that i feel great im a little anxious and not sure what to expect
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
SusanB

Has anyone whos had a reversal not had to fast or stop eating before hand? I thought it was kinda odd that I wasen't told to do so.
Let me know your thoughts...
11-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I wouldn't be surprised to be told nothing other than no food after midnight. I know for me, everything passed out of my stoma at a fast rate.
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Kela80

generally they only make your fast from mid night if you have morning procedure / surgery which is more to do with the sedation rather than having empty bowels. if your in afternoon then from 7am is what i have done in the past
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
SusanB

OK Thanks!
I just assumed that your bowels have to be empty, but your right, they do empty quite quickly! Tomorrow I go to the hospital and my surgery is sometime Wed morning.
11-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Susan2

My Support Groups:
They'll organise that once you are in the hospital - as others have said, probably only fast from 10pm or midnight.

I hope that things go well for you on Wednesday.
11-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Good luck on Weds, we're all rooting for you! Please keep us updated?
11-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #17
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck. Bet you are looking forward to your new improved butt.
xx janette

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #18
SusanB

On my little blackberry and Very drugged so bear with me!! Lol

Surgery yesterday morning. All went well. He was able to go yhrew the stoma hole and not re-open my scar along my belly. He had to remove some scar tissue from under some muscle and join my large and small bowel togethe. I was, as usual in recovery for 3.5 hours trying to manage my pain as I have zero tolerance. Lol I'm currently on Dilaudid every 3 hours. Preds been upped to 80 and I'm blowing up like a balloon. Allso on flagyl and another anibiotc.

I'm ok I'll write more later when I'm more coherant and can see better lol
11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Thank you for letting us know you are alright! Hope every hour gets better for you!
11-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
SusanB

My eyes are soo bad, I can't see what I'm writting!
Day 3 of just ice chips. Dr is waiting for gas and mucus to pass. If not by tomorrow, he's using a supository. Blah
Not sleeping. I think I'm over tired. Wound area looks good! Still on lots of pain meds.
11-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Not that suppositories are the worst of what you have been through already, but fingers crossed that won't be necessary. Big hug!!!!!
11-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
You need a rumble in the jungle! Tell them to give you some soup! I mean, it's got to help. You dont want a stinking suppository do you?
Hugs!!!!
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
SusanB

No! I don't want a suppository at all. Feeling really crappy. The only air coming out is from my I stitches. I am walking a lot! I'm impressed with myself truckin' around on day two post surgery, but nothings moving.
Thanks you guys <3
11-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I too have 'lazy bowels' after surgery. They usually just give in and feed me. Then I vomit. Then I eat later and the I'm off like a rocket. By eating, I mean soup and crackers. Although I DID eat xmas dinner in 2010 after my emergency surgery on the 22nd. Bowels didnt work until the 27th.

Sometimes eating a bit is the only thing that will work. Easy, light, soup. Give them the big eyes like Puss in Boots, works a treat!

Hun, your bowels will kick in..dont worry. Sorry you are experiencing pain, wish I could give you a big hug!
11-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #25
SusanB

I'm in a lot of pain and I can't see what I'm writting because my phone is so small. I have really bad what I'm assuming is gas pains where they joined my bowel. Cry baby itis from pain. Just had some adavan and dilaudid. On liquids today but I think the dairy wasent a good idea. I had an Ensure too and a cup of tea but that's it. I hope tomorrow is better
Sorry, I'm upset
11-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
SusanB

Also, doing a lot of walking the hospital halls trying to get the gas moving. Which it is...
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
It's not crybabyitis.... gas pain really is bad!!! I hope you will be able to rest after the meds kick in.
11-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #28
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Hoping the gas pain passes quickly for you. It's not crybabyitis, gas pains hurt!!
11-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #29
SusanB

Can't wait to up date this when I get home
11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
GrantC

SusanB keep up the positive thoughts. It is great to here th real experiences of others.

Ileostomy and Right Hemi in October 2012 due to large stricture in Caecum and over dilation of small intestine at IC valve.

No Crohns meds yet, but on Loperamide and Omeprazole for consitency and acid.