• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed, currently with celiac diagnosis

I'm 24 years old and I've been having some serious issues since about 6th grade. In middle school, I didn't eat breakfast or lunch because it made me really sick. I was able to eat dinner because my parents' food was very bland (low sodium, no allergens). Come high school, I started to eat breakfast but I'd spend the entire morning with incredible stomach pain. I had bowel urgency, and I was completely disconnected from my studies. I did well in school, but there were days when my focus was on my stomach pain and not really on what the instructor was saying.
I had a high frequency of bowel movements, a lot of joint pain, recurring fevers. My doctors attributed it to stress in high school regarding college applications and eventually leaving home. Fast forward a few years (December 2007) -- it was college and I was losing a lot of weight. I lost about 15 pounds in a month at one point, and I had several accidents. It got to the point that I was unable to move because of how severe the pain was, and how fatigued I was. In 2008, I was referred to a rheumatologist for the joint pain -- and while she did find low ferritin levels, high WBC count a positive ANA titer, very serious case of anemia (at one point considering a transfusion).
I was diagnosed with celiac disease several months later, and while the immediacy and food-related illness was not as prominent after starting the gluten free/casein free diet, I still (for the past four years) have had serious stomach aches, regurgitation, frequent bowel movements, blood in stool, fever, fatigue. There was a time in 2011 that I had sharp pains, was unable to eat, high fever. I made an appointment with the only GI that was open that afternoon -- probably my mistake because NYC GIs don't usually do same-day appointments so I should have been doubtful of that from the beginning. He immediately wanted to retest me for celiac disease and had me come in for an upper endoscopy the next week (?! needless to say, he claimed my celiac disease "disappeared" even though a week is not enough for an endoscopy).

He suggested a colonoscopy and found signs of inflammation in my large intestine and that my colon was obstructed by stool. I thought -- yes -- finally, he'll work with this. But he sent me on my way, and claimed I had IBS. He also referred me to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for possible ovarian cancer (I was 22). He said in women bowel issues are often related to the ovaries, and he sent me on my way. I did go to MSKCC and fortunately all was well, but was recommended for genetic testing due to family history of ovarian cancer (completely off course). I should also mention that because of my ethnicity (Hispanic), he claimed that despite whatever evidence he may have, I could not have Crohns disease because people with my ethnicity just "don't get it."

A cousin of mine recently presented with very similar symptoms and was quickly diagnosed with Crohns disease (though he too, at 16, was sent to get checked for cancer--prostate cancer). I also learned that a cousin of my father's and a cousin of my mother's both have Crohns disease, so it's not all that distant from my family. A friend in Massachusetts suggested I go to MGH to try and see the GIs there, because they really know what they're doing. At this point, I'm frustrated, in pain, and continuing to lose weight. At the last doctor's appointment I was told that between the last two appointments I'd lost 20 lbs.

I do believe I have celiac disease, but I also am a firm believer that I don't "just" have celiac disease, as I continue to be symptomatic despite four years on the diet and because of the severity of some of my symptoms. I can't even sleep at night because of how bad it gets. Sometimes I feel like I'm being stabbed in my lower abdominal area--that's how bad it hurts!

I guess I'm just very frustrated and looking for answers I haven't gotten yet! Happy to find a place online where people understand. :)

You poor thing! I can't imagine what your doctors have been thinking. I know they often tend to put symptoms down to stress, but with confirmation of coeliac, inflammation and fevers you'd think they'd accept there's something more going on!

It is true that ovarian problems can effect the digestion. A lot of things can cause digestive symptoms. So it's good to get everything checked and ruled out.

Did they take biopsies from the colonoscopy or tell you what kind of inflammation it was? I'm assuming it was something other than Inflammatory Bowel Disease or they would have had to have made a diagnosis.

I would do everything you can to get to a new doctor, and keep trying until you find one who's good! I don't know whether coeliac could cause ongoing problems even when you're sticking to the correct diet, but it's certainly possible to have more than one thing going on at once. And either way, you deserve to be getting help getting your symptoms under as much control as possible. It can be a long process getting diagnosed and the more I read here, the more I learn that people can have bad experiences with doctors during that process, especially with doctors having a tendency to dismiss symptoms or put them down to stress.

Because it's such a hard process, try not to get to desperate to get dianosed right away, or get too down when you have a bad experience with a doctor. Prepare yourself for a bit of a struggle to get diagnosed. Hopefully you'll find a good doctor or your test results will come up with some answers, it's just a question of getting to that point! Keep going, keep telling them of anything new and if anything gets worse. Ask them for help controlling symptoms and stopping the weight loss in the mean time. You know if something's wrong so don't let anyone tell you different!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I must say I am shocked by the doc you saw - IBS does NOT cause inflammation and a diagnosis shouldn't be ruled out because of your ethnicity. I agree that you need to get to a new GI doc especially with your family history with crohn's. I would say that you might need to got to your local ER if the pain is bad enough, at the very least they can make sure you are not getting dehydrated.

Please kee us updated on how you are doing.

AB
xx

The colonoscopy experience was a terrible one. I woke up mid-procedure and had soiled my gown. My GI's mom passed away and his colleague read me the results re: inflammation and encouraged me to see an oncologist for possible ovarian issues. To be completely fair, he said if the oncologist found nothing then to "come back," but I'm skeptical about going back there. Looking for new GI.
I went to the ER in September for severe abdominal pain. Attending physician said I was severely dehydrated; he put me on IV fluids & sent me for a CT scan (looking for bacterial infection), but found fecal impaction. Recommended flagyl and ciprofloxacin -- neither of which I could tolerate. I don't understand how I could have been so constipated because I go at least 5 times a day! Looking for a new doctor now in the NYC area but need release of records from GI. Frustrated, but hopeful

The colonoscopy experience was a terrible one. I woke up mid-procedure and had soiled my gown. My GI's mom passed away and his colleague read me the results re: inflammation and encouraged me to see an oncologist for possible ovarian issues. To be completely fair, he said if the oncologist found nothing then to "come back," but I'm skeptical about going back there. Looking for new GI.
I went to the ER in September for severe abdominal pain. Attending physician said I was severely dehydrated; he put me on IV fluids & sent me for a CT scan (looking for bacterial infection), but found fecal impaction. Recommended flagyl and ciprofloxacin -- neither of which I could tolerate. I don't understand how I could have been so constipated because I go at least 5 times a day! Looking for a new doctor now in the NYC area but need release of records from GI. Frustrated, but hopeful
That's interesting - I have constant diarrhoea too, but was told after examination under aneastetic that my colon was impacted. More than once - scans at various later times showed the same. I was told I must be getting "impaction and overflow" diarrhoea. Basically that the impaction causes loose stool from higher up the digestive tract to come out around it... which we experience as diarhoea. I'm still not entirely convinced that's what happens to me, but I must be impacted some of the time - or at least when they happen to examine me!

Good luck finding a new doctor. If you weren't confident in the last one it doesn't make sense to go back, if you have other options.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community :)

I'm so sorry to hear you're still struggling so much, that's terrible.

With Crohn's in your family and the symptoms you describe, I agree that there is a pretty decent chance you have it or Ulcerative Colitis.

I agree that you should find a new GI and have them evaluate you. Check our doctor directory here to see if one of the highly rated GI's in New York is close to you.

We're here for you!

UPDATE: I decided to request my medical records from my gastroenterologist on Monday. I got the papers today. I never got those papers, because the last time I went, they were very dismissive (and they charge $25 for them)! Anyway, so I'm reading the medical records and on the results of my colonoscopy it has "ulcerative colitis" as the diagnosis. My doctor was at his mother's funeral, and I did see a colleague of his for the colonoscopy follow-up, so I'm hoping it was a mistake-- but the papers even say I was given medicine (I wasn't!). At the very least, I'm glad it's not in my head-- but this seems like an incredibly terrible mistake for any doctor to make.

I was disgusted when I got my medical records. There were so many errors - even simple things like my age. Everytime I get an appointment summary letter copied into me, there are always mistakes in it. I know I've a complicated medical history, but these are legal documents - you'd think they'd take care to summarise my history accurately, if they're going to do it at all. Some of my doctors don't seem to be able to spell either, lol. I think it's becuase of the automatic dictophone things they use now.

Since errors in the paperwork seem to be common, I wouldn't worry too much about what it says about the quality of your doctors' work in other areas. But do bring it up - perhaps with their secretary or admin people? - to get it corrected, especially concerning the medication.

Hopefully you'll be able to clarify whether the diagnosis is correct as soon as possible. Surely they should at least be able to tell you that.