Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Community Juice Fast 11-10-12

11-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #31
Sam07301985

Ok Ive had the flu since Thursday so Ive been too sick to go out and buy my groceries, but I did go last night to HEB and bought all my organic supplies for the juices. Im about to start juicing my breakfast juice. Im excited. I dont really know what Im going to juice I bought so many veggies. Ive been juicing sweet poatatoes, carrots, and apples alot lately. I found out after doing an allergy test that im allergic to apples so I cant use apples in my juices anymore which is disappointing because I like apples. Im going to do the juice fast for 3 days for sure and maybe more depending on how I feel. Ill keep yall posted on my juices and if they turn out good. Im just going to experiment and see how it goes.
11-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #32
David
Co-Founder

Day 1:

I'm not doing pure juice as I do fine with fiber, I'm instead utilizing a smoothie with my Blendtec which turns everything pretty much into a juice anyway.

*hugs his Blentec*

Today's recipe:

- Home grown, better than organic kale
- Home grown, better than organic Moringa
- Home grown, better than organic Amish Deer Tongue lettuce
- Home grown, better than organic brown turkey figs
- Organic Cherries
- Organic Blueberries
- Powdered Acai
- Brazil Nut for selenium
- Protein Powder
- Organic Banana
- Organic Oranges fresh squeezed
- Organic Carrot Juice

Yummy yummy
11-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
David
Co-Founder

Gianni, if I have some green tea, would that be considered cheating for any strange reason? I assume not but wanted to ask
11-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I think most of us are having teas of some kind, I wouldn't be able to manage without my red Bush

Wow that seems like alot of stuff for the smoothy, I take it that is for more than one meal?
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
11-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #35
David
Co-Founder

I cram all kinds of things into my smoothies That's usually along the lines of what I put in but I did make enough for three smoothies with the batch I made this morning because I'm lazy.

The flavor of my smoothies is... ok. It's certainly not bad but there are so many things crammed in that my taste buds don't know what to think. I'm going for dense and varied nutrients though so I don't care
11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Yeah David that's fine have some tea just don't use it as a replacement for a juice, or a smoothie in your case. What kind of kale do you grow?

Beach Bum and Crohn's yeah 66oz and 70oz is awesome !

Sounds good Sam, glad to have you on board, feel better !

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
11-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #37
David
Co-Founder

I grow two types. Ethiopian (does better during hot times here so I plant that for warmer months) and Vates Blue Curled which I very much prefer.
11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #38
David
Co-Founder

Gianni, I was thinking, do you think I should leave out the protein powder and nuts? Everything else is "juicy".
11-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #39
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I would do without the protein powder, but as long as their aren't too many nuts I think you should be fine.

Gianni

Out of curiosity what kind of protein do you use?
11-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #40
David
Co-Founder

Will do, thanks for the advice.

Garden of Life Raw Protein
11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #41
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Diary of a Beach Bum

Sunday 11th Nov. 7am

Woke up feeling great, despite not getting as much sleep as I am used to – last night Hubby fell asleep early after his rugby game (and a few ciders), so consequently he got up early to go to the loo and that was it then, both of us wide awake.
First we had a nice cup of (herbal) tea in bed then I fancied a juice, particularly some beetroot, so I made us a -

Ready Steady Go!
2 apples
1 small raw beetroot
1 small broccoli stem
1 celery stick
2 inch slice cucumber
1/4 of pineapple
Piece of lemon
All over Ice

Which was amazing, we had a very lazy couple of hours and then I just felt like getting up and doing something. After planning what we will do to redecorate our bedroom, I had a lovely pint of Red Head (thank you so much Gianni for this recipe) and then took the dogs out for a walk to the beach.
It was beautiful out there today, so warm in the sunshine while we watched the Remembrance Day parade go by.
After this I went out to restock the fruit and veg supplies and ended up wandering round town looking for Christmas bargains with two lots of apples , one bag of sweet potato’s and a dozen loose carrots in my bag. Perhaps not the best idea for relaxing exercise! More like weightlifting.
I realised I was feeling a bit detached from what was going on around me, not light headed exactly but a bit spaced perhaps, so I headed home.
Got in feeling a bit pooped but luckily another Red Head soon picked me up.

Evening .
So, inspired by my shopping trip, I decided to make up my usual Christmas food list/plan today - probly not the best idea.
We have decide to try cheese soufflé for the starter this year as we had it recently at my Aunty’s and loved it. So hubby is practicing it now in the kitchen and I can’t have any….
Can I? It is quite soft, almost liquid in the middle? Maybe I could blend it into a smoothy? Or something? Hmmm?

No I better be good, I will look for an exciting juice recipe instead.

Ok I caved in and had one spoonful of soufflé – just to test it mind! It was nice. Not long after I ate it the “fish bowl” started up again after being reasonably quiet all day, that will teach me.
Once my tummy had settled down again, I was ready for my last meal of the day and for some reason I fancied giving ginger a go. I thought that it might be nice in a slightly “puddingy” juice so I chucked in.

1 apple
¼ pineapple
2 carrots
1 orange
An inch of ginger.

And it was good.
11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #42
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Sunday 11/11/12

Woke up feeling good. No hunger. Good energy. A bit more clarity. My skin looked a bit clearer in the mirror. Got a good walk in today, will stretch this evening before bed and meditate.

My stomach looks smaller. Measured it and once inch of water weight (I am assuming) has been lost off of it after doing this. I am also assuming I won't be able to eat as large portions in one sitting now when I go back to solids? lol.

Breakfast: carrot, green apple, 1/2 lemon, spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumber

Lunch: green apple, spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumber

Dinner will be:

green apple, kale, spinach, carrot, cucumber, green apple
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

11-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #43
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm out feel like shit today and need something in my gut I have no energy and feel like crap maybe it's bad withdrawl but my throat is still bad so got put on anti-biotics that you nee with food so i'll still be juicing between meals but as far as the fast goes I'm done only lasted 2 days but glad I did it
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #44
David
Co-Founder

No problems here other than starting to crave solid food a little (something salty, specifically). I was fine until I began to make my wife dinner.

I'm sure the cravings will be stronger tomorrow. Heheh.
11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #45
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Sorry it didn't work out Ozboz, hopefully it will work out in the future. Feel better!
11-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #46
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thanks gianni will try again once I feel better
11-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #47
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Also Ozboz, be proud that you made it two days... not many people have the will power to even make it there. I had never fasted before I did my first juice fast just a year ago so feel accomplished... it isn't an easy task.

I know that it might sound cliche but it really is also the thought that counts... you set your sights high and you put in the mental effort necessary to tell yourself that you were going to do 7 days. No one else set their goal that high. Through that fact alone, I know you have what it takes to do 7 days when you decide to give juice fasting another shot.

Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 11-12-2012 at 01:12 AM.
11-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #48
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thanks for the wise words Gianni its people like you that help to fight this crap more naturally I need to surround myself with more positive people like you instead of like some people who only think bad and just run to the doctor to pop pills and feel even worse.
11-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #49
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So I survived 2 1/2 days on the juice fast.

Had to break fast after this morning because doctor's appointments and some minor discomforts made me a bit uncomfortable/paranoid.

But this was my first fast and honestly, overall it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the stories I have heard on here. The only negative I experienced was a bit of cramping (which I don't like because they remind me of signs of a flare) and mental cravings of food. I drank a decent amount of juice daily (66oz.) with water and tea and my stomach felt full/satisfied, but my mouth really missed the idea of chewing something! LOL. I made sure I stretched, got some walking in and did some meditation and got adequate rest. I understand the benefits of doing this on a weekend now because you have more time to nurture yourself during this trying process.

My sinus pains/pressures have cleared up since I started, my skin looks better, I wake up more easily, my energy level and mental clarity are decent (I don't feel so groggy and foggy as before). I really felt like I was doing good for my body when I drank my green juices.

I will definitely make it a habit to at least do a 1 day juice fast every month if not every other week just to give my gut a break.

I do not regret doing this, it was an overall refreshing and beneficial experience. I plan on celebrating with a nice hot bowl of Pho Bo

Thanks Gianni for putting this together and providing support along the way!

Last edited by CrohnsChicago; 11-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.
11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #50
Sam07301985

Day one, 10-11-12, was successful. The juices were ok. : )

My first juice consisted of:
beets
romaine lettuce
carrots
ginger
kale
sweet potatoe
lemon

My second juice was:
beets
carrots
ginger
sweet potatoe
oranges

I was really just trying different recipes to see how it went.

My thrid juice was:
sweet poatatoe
carrots
Oranges.

I really liked my third juice so Im drinking this same juice for my breakfast and lunch today,11-12-12. Tonight when I get home Im going to try the red head recipe.

As far as cravings went it was pretty rough. I was exceptionally hungry around 4 pm. However I went deer hunting with my Dad and brother so I got to spend a few hours in nature away from any food and I just relaxed and listened to the birds and watched the deer. When I got home around 7pm I drank my juice then re read some more of Dr. David Klein's book, Self Healing Colitis and Crohns. He uses a Vegan diet to heal Crohns I love this book it really helps me stay motivated Ive been doing the Vegan diet for a few weeks now.

Today I havent had huge cravings. I drank around 25 ozs of the sweet potatoe, carrot and orange juice this morning and I am drinking about 32ozs of it for lunch. I havent smoked cigarettes in 10 days so Im pretty dang excited about that. Im feeling alot more healthy already.

David I love Garden of Life products I take one of their Raw Food Vitamins every day and I also drink a glass of the Raw Green Supplement. I havent bought the Raw Protein yet but thats the next product I want to buy from Garden of Life.
11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #51
Sam07301985

Gianni where did you buy your Kifer at? I had never heard of that until you said something. I researched it and it sounds really interesting so I was wondering where you found your Kifer at because I dont know where to get it.
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #52
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Gianni where did you buy your Kifer at? I had never heard of that until you said something. I researched it and it sounds really interesting so I was wondering where you found your Kifer at because I dont know where to get it.
http://www.amazon.com/Keysands-Organ...r+kefir+grains

Gianni
11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #53
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Here are some videos on it as well to help you better understand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH34LcMBIG8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdLl1i_GwXU
11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #54
Sam07301985

Yea i found some very imformative videos on how to make Kefir water at www.zoevblog.com Im going to make the strawberry lemonade flavored Kefir water.
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #55
Gianni

My Support Groups:
yumm
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #56
FullM3lt
Activate CB2

Interesting stuff...I just started flaring up for the first time in years and my body is having trouble absorbing nutrients once again. I might have to go buy a juicer and some good organic veggies and give this a try...will report back later

Diagnosed with Costochondritis December 2012

Currently: Asymptomatic

Current Meds: Vitamin D3, Vaporized cannabis oil daily (CBD and THC)

Past (failed) Meds: Prednisone, Mesalamine, 6MP, Remicade, Flagyl, etc...all traditional western medicine has failed me time after time.
11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #57
Gianni

My Support Groups:
So I survived 2 1/2 days on the juice fast.

Had to break fast after this morning because doctor's appointments and some minor discomforts made me a bit uncomfortable/paranoid.
Thanks for signing up Be proud of the 2 1/2 days!

Gianni
11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #58
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks for signing up Be proud of the 2 1/2 days!

Gianni
Yep. 2 1/2 out of 3 days isn't bad. Thanks again!

And good luck to everyone else still going! Stay strong!
11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #59
David
Co-Founder

Day two and I'm hungry. My wife made homemade pizza just to spite me, at least that's what my emotions tell me.

I'm tempted to lick my arms as I was sweating outside today and am craving salt.

Doing good otherwise
11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Diary of a Beach Bum.

Monday 12th Nov. 8am (day 3).

Well here it is - the first day of work on the juice fast.
I didn’t really want to get up, but I think that was just chilly winter morning blues rather than anything else.
I was a bit late for work as it took me longer than expected to juice up enough to keep me going all day. I went for a load of red head in a big flask and a smaller cup of Popeye, as a snack juice.

Rest of the day.

It all went very well although the folks at work couldn’t quite get their heads around it. My boss couldn’t understand why I was drinking “cold soup” hehe.
I was starting to flag a bit by home time, but actually that is pretty normal for me anyway.
I even managed to do a bit of shopping on the way home without getting too tempted to eat anything, but bought a good bit of beef to make my first real meal later in the week, a nice slow cooked stew and dumplings, mmm can’t wait.

I had another Popeye when I got home; more because I felt I should than because I needed it. I am still not feeling overly hungry, my tummy activity is pretty minimal so I feel light and unbloated which is nice. I think I have lost some weight, but I expect it will soon come back on when I start eating again.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Community Juice Fast 11-10-12