Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Community Juice Fast 11-10-12

11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #61
Sam07301985

I just drank a cucumber, kale, parsley, chard, romaine lettuce and spinach juice and it was actually pretty damn good. I also did a ginger shot. : ) Broadening my horizons!
11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #62
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I just drank a cucumber, kale, parsley, chard, romaine lettuce and spinach juice and it was actually pretty damn good. I also did a ginger shot. : ) Broadening my horizons!
Awesome!! !

JUICING! click here!
11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #63
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So I have pretty much no appetite since doing this. Hahaha!

I have to force myself to eat something. And it can't be too much.

I did have my Pho Bo as planned (a vietnamese soup made with fresh veggies and rice noodles), tried 3/4 c of an organic mushroom soup with a small piece of bread to sop it up with. Today I only ate 1/3 cup of cream of wheat with honey and when I started to feel tired I had to buy an avocado & kale spread sandwich to help hold me over (prob for the remainder of the day) and had to push myself to eat half of it. All my stomach wants to do is drink juice.

Crazy.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #64
Sam07301985

Well Im feeling pretty good on my third day of the juice fast. Not as good as I had hoped for but I have been sick with the Flu so I guess that might have something to do with it. Im looking forward to eating a big salad tomorow. Im for sure going to juice on a regular basis at least replace one meal a day with juice. I really enjoyed the Green Goddess juice. Thanks Gianna for putting this on. I do feel healthier and my mind is clearer so Im happy about that. This juice fast also opened my eyes to new possibilities for juices. I never thought I would like the Green Goddess juice but I was wrong. : )
11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #65
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Diary of a Beach Bum.

Tuesday 13th Nov. 8am (day 4).

Wake up feeling dehydrated and my bladder feels irritated, it’s strange but it seems as if I haven’t been drinking enough!
How can that be, well obviously not enough water between the juices.
I start the day with a big juicing session,
apples
carrot
lemon
cucumber
celery
sweet potato
& beetroot
I have a big glass for breakfast and then flask the rest for lunch; I also made up some orange, carrot and ginger for my snack juice. I think I will be adopting the snack juice permanently to stop me from eating bad things in the day.

12.30 – just before lunch.

Wow I am feeling genuinely hungry for the first time and the thought of having my juice in half an hour is not filling me with excitement. It will be hard to watch everyone else tuck into their sandwiches.
But having said all that ,I am really quite chuffed to have reached day four so easily, now I know I can do this and I know I can do it whenever I feel the need – if I sense I am becoming ill or have just “over done” things.
It feels like a powerful tool to have in the bag.

Evening.

I make up a seriously green juice, it looks green but more than that is smells sooo green. Gianni you would be proud.
It tastes nice and I do feel pepped by it.

So, last day tomorrow and I think I will have mixed feelings. I am really keen to get back into eating, in fact I am desperate for a big bowl of something steaming hot, but I also know what a prat I can be in my food choices – carrot cake is ok right? Well it does have veg in it.
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
11-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #66
David
Co-Founder

Day 3

I really don't know how people do this for 5, 7, 10+ days. I guess I'm just a big emotional eater compared to many others. Or a big wimp

I'm fine, but definitely looking forward to food, especially meat I'm glad I did this as it's always good to clear things out once in awhile, the key for me will be not to have a rebound and eat everything in site once I do stop.

Thank you again Gianni for setting this up and everything you've done for us. And kudos to the other participants.
11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #67
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I really don't know how people do this for 5, 7, 10+ days. I guess I'm just a big emotional eater compared to many others. Or a big wimp
You know it really is the first 3 days that are the hardest.

I talked with someone whom I met at a sustainable agro meeting who was on day 42 of his juice fast. When I asked how long he planned on doing it for he said, "mmm when I feel like stopping".

Beach Bum, I love the entries, they are a fun read!

Well Im feeling pretty good on my third day of the juice fast. Not as good as I had hoped for but I have been sick with the Flu so I guess that might have something to do with it. Im looking forward to eating a big salad tomorow. Im for sure going to juice on a regular basis at least replace one meal a day with juice. I really enjoyed the Green Goddess juice. Thanks Gianna for putting this on. I do feel healthier and my mind is clearer so Im happy about that. This juice fast also opened my eyes to new possibilities for juices. I never thought I would like the Green Goddess juice but I was wrong. : )
Ya the flu can be quite annoying, but I would think some good doses of nutrients would speed it up. You may be feeling some effects of detoxifying. If detox is the issue then if you decide to do a second juice fast at one point, then you will really start to notice the great results

All in all guys I'm happy with the results although we did have some speed bumps.

I will be making a post fast video tomorrow I believe (depends on how my day goes tomorrow... wednesday is my busiest day of the week)

But remember, still eat nutrient dense food after the fast... be wary of your food choices!

Gianni
11-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #68
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I did have my Pho Bo as planned (a vietnamese soup made with fresh veggies and rice noodles), tried 3/4 c of an organic mushroom soup with a small piece of bread to sop it up with. Today I only ate 1/3 cup of cream of wheat with honey and when I started to feel tired I had to buy an avocado & kale spread sandwich to help hold me over (prob for the remainder of the day) and had to push myself to eat half of it. All my stomach wants to do is drink juice.
How did your gut handle the cream of wheat and honey?

Yeah your stomach will shrink a decent amount after the fast but it will rebound quickly, especially after a short fast, completely normal If your body wants juice, give it juice! You don't have to fast, but just incorporate a juice in your day

Gianni
11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #69
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Sorry to intrude.I'm not on the fast but have been juicing daily for about 5mnths and really miss it if I have to miss a day.I have a question.I use good quality store bought juice to mix with my early morning organic powdered wheatgrass,and no matter how many fruits are incorporated a glassful is only classed as" one a day".For my fresh juice I use 3 carrots,1 sweet potato or beet,2 apples,2 celery sticks and kale or red cabbage.How many would this be classed as ?
11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #70
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
How did your gut handle the cream of wheat and honey?

Yeah your stomach will shrink a decent amount after the fast but it will rebound quickly, especially after a short fast, completely normal If your body wants juice, give it juice! You don't have to fast, but just incorporate a juice in your day

Gianni
It handled the cream of wheat and honey fairly well overall. It was actually eating the soups that brought on some senses of urgency while I ate them. I am noticing that my body is now more sensitive with regards food digestion. I can tell when it has begun to process the food (my stomach and gut are making a straining sound lol) and I have started to feel the food passing through my gut in quick sharp pains on my lower right and full left side of my abdomen (which my doc reminded me Monday were the parts of my system that had the most inflammation based on the initial colonoscopy). Nothing about my bowel movements have shown signs of warning though. In fact they look better than they have in a long time (no blood/mucous) I just need to be very careful for a little bit regarding what I eat and drink. I started introducing greek yogurt this morning to help bring back some good bacteria into my system.

Will definitely keep giving my body juice if it wants it!
11-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #71
David
Co-Founder

Day 4

As I write this, I am drinking my last smoothie of the fast. I'm going grocery shopping today and plan to eat some solid food while I'm out. I look forward to it

I almost always have a smoothie for breakfast though and it works out great for me. So I'll definitely be continuing with that.
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #72
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Sorry to intrude.I'm not on the fast but have been juicing daily for about 5mnths and really miss it if I have to miss a day.I have a question.I use good quality store bought juice to mix with my early morning organic powdered wheatgrass,and no matter how many fruits are incorporated a glassful is only classed as" one a day".For my fresh juice I use 3 carrots,1 sweet potato or beet,2 apples,2 celery sticks and kale or red cabbage.How many would this be classed as ?
I'm unsure I understand your question. Are you asking if those fruits and vegetables are classed as one juice? If so, yeah that sounds like one glass full of juice from a juicer.

Personally I am not a fan of store bought juice because it must be pasteurized first and they are almost always inorganic. Pasteurizing kills the enzymes and many of the nutrients inside the juice. By killing the enzymes you are putting added pressure on the pancreas to perform but even so the pancreas won't be able to develop the complete enzyme in order to attain optimal nutrition. Unless it is a private company who says that they do not pasteurize their juice, it probably is.

I hope that answers your question, otherwise please ask again.

Gianni
11-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #73
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Thankyou.I needed to know if the juice I make myself incorporating mixed veg and fruits is classed as 1 of my 5 a day or whether they still qualify as separate portions of fruit and veg when they've been juiced
11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #74
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Diary of a Beach Bum.

Wednesday 14th Nov. 8am

All hail the green juice!
I feel amazing this morning, my mind is flying and my eyes look bright for the first time in a week, also my coat is glossy and nose wet. My tummy is flatter and most importantly there is no pain or discomfort .Hopping on the scales I find I have lost half a stone, but I ‘m pretty sure I will find it again soon enough.
I woke up with an almost complete short story fresh in my mind (yes you might have guessed I do enjoy a bit of amateur writing) and I sprang up full of the joys, it was a little milder today though which could have helped.
It does make me feel a bit sad to think that this is the last day and I will miss you “Dear Diary” – never mind I will have to write a novel or something instead.
So I had the same juice as yesterday for breakfast and lunch plus I made up a mega green snack juice, it wasn’t quite as nice later in the day as the one I had last night, but I could still feel the goodness in every drop.

Evening.

Well that’s pretty much it really; I have had a nice gingery juice for my supper while I was very slowly cooking my stew ready for tomorrow. I thought it was a good idea to do it today so it will be nice a squishy tomorrow. I actually felt a little guilty cooking all those lovely veg instead of eating them raw from the juicer - but tomorrow with a few dumplings this is going to be heaven. Grrrr, tummy rumbling at the thought, can’t wait.
11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #75
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
also my coat is glossy and nose wet.
Hahaha! Glad you are feeling great!
11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #76
mario

Wow!! You are a star!!!
I could do that If I was secretly eating bacon butties.
Are you secretly eating bacon butties????? Or burgers?????
I salute you sir!!!
Big hugs
Marie x

? Or burgers???
Seriously tho. I salute you 😊

I
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #77
Sam07301985

So I was planning on eating alot of good food today since its my first day off the juice diet and I ended up having a green goddess for breakfast a salad for lunch and an awesome sweet potatoe, carrot, spinach, celery, orange, parsley, and kale juice for dinner and I had enough energy to run two miles and work out. I made enough juice for the next two days so I guess My body wants to keep juicing. : )
11-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #78
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
That's great Sam. I agree ,I am still going to be juicing ever day , I would really miss it now.

Haha Marie, trust me no one is as surprised as me (well maybe my hubby) that I made 5 days with only one small spoon of soufle as a slip up.
I am a real food monster, but it has been very empowering to find that I can do without or at least replace bad stuff with good snacks of juice
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #79
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I needed to know if the juice I make myself incorporating mixed veg and fruits is classed as 1 of my 5 a day or whether they still qualify as separate portions of fruit and veg when they've been juiced
They still qualify as separate. Categorize it before you juice that is what you are getting. But don't be worried about going over 5.

Gianni
11-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #80
mnsun

Just thought I'd thank Gianni and encourage others to brew some water kefir. Obviously, there is some sugar left over and the lactic acids could take a toll on your teeth like any other acidic beverage, but this stuff is way easier to make than I expected.

I've had store bought coconut kefir water before but wasn't impressed--mainly because of the cost. I've also considered making milk kefir, but it seemed a little intimidating considering the work and utensils involved.

I just finished my first ginger-lemon spritzer, and it was fizzy lifting alright. I've dabbled in beer and kombucha brewing/bottling, so I had a leg up, but making this stuff is a cinch: just mix water, sugar, minerals (I use an egg shell from my daily hard boiled eggs, as suggested by a youtuber), and let it sit for 1-2 days in a non-airtight mason jar (I put 3 coffee filters under the screw lid). Then strain out the liquid into resealable bottles (mine were $23 for a 12 pack), and let those sit for a day or two for carbonation. Then cool and drink. I did two days for each fermentation at a room temperature of 74 F.

CAUTION: this process can speed up to 2 days total in higher temps. Be careful opening your bottled kefir.

I especially like the perpetual grain growth for composting and, possibly, as a probiotic. I haven't swallowed any grains to find out if it really does the job by itself, but the prospect of an effective, home-made probiotic source is something I'm into...

Maybe I'll join the juicers on the next fast. I've been recklessly tossing in every vege in my cauldron I can think of the past week. I had an apple-beet-carrot-cilantro-celery-cucumber-ginger-kale-red cabbage-spinach-sweet potato juice the past couple days (I'm probably forgetting a few). In that foamy mess of goodness, it's safe to say cabbage and celery are best left to themselves.

Cheers.
11-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #81
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Hi mnsun,

Yeah I want to start a whole new thread on water kefir here soon, I'm starting to really like it.

Thanks for the tips.

Swallowing the grains, I hear, will do the job as well. When I get a surplus of grains I am going to make a smoothie and throw some of the grains into the smoothie.

Please do join the next juice fast, I am thinking it will be sometime in January.

Gianni
11-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #82
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Hi guys, just wanted to hear from you and seeing how you guys are handling the days after the fast. Any noticeable changes? Have you stuck to a healthy diet? Have you continued juicing? Any pains discomforts?

Edit: Would you be interested in doing another juice fast sometime in the future?

Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 11-21-2012 at 03:26 AM.
11-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #83
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I have had a good week since the fast. I have had a few niggles but not as bad as those that were happening before it.
I have continued juicing every morning and taking a small flask to work to drink during the day instead of snacking, which works really well. I have tried to stick to healthy food and really thinking about "do I need this thing or just want it?" before I eat something, mixed results - but some good is better than none

I am pretty sure I will need a fast after Christmas and I think my hubby will join in this time
11-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #84
Stephen

I'm going to be doing this for 3 days, starting today. However, I will be complimenting it with a free-range organic homemade chicken broth.

I pulled out the Jack Lalanne juicer this morning, I realize it's not the best for this, but it's all I have.

All of the below ingredients were organic/GMO free.

My first juice was:
6 Celery Sticks
1/2 of a Zucchini
2 small Apples
5 Baby Carrots
3 Handfuls of fresh organic Spinach

Not that potent, but all I have in the fridge at the moment. It actually tasted delicious!

The juice was probably around 12 oz. I'll probably do 2 more today.

On top of that, I drank a glass of warm broth with Coconut oil. Hope I don't get the runs too bad!
11-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #85
Stephen

Did my second juice tonight, starting to experiment with cabbage!

-Many leaves of purple cabbage
-7-8 baby carrots
-a few leaves of Swiss Chard lettuce

Bitter, but tasted pretty decent overall. Maybe I'm not as sensitive as some.
11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #86
FullM3lt
Activate CB2

Aight, after seeing my latest colonoscopy I decided I need to give this a try. My colon needs some rest and nutrients....I don't have a juicer so I'll be attempting this with a blender and a strainer. Should be the same thing....or at least very similar.

Off to the store...I'll report back in a bit

Diagnosed with Costochondritis December 2012

Currently: Asymptomatic

Current Meds: Vitamin D3, Vaporized cannabis oil daily (CBD and THC)

Past (failed) Meds: Prednisone, Mesalamine, 6MP, Remicade, Flagyl, etc...all traditional western medicine has failed me time after time.
11-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #87
Stephen

Picked up cabbage, some kale, some more chard, leeks, tomatoes, and some various frozen fruits. All organic, of course. I wonder what kind of life-giving concoction I can make with this.
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #88
FullM3lt
Activate CB2

aight guys, I went ghetto style and used a blender and a strainer....picked up some organic kale shoots, cucumbers, carrots, ginger root, romaine lettuce, spinach, celery and some apples.

A juicer is probably much more efficient, but i'm low on cash....here is my first drink(s) (had to split it into 2 separate drinks)

Letting them chill out a bit now, can't wait...

I should add that this is not a complete fast, but i'll be drinking a lot of juice over the next week just to see if it helps. My colon is hurtin right now
11-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #89
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Awesome!

Keep us updated! Don't feel obliged to strain the pulp out. David did a "smoothie fast" as well and I do believe the pulp can be beneficial if fiber doesn't harm you.

Gianni
11-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #90
FullM3lt
Activate CB2

Well next time I might try a smoothie! I don't know though...I'm not very educated on nutrition, but I thought fiber reduced constipation? I'm in a flare right now and the last thing I need is less constipation lol! food is running through me very quickly

This drink is pretty tasty....Dunno if it's a placebo but I feel invigorated!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Community Juice Fast 11-10-12