• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed and VERY new at this

Hey all,

Just looking for a little bit of support, I suppose. Basically, I've had stomach problems for most of my life, but I've largely chalked it up to "having a sensitive stomach." I've gone through periods where I've had issues with vomiting more than seemed normal, but those were also periods when I was in college/drinking regularly, so I assumed that was part of the problem (even though occasionally I could get sick after having even a drink or two). In the past I've also dealt with frequent but mild nausea, a little bit of bloating and discomfort, and gas pains. I'm also a runner, but running usually upsets my stomach. I almost always have to pause my long runs to use the bathroom, or have to go immediately when I get home, and occasionally I'll vomit or be very nauseated after a long run.

I've always know that I've had stomach issues, but in my mind, the issues were pretty mild.

Last Friday, I came down with a fever. It seemed to be a basic flu-type thing. On Saturday, however, I started having sharp stomach pains in my right side that radiated throughout my whole stomach. I figured it was a side effect of the flu and just sort of went with it. Unfortunately, the pain kept getting worse and worse, and early Monday morning (3:30), I decided to go to the ER. Honestly, I was freaked out that I had appendicitis.

When I got to the ER, they immediately put me on an IV and started setting me up for a CT scan and blood work. When that all came back, the doctor told me that my small intestine was fairly inflamed and that the wall of the small intestine was thickening. The inflammation marker in my blood work (I totally forget what it's called...) was extremely high. So, they admitted me.

Over the course of the next couple of days, I was given antibiotics to treat the inflammation, morphine for the pain (which I stopped on Tuesday because I felt so awful when it wore off), and a bunch of liquids and nutrition via IV. Of course, the barium I was drinking for my CT scan and the antibiotics gave me diarrhea. I was back on clear liquids by Tuesday and released on Wednesday, with no real answers about what was wrong with me, except that they don't think it's appendicitis. The GI doctor's best guess is that I have Crohn's.

Of course, none of this has been confirmed yet, and I'm sure I have weeks of fun tests ahead. I'm home now, but I'm afraid to eat too many different things - while the sharp pain is gone, and my discomfort is improving every day, my right side still feels a little bit...sore? That's the best way I can describe it.

Honestly, I'm afraid. First of all, it sucks not having any solid answers (which I know is something many people in this forum are struggling with). At least if knew what was going on, I could figure out what to do next. Second of all, I'm freaked out about what's going to happen if I do have Crohn's. I'm an active runner, I love to eat all kinds of food, I have a high-stress job (criminal defense attorney), and I'm afraid of all the possible medical intervention that awaits me and how that will affect my life. I know I've only been actively sick for a week or so, but even a week has been tough for me. I haven't been to work; I can't do any of my normal activities; I feel completely disgusting.

This seems like such a great community - so many people here seem to be living happy, full lives, and here I am complaining about being sidelined for a week. I just hope I can get a diagnosis sooner rather than later and join you all in getting on with it!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear you are having such a rough time of things at the moment. Have you now been referred to a GI doc so they can look into getting you an official diagnosis? If so do you have an appt date? For now try to go on a bland, low residue diet and as this may help a bit with symptoms. If you do have crohn's this does not necessarily mean that you will have to change everything about your lifestyle, whilst foods may need to be looked at there are plenty of folks here who are still able to be active and try methods such as yoga or meditation to help with stress. The key is to get as educated as you can and to have a good relationship with your doc. We do also have an undiagnosed sub forum here that you may also like to check out: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75.

Will be keeping fingers crossed that you can get some answers soon, please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

Hey Angrybird,
Thanks so much for your reply. I had another CT scan yesterday and a follow up appointment with the GI doctor I was seeing in the hospital on Tuesday. I'm hopeful we'll address next steps then. In the meanwhile, I'll keep poking around here. Thanks so much!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome! I'm glad you joined but frankly, I hope what you have ends up being something acute and you can ditch us soon :) The thickening is a bit concerning though and does point to something more chronic :(

Do they have you scheduled for a colonoscopy? If so, when is that?

We're here for you!