• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and exercise

Does exercise increase your gut pain?

• Always

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Never

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters
Before I was diagnosed with Crohns disease, I was going dancing [rock 'n roll, ballroom] two or three times per week, and had few symptoms apart from frequent bms and night sweats . After diagnosis I stopped dancing for several months, but recently started going again to get some exercise. However I now find that every time I do it,I get real bad gut pain the next morning. This truly sucks!

It is vigorous exercise, yes, but not real hard exercise, especially as I am only having a few dances, leaving early, and not even drinking any alcohol.

How do others find doing moderate exercise - does it upset your gut?

rygon

I find that I need to do continuous exercise to feel good. If leave it too long then I feel bloated. Doing light to moderate exercises gets rid of that, but if its my 1st time for a while I do find myself going to the toilet more the next day.

I also find if I work my stomach too much it does irritate it. Its just finding a balance that you are happy with i guess

I am not diagnosed (haven't voted in poll) but I found it curious when I went from being a super fit road cyclist doing 20 mile trips with ease to being crippled within a mile of getting on the bike. I miss exercise so much.

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I am not diagnosed (haven't voted in poll) but I found it curious when I went from being a super fit road cyclist doing 20 mile trips with ease to being crippled within a mile of getting on the bike. I miss exercise so much.
I don't have Crohns (Pancolitis instead), but I feel the same. I could easily do 20 mile trips in about 1.5 hours during remission but during my flare it's extremely difficult to do 5 miles, 10 miles if I really push myself on 'good' days. It's not really gut pain for me it's just general fatigue...I miss my regular exercise too (and it's only been 2 weeks) :(

I have UC but have been in remission for many years, and I also experience abdominal pain several hours after an intense work out. The pain can vary in intensity but [recently] has been severe enough on a few occasions to send me to the emergency room. In fact, it has woken me up in the middle of the night with an absolutely amazing agony almost as if I was paralyzed leaving me gasping for breath. The most severe episodes usually occur if I work out vigorously and not consume extra calories to replace what I burned off.

Last edited:
I used to go long distance running before being suffering with crohns. I plan to start up some gentle running when or if I feel up to it again.

KWalker

I noticed after running (LOL, yeah right, I don't exercise) but seriously, when I used to run I noticed I got some weird side cramps. They went away after a few minutes but I never knew if they were related to crohns or not

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It really depends on the type and intensity of the exercise. I'm in remission and I work out 3x per week, mainly lifting weights. I tried jogging but it aggravates my hip arthritis too much and ends up being very painful so I lift weights instead and I love it. I avoid doing the abs machines if my tummy is not happy, but I can do arms & legs etc even if I'm not feeling great, and I do not pay for it the next day (I don't know if that would be true if I were not in remission though, I think I probably would pay for it). I sometimes do a bit of yoga or bike riding too and those are also fine, I do not pay for it the next day and it does not aggravate my arthritis. I was able to do yoga before I hit remission but that was about the extent of my pre-remission exercise. I do a lot more now.