Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade and cold sores

11-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
twob

Remicade and cold sores

does anyone get cold sores on the side of their mouth while on Remicade. My son has been on almost a year and now has just gotten cold sores that he can't get rid of. Not fun for college boy. Any suggestions?

thank you.
11-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Greetings,

Does your son's sores look something like this:

11-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
twob

yes.. has cleared up a bit by now but now has horrible acne around his chin and mouth.
11-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
David
Co-Founder

The picture is actually something called, "Angular Cheilitis" (read that). It is NOT a cold sore and in Crohn's Disease is commonly due to vitamin and/or mineral deficiency. Please read the linked wiki article.
11-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I used to get corner of the mouth sores this alot before I started treatment, it was definitely down to vitamin deficiency.

My skin has been a bit spot prone since starting Remicade and azathioprin.
I find drinking plenty of water through the day, using a cleanser at night (such as Clearasil ) and having a spot fighting gel to hand to put on immediately if anything comes up during the day all have helped - that and resisting the urge to pick - I find my skin just doesn't heal as well as it used to.
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
11-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
twob

Thank you !! good to know and he does take various vitamins.. just of matter of not missing taking them. Thanks again - will keep posted.
11-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
David
Co-Founder

What vitamins does he take and what dosages?
11-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
j.bug
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I also have been getting these sores, and have blamed it on constant dehydration that I suffer from. I will be bringing this up with my GI at my next vist, and I found the link very helpful. Thank you David!

DX CD Terminal Ileum May 2012
DX Esophageal CD May 2012

Meds

*Pentasa *Hyoscyomine *Protonix *Gabapentin *Xanax *Wellbutrin *Ultram *Flexeril
*Vitamin D3 *B-12 injections *Iron *Remicade
*Weekly IV Fluids W/Banana Bag

Today I will fight again!!! I will not let this disease own me, or define me!!!!

11-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #9
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Ressurecting an old thread..... Looks like I have developed angular cheilitis..... Started on the left side as I had a cold sore healing that felt different..... Now has spread to both sides.

I'm thinking mine may be due to either a final or bacterial infection, haven't been able to get to the doctor yet as I just got back from vacation yesterday.

To go along with the sores, I have a funny taste in my mouth, and a possible sinus infection brewing again..... To add to it, I had a couple of sores on my arm that looked like cellulitis AND my last bloodwork was off, showing inflammation.......

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade and cold sores