• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How hard will getting pregnant be??

As Sods Law would have it, my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby about a week before I got rushed into hospital for emergency laparotomy to patch up a perforated ulcer in stomach, which is where and when my crohns was discovered. Since that time of being very poorly indeed (4 months ago) I haven't ovulated. My new GP in UK said "of course not" as my body had been through a lot. But that's all he said. Does anybody know if there's anything I can do to encourage ovulation. I'm still able to menstruate, and I know I am able to ovulate. I have a reflexology appointment. I know it must seem like I'm being very impatient but I'd been making my body baby ready for over a year so it had been on my mind and then the crohns happened!! Btw, I feel perfectly well now. I have a persistent anal fissure and an itchy scar - that's it. I'm also learning that certain foods and drinks aggravate my ulcers.
Thanks!
Polly x

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you on any meds now for your crohns? When it comes to pregnancy I was always told that there is no reason not to be able to fall pregnant although fertility may drop a bit if you are experiencing an active flare up as the body is under a lot of stress at this time. It could be your system is still recuperating from what is has been through recently so whilst it is frustrating give things a little more time.Otherwise just keep in regular contact with your doc regarding this.

AB
xx

Polly, I do wish you and your husband the best of luck in TTC. It's so emotionally trying, even without the bother of Crohn's. After my bowel resection in Oct. 2011, it took me almost a year to conceive. I had one confirmed, and one suspected miscarriage during that time because my health, and other complications, couldn't support a fetus. The agony of losing a baby as a result of Crohn's isn't worth rushing it. While I know it's so hard to do, please let your body recover, and you'll know when you feel healthy enough to try again. Also, my OB/GYN and G.I. doctor have been a wonderful supportive team - so I would recommend getting both docs involved.
Good luck, and I send you and your husband my prayers for a healthy happy baby.

Just a quick update... Turns out I am pregnant!! It must be very early days, so we're talking to this bunch of cells urging it to cling on!
Thank you for your replies and encouragement x