• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just posted a couple of pics from some surgeries

Diagnosed in 2009 with Crohns, ulcerative colitis and IBS
I have had 4 outbreaks resulting in many hospital stays my longest in and out lasting 8 months
3 colonoscopy
2 endoscopy
7 abscess drains
1 heart attack
1 bowl resection (large & small)
1 blood clot

I am now on Humera and in remission so life is good right now

Looking to start a support group here in Harlingen Texas but I need to know theres more on here that live around me

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that you have had to spend to much time in hospital hun, it's great though that things are now turning round and the Humira is keeping the tum settled, we do have a sub forum for this if you would kike to have a chat with the folks here as well: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59. Do you know whether your docs have done any vitamin levels checks at all considering the op you have had?

AB
xx

Since my operation I have not had any vitamin checks nor do I continue the vitamin regemint I was on before surgery, believe it or not I only take my Humera now and I drink 1 gallon of milk everyday and I feel awesome!!

welcome aboard usmcfox ...nice to hear that you are in remission right now..all the best for future...and wish you a healthy life ahead.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there and welcome :)

Out of curiosity, did they give you any explanation for what they think caused the heart attack and the blood clot?

And I agree with the others about the vitamins and minerals. Common deficiencies in people with Crohn's with a resection like yours would be vitamin B12, vitamin D, magnesium, and zinc but they more they're willing to test, the better. But don't blindly supplement, get them tested!

I never pursued an explanation for either the clot nor the heart attack, I take my days as I get them and try not to focuse so much on the negative things and just live life!

Defiantly! I always like talking about here I just don't get carried away with the doctors so much for some reason, thanks though!!

David

Co-Founder
I guess my thing is, they're not by any stretch of the reason common symptoms of Crohn's Disease. There's extraintestinal manifestations and other stuff that can lead to them, and if it was me, I'd want to know WHY they happened so I can work to make sure they never happen again.

I had an episode of atrial fibulation (returned with cardiac paddles) and a second episode of a suspected heart attack on a combination of steroids, low potassium and being very ill with my UC. I had constant tachychardia for months from anemia and low potassium and felt almost instantly better once they finally figured it out and gave me 4 large bags of potassium infused saline in hospital. It's a simple test, so if you can get it checked, I would.

I was on a major outbreak when I had my heart attack and I know my levels were all over the place and I was too on steroids at that time, our stories seem similar. And David I agree 100% I'm just one of guys who goes to hospital to get better and then get out and live life, and probably a little more reckless then most on here, not that I'm irresponceable (I raise a family, work etc..) I just live life a little quicker and closer to the edge. I blame that on Marines lol