• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with diagnosis please

I've just come back from the consultant today, and am feeling confused I am convinced that I have got mild Crohns but he thinks it is unlikely-but possible. My sigmoidoscopy showed 'chronic mild patchy inflammation of unknown clinical significance'. When I had a flare up I had raised ESR, CRP and low folic acid. I've recently had a couple of bouts of episcleritis. I only get a 'flare up' of symptoms around once every ten months which lasts for a week-this started five years ago. He said that if it was Crohns the symptoms wouldnt resolve of their own accord after a week. He's now suggested a colonscopy and barium. I dont feel unwell enough to need any treatment at the moment, so not sure if there's any advantage to having these tests done..When I have had a flare up I feel dreadful, and worse than I did when I had appendicitis!

I don't see that there would be much of a disadvantage to having those tests done. A colonoscopy isn't so bad at all, and in my view, it's worth the peace of mind to at least eliminate some things conclusively and get more insight.

Of course, given the fact that I'm still undiagnosed because of my totally normal colonoscopy, sometimes the confusion just continues... ;)

Nonetheless, I say go for it. At least then you can know something more about what's going on in your body.

I agree with theseithakas, no reason not to have the tests. A less invasive test that could tell you if you have inflammation in your GI tract would be the Fecal Calprotectin test(This stool test would not tell you that you have an IBD like Crohn's Disease just that there is inflammation in your bowels) from this you could decide which tests were necessary next. Secondly, if there is inflammation simmering away in your GI tract it doen't need to be left untreated, no matter how mild.

I would say go for it too, nothing to lose and you may gain a diagnosis for the symptoms you have been experiencing as well as treatment!

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, sidari63! :)

Like everyone else has said, there's really no harm in having the tests done. Better safe than sorry, right? Instead of thinking about how you feel now, think about how you feel during your flare-ups.

Keep us updated! :)

As mentioned above, i truly believe having a dr. Wiling to help you find out what's going on is a wonderful asset. So many struggle with finding a dr willing to work with them or help them discover why they are experiencing what they are. At least this way, you would be provided with a little insight into why you feel so terrible every so often. I'm not a physician, just my opinion from outside looking in, but it may be that your symptoms are not resolving on their own, yet you are making slight lifestyle changes that are lessening them during the time you feel good. Potentially you trigger every so often, due to something like increased stress, change in diet or eating habits at that time. It's all dependent and situational, since we are all different in presentation.
I agree, it couldn't hurt to take a peak. At very least you could find piece of mind.
Good luck! - hugs-

Thanks for those replies. So, is it right that if it is Crohns the symptoms wouldnt disappear on their own after a week?

SarahBear

I couldn't say for sure, but one thing I've learned here is that Crohn's has a mind of it's own. As it affects everyone so differently, it's very hard to say how long it might flare. I do think it's unusual for it to always be so regular, though.

It may not be that it disappears, but becomes somewhat " under control" during good times, as i said above. It might be a good idea to start keeping a diary of when the symptoms occur, possibly giving you insight as to them becoming more prominent, or occurring closer together. Also, a diary of diet could help as to identify potential triggers, whether it is IBD, UC, or Crohns. Just food for thought. - hugs-