• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Home remedies for sore throat

Hi, I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible sore throat on right side of throat and it's super painful to swallow. I reluctantly took Tylenol and have been gargling with salt water. Trying to avoid antibiotics. Does anyone have any home remedies they can recommend?

Thanks!

-------------
UC diagnosis - 10/30/12
Tried Apriso but bad reaction and stopped
Completed 40 mg taper of prednisone and out of flare
Imuran will be started if/when next flare
Taking VegLife Vegan iron and Vegan multi-vitamin

Off the top of my head Ginger/Lemon tea with raw honey.

You can also check your local grocery store for tea. Some tea brands have tea formulas specifically for one thing, whether its a sore throat, stomach ache, etc. They might help, one brand I've used in the past with good results is the Yogi brand tea which they sell everywhere by me.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
There is this awesome tea you can find at your major grocery store or specialty food store. The brand is Traditional Medicinalsand the name of the tea is "Throat Coat". I swear by this stuff it is amazing and starts to work right away to soothe your throat. I use all of their teas as they are super effective for me. They also have a tea called "Breathe Easy" that opens up your sinuses as you drink it.

Feel better soon!

When I was in college and got a sore throat / stuffy nose. I would go in the shower room and blast hot water with the fan off to steam up the place. Take in mind our shower was in a 2x2 room so it was easy to steam up lol

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Diagnosed recently and am afraid to do anything these days. I think I will try these ideas! Beats taking medication. :ybiggrin:

Crohn's Mom

You can try 1 teaspoon vinegar and 1 teaspoon water mixed. You can do it 3 times a day - like you would an antibiotic. I know the thought of drinking vinegar is probably the last thing anyone wants to do lol but it does work. I have saved my kids from many doses of antibiotics with this. Their pediatrician is the one who told me about it many years ago and it works wonders :)
Hope you feel better quickly!
❤

Forgot about that, Apple cider is fine too, particularly if your using Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar brand which is probably the best/purest you can get in stores.

Tea tree oil is amazing for sore throats. Be careful with ingesting it tho! Maybe gargle with a diluted bit.

No idea how this would affect us as ibd sufferers but I find it really good
(I actually put a dab on my finger at the back of my tongue but having read online I know tea tree can be dangerous if over ingested so don't want to put anyone in harm by suggesting using it this way!)

Having UC and trying to avoid anti-biotics. The main forum talks about everything about Crohn's and beyond. Wish we had more posts that were UC related.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Have you tried the Ulcerative Colitis Forum on here yet?

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Also for those who do not post there, you can still find helpful information in the General IBD forum.

There are definitely UC people on this site, I just think they are a bit more scattered around. Feel free to share your input/questions on Ulcerative Colitis in the above forums as well as the Books, Multimedia, Research and News forum.