• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Guess what happens when you get 36 cowpox shots in 8 weeks.

I was 32, lean, quite healthy. But I experienced chronic canker sores. So a dermatologist decided to give me a series of weekly cowpox dosages to "perk up" my immune system. She gave me a single-dose injection on one friday, a double dose the second friday, a 3x dose on the third friday, then a 4x dose, 5x dose, 6x dose. She said I might develop a small fever over the weekend, and I did. Then came a 7x dose, and on the eighth week an 8x dose. Do the math, and that's 36 doses so far.

Then I suddenly began to hemorrhage blood like crazy. I was taken to the hospital, but no anti-inflammatory, nothing could stop it. Finally after three months in the hospital in which I lost close to 50 pounds my colon began to rupture and to save my life they cut it out and installed a bag on my side. Not fun, but it stopped the blood loss and enabled me to absorb food again.

They had left the last foot of the colon in place when they conducted the surgery, so a year later my brilliant surgeon was able to conduct a resection and sew me back together again. I still have what is now identified as Crohn's disease, but it has been manageable and in recent years, with remicade, it no longer has such an impact on my life. All in all I'm still alive, and I've been lucky.

What I've always wondered, however, was about the treatment protocol that I was given in the first place. What was the relationship of my collapse to the concurrent injection of 36 doses of cowpox vaccine? No doctor at the time was very interested in explaining it to me. Was there any precedent for it, or did the dermatologist just decide to experiment with my immune system and my life?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

When you had the canker sores did you ever get any other symptoms? I have just looked these up and they look exactly like what I used to get, they can occur if you are deficient in vitamin B12 which is a problem I have because of my crohn's, have you docs ever tested your vitamin levels at all? I could not advise about the vaccines you had as this is the first I myself have heard about this scale of injections as a treatment

You have certainly had to go though a lot with this disease already so I am glad that the Remi is helping, is your tum completely settled or do you still get some symptoms?

AB
xx

Gianni

Wow that is quite a lot to go through, I'm so sorry :(

You've come to the right place though, welcome!

So a dermatologist decided to give me a series of weekly cowpox dosages to "perk up" my immune system.
Was that the only reason the dermatologist gave you to justify the cowpox shots, to "perk up" your immune system? Did he or she exercise any diagnostic procedures on the canker sores before hand?

I don't know specifically if the cow pox vaccinations were a causing factor here. I do know that many people believe that other vaccinations can cause auto-immune diseases because of primarily two reasons. 1. These vaccines have high levels of mercury in them (at least until 2010) Mercury is the second most toxic substance known to man and is linked to causing a huge array of problems like cognitive disfunction and Immune system complications. 2. Vaccinations bypass the essential and primary elements of our Immune system (our nasal cavity, throat, lungs, stomach, and intestines which all contains essential parts to weaken or destroy the virus on its own). By injection a virus directly into the bloodstream the body will delve into "panic mode" and will absolutely "perk up" your immune system.

If it were just one vaccination that would be one thing, but 36 doses!? and without precedent!? that is outrageous and I would make sure that dermatologist never practiced again so others wouldn't have a similar outcome.

I can't tell you unequivocally that the vaccines caused your problems, but it definitely seems that way to me. Where there's smoke there's fire....

Please keep us updated on your progress. I think you'll really enjoy the community we've built here.

All the best

Gianni

That is the most bizarre treatment I have ever heard of. Just the load of Mercury from those shots had to be enormous.

Not only that but Canker sores are caused by a Herpes virus not the Cow Pox virus. I have never heard of such a thing, and I would find some answers and would want to know the rationale for such a risky treatment for the wrong virus.

Wow.

Dan

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community :)

That's... bizarre. Did the dermatologist provide any data that suggests their treatment had any sort of backing, even in theory?

Thank you all for your kind comments and queries. I posted this report of my own experience in the hope that it might help someone else better understand theirs.

In my own case, it's now many years later after that injection experience.

To answer some of the questions, yes, maybe 6-7 years earlier in my mid-20s I had maybe 2-3 days of a slight amount of blood in my anal discharge. I thought maybe I had swallowed a chicken bone or something. It never returned, so I thought nothing more about it.

I've never had a known vitamin deficiency. The cause of the canker sores was identified as herpes simplex, although how that was determined I no longer recall.

I take some metamucil which largely offsets the water left unabsorbed by the colon loss. So I live a pretty normal life. Except maybe the immune system gone wild is now the reason I have some consistent bronchial phlegm in recent years, and get short of breath too quickly. Annoying, makes it harder to go running.

If it wasn't all the cowpox dosages that whacked me, maybe it was the mercury in the dosages as Gianni pointed out.

Was my treatment a standard protocol? That's what I was hoping to find out by describing it to this forum. I never pushed to hard to get answers at the time for a number of reasons. One, the dermatologist was a friend of my father, who himself was a cancer surgeon. And for that reason she refused any compensation in the first place, just trying to do my father's child a favor. In other words she meant well, and pursuing her for malpractice wasn't going to undo the catastrophic damage to my body. Second, I lived; and then another very great doctor put me all back together again so I could get on with my life largely unaffected.

From my perspective, doctors help thousands and thousands of people in the course of their career. If one error or mistake were to destroy their career or their ability to help the other 99.999 percent of patients we wouldn't have any doctors, just a lot of lawyers. So my philosophy was – and still is – if a medical error wasn't deliberate and malicious, unless it proves completely crippling you can and should leave it alone.

But I hope the same doctors and research scientists will continue to come up with new treatments that effectively cure immune illnesses and all of the readers of this forum can go back to lives where they can spend more time surfing.

Very best to all.