Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis

01-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #121
muppet

Well, I know it's probably too early to be attributing anything to the supplements, but I gotta say, I've been working on a saltwater tank project all day yesterday and today. Yesterday, as I expected, after about 2 hours of hauling water, salt, and sand; working in confined spaces requiring lots of hand and arm strength on fittings; carrying loads up and down stairs; extra bending; lifting; etc.. I was really feeling it. I felt like I had run a marathon. I could feel the lactic acid building up in my muscles, my back and legs hurt, my neck hurt, I felt fatigued and older than I am and pretty miserable (but continued to work for hours longer anyway, feeling totally wiped out by bedtime.)

Today, I've been hauling sand, salt, and water; trucking gallons of water up and down stairs; adjusting fittings while crammed into tight spaces; and just basically the same routine.

Today, though, I feel flush with energy. My back doesn't hurt. My legs aren't tired. My neck and shoulder still hurt, but they always do because I habitually "pop" them.

I do have an odd sort of muted headache that feels unusual, but that's all.

I've only had two of the pills so far, but seriously, today is so much different than yesterday. The only other variable I can think of that's changed is that I had coffee (with caffeine, sugar, and cream) yesterday and only herbal tea (with caffeine) today.
01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #122
David
Co-Founder

Cool, I hope it continues I like that your supplement has a little zinc as well as that is something Crohnies are sometimes deficient in and 5mg per pill isn't too much (zinc toxicity is a very real thing).
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #123
muppet

OK, I don't mean to threadjack so if I have more to say I'll start my own thread, but man, I'm on day 3 of 3x daily magnesium supplements and I feel awake and alert and energetic. It hasn't taken away all the aches and pains, but I seem not to get tired muscles as quickly as I used to, even though it's only been 3 days on this stuff. I feel an alertness that I used to get from caffeine, except it doesn't wear off at lunchtime.

My biggest issue today is that I've returned to work after a few days off (another variable to consider, I guess) and I'm sitting in my cubicle feeling very restless and like time's a wasting while I do my very sedentary job.
01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #124
David
Co-Founder

Threadjack all you like. I don't mind Or start your own, I'd love to follow that as well.

Either way, I'm glad you're feeling a little better

Google for exercises you can do while sitting in your chair. Or get up every 10-15 minutes and do a little exercise of some sort. It's not healthy to be so sedentary anyway.
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #125
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Muppet, I work a desk job too and sometimes I just have to get up and do some yoga or jumping jacks in my cubicle. If you can do it without anyone seeing, or if your boss/co-workers are okay with it, I say do some exercise at your desk. Can you take walks outside during your lunch/breaks? I'm very fortunate that there is a gym in the basement of my workplace, so I use it all the time during my lunch hour. Is there a gym nearby or could you exercise before or after work to burn some of that energy? I am rarely restless so long as I am able to work out regularly, in spite of sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day.

David, how's your exercise going? Still doing it every day? What type of cardio are you doing?
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #126
David
Co-Founder

I've been really good about exercising. On Sunday I went and played a 2 hour soccer game which kicked my ass (still out of soccer shape) so I took Monday off, but other than that, I've been sticking to it.
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #127
David
Co-Founder

I have a new suspected trigger.

Bananas.

My wife and I dehydrate bananas. We don't add ANYTHING else but I've recently correlated gut pain with consumption of these. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I suspect it pretty strongly due to some testing I've done this past week. I'm going to cut out bananas for a couple weeks, see how I feel, then reintroduce them.

Considering I have 9 banana trees in my yard with fruit on them, I hope I'm wrong

Lower right gut pain - 3
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 2
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 7
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #128
muppet

Are you sure it's not related to the drying process? I've found that banana chips give me trouble, but not bananas. In my case it might be a preservative that's been added, but who knows.

It's a shame, because I love banana chips.
01-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #129
David
Co-Founder

It's certainly possible but I put NOTHING on them. I don't make banana chips, more like banana jerky. It's so delicious
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #130
muppet

Also, your posts are just more and more ammunition in my fight to convince my wife that we need to move to a state with a lower cost of living so that we can get a plot of land and grow at least some of our food.

Ideally, we'd move to a country with sane universal healthcare, but that's already a non-starter with her.
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #131
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David, bananas are a trigger for me too. I noticed a while back that they seemed to make my GERD worse - I would taste banana when I'd vurp, even if it had been 4 or 5 hours since I'd eaten a banana. So I tried giving them up for about 6 months. I recently tried introducing them. All was going okay until I was hungry one day and ate 2 bananas in the same day. Pain! So I am back to avoiding bananas. They clearly don't agree with me although I'm not sure why they affected my GERD the first time around and then caused pain the 2nd time. I hope when you reintroduce bananas that you have better luck than I did! But I wouldn't be surprised if they still cause you trouble too. Keep us posted, I'll be interested to hear how it goes either way!
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #132
SarahD

I have trouble with bananas too. I've heard that very ripe bananas tend to be easier to digest, and the SCD actually specifically recommends only eating bananas that are ripe with plenty of brown spots. Perhaps when you try to reintroduce them it might be worth starting with ripe ones first to see how you get on, then if everything seems ok try some slightly greener ones.

I also agree with muppet, the dehydrating process could be the problem. When I was on the LOFFLEX diet I was told to avoid dried and dehydrated fruits - I think this was mainly because of insoluble fibre but I may be wrong, it could also have been because a lot of commercial dried fruit has added sugar (which obviously wouldn't be an issue for you since you made them yourself and didn't add anything).

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
01-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #133
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
How are you doing, David? Any falling off the wagon lately? Still exercising regularly?

I think I actually started over-exercising. I didn't give myself a rest day for too long and my legs got painfully sore because I was working them every day - even though I was alternating cardio with weights, my legs still got a good workout every day so I was risking injury. I gave myself a rest day and felt SO much better. So, it's awesome to exercise a lot - but listen to your body and take a rest day if need be.

Muppet, how are you doing? Still energetic on the magnesium supps? I took magnesium for a bit but it seemed to give me looser stools and I didn't notice any change in my energy levels or anything else, so I've stopped taking it for now.
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #134
David
Co-Founder

I've been meaning to update but kept getting distracted

Frankly, I'm doing fantastic. In the last week, I have twice gone out to Italian restaurants and not only did I not order pasta (the gluten nails me) but when they brought out that incredibly delicious bread and olive oil mix, I didn't have a single piece. In the past, my mind would always justify having some. "My gut is already killing me, I might as well" or, "I'm feeling good, a little won't hurt too much". I FINALLY didn't give in. I realize that's easy for many of you, but it was quite a break-through for me.

My eye inflammation isn't 100% gone but close enough that I'm going to rate that a 0. It has been glorious not having to deal with that annoyance for a few days.

Lower right gut pain - 1
Costochondritis - 2
Eye inflammation - 0
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8
01-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #135
muppet

Magnesium still seems to be working great for me, and Sarah reports positive effects from it as well. We both seem to be in a better mood on it, although she's also newly on methyl-prednisolone so it's hard to say for sure yet.
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #136
muppet

In fact, maybe I'm exaggerating, and my decision to just try to be healthier in general (though I haven't actually put this much into practice yet) is playing a role in things, but seriously, I think supplementing magnesium has made me a better person.

I always thought I had Seasonal Affectedness Disorder (never diagnosed) and I had hemmed and hawed about asking my doctor for an SSRI. Since I started taking Mg, I'm feeling so much better it's ridiculous. Maybe there's some placebo action involved, but if there is, I don't care. I'm in a better mood. I feel less stressed out and overwhelmed (I've also recently used mint.com to write a comprehensive budget for my family, so that helped with stress, too).

My teenager still drives me crazy, and I'm working on that. Actually, since she started supplementing Mg, she's driving me a little less crazy, and has gone back to work on her art and writing with a fervor that had been missing for awhile (new methyl-prednisolone course may be helping this.)

I feel better physically. I feel better about myself. I feel better about other people. My job doesn't stress me out like it used to. We're going through a re-org here and it was making me mental. I'm still worried about some things, especially whether they'll try to change my work hours, but overall, I'm not really sweating it.

The past TEN YEARS have seen me as one giant bundle of stress and angst and worry and between writing the budget and supplementing this stuff, a lot of that has just melted away.

It seems CRAZY to lay so much of this at the feet of a simple dietary supplement, and there have been some other contributing factors as well, but man, seriously, I feel so much different it's ridiculous. Now I'm eager to take a look at other minerals/nutrients/dietary factors I might be missing.
01-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #137
David
Co-Founder

There's lots of potential things at play here Muppet. Magnesium is known to take part in over 300 biochemical reactions. It is SO IMPORTANT in SO MANY areas and that's just what they've discovered so far. In regards to what you specifically list, a couple possibilities:

1. Magnesium deficiency by itself can lead to depression, anxiety, irritability, etc.
2. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to SAD. Magnesium is a co-factor of vitamin D. In other words, you need enough magnesium for vitamin D to properly work.

I'm of the opinion that magnesium deficiency is critical in the pathogenesis of Crohn's disease.
01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #138
muppet

I don't doubt that the RDA for Mg is well researched, but I'm a little confused by the fact that the major reason it's listed as so important is that it's a component of 300 some odd enzymes in the body. Well, enzymes are catalysts, and not consumed by reactions, right? So.. why the constant need for replenishment?

Still, can't argue with the apparent results.
01-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #139
David
Co-Founder

I'm not going to pretend to say I understand all the chemistry behind it, maybe someone else (or you) can educate us. But as you say, the RDA is pretty darn well researched.

This is a pretty interesting article on magnesium reabsorption though.
01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #140
muppet

Now I'm taking a serious look at my youngest's diet. She's a really, really, really picky eater and I know that her nutrition isn't even close to balanced. I'm not sure I can do much about it until she's a little older, though.

She's been having serious constipation lately so naturally I'm all wigged out about that. :/
01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #141
David
Co-Founder

Well, you CAN do something about it, it might just be really hard
01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #142
muppet

That's a horrendous understatement.

Her autism diagnosis seems to be mostly bogus, in my opinion, but boy does it seem to manifest around mealtime, bedtime, and any time she's exceptionally tired. Maybe that's what normal toddlers are like, though. I can't remember from my first.

I read the article and got a little cross-eyed toward the conclusion, but it doesn't seem to be recommending life-long Mg supplementation. I need to do more reading about this. Still, the RDA is there and that's compelling by itself.
01-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #143
David
Co-Founder

Ugh. Garlic and/or onion definitely kicks my ass. I had some three nights ago and ended up with some serious diarrhea. One more test this evening and I sit here feeling absolutely terrible, wanting to go to sleep, but my gut feeling terrible. God I love the taste of both, but no more of them for me. I don't feel like testing anymore to see if it's one or both that sets me off. I'm putting both as confirmed.
01-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #144
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I can't cope with onion or garlic either, David, but I can cope with well-cooked leek. Perhaps that's worth a try.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #145
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David, I can't do garlic either. A friend of mine posted something on facebook recently, a recipe for a garlic soup that supposedly can stop the common cold in its tracks (I didn't read the accompanying article so I don't know how scientific it actually was). I believe the recipe called for 52 cloves of garlic. Yeah, no thanks, I'll take the cold instead! I'd take 52 colds over 52 cloves of garlic, eek! I think my insides would turn into lava and melt (also not very scientific) if I ate that soup.

And if it makes you feel any better, I confirmed that garlic is a trigger for me the day of my hubby's grandfather's funeral. I had spaghetti the evening before the funeral, and there was some fresh chopped garlic mixed into the sauce. I felt okay that evening but woke up feeling terrible. I obviously couldn't skip the funeral though, my in-laws dislike me enough already so I couldn't not show up. An hour car ride each way plus nothing but trigger foods (fruit salad, ham, nuts, etc) being served after the funeral meant it was really not a good guts day, and I had to pretend that everything was okay because I knew that day was not about me. So yeah. I now know not to try new foods just before any event like that!
01-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #146
David
Co-Founder

I just woke up with some heartburn. Not a big deal but it's no fun. A few chugs of the goat milk kefir I've been buying, and it's almost gone now. Such a wonderful product. So good in fact that I just emailed the company:
Greetings,

A few months ago I purchased your goat milk kefir after seeing it in a Whole Foods here in Southwest Florida. I was instantly hooked; it is a truly wonderful product. As someone with Inflammatory Bowel Disease who is treating himself holistically, I was already on my way towards remission. I don't credit your product with putting me into remission, but as I sit here, I know that it helped send me in that direction. It has been part of my healing process. And for that, I am truly grateful to all of you who are involved in the process of making this wonderful product.

I notice your product flying off the store shelves at this point which tells me that others are experiencing the same. I see you've been in business for over 30 years so you already know success. But I'm guessing this is a whole new level of success for your company and you're being asked to continually ramp up production. As a businessman and someone who is now working to develop a sustainable food forest, I know how hard this can be. I know how hard it can be to maintain your personal and product integrity and still ramp up production. I know the pressures you will face from the big business and I know how the allure of money can change things.

As I sit here typing this, I beg of you, PLEASE do not compromise your integrity as you grow. I am happy to pay $6.99 for your product. If necessary, I'll pay $7.99, $8.99, $9.99, heck, $29.99 because I know your product is quality and helps me stay healthy. That is invaluable in today's world as so many have compromised their integrity. I am not alone. Please continue to help heal. Expand as needed, but in a manner that sustains. We'll support you and if necessary, fight for you as long as you maintain your integrity.

Thank you for all that you do.

Regards,

David Chapman
I've still been feeling great. The costochondritis has flared a little but that's ok. I was weak today and stopped at a Chik Fil A and had gluten and other crap. I was driving my parents to the airport and had a 1.5 hour drive back home and was sleepy so got the food to help keep me awake. Hopefully it doesn't negatively affect me much, if at all.

Lower right gut pain - 1
Costochondritis - 3
Eye inflammation - 1
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8
01-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #147
David
Co-Founder

I've been meaning to update about my electrolyte enhanced water. I turns out my recipe of sea salt and baking soda was terrible. I'm an idiot and for some reason it entered my brain that baking soda has calcium. It does not. It's basically more salt. So if you've been using my recipe, I'm REALLY sorry but it's probably not good.

After a bunch of research, I found, purchased, and installed this product in my water system. Now the calcium and magnesium that my water treatment system strips from the water is put back in automatically.

01-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #148
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Owww! Nice thread! I'll have to follow along. I'm just getting around to the cleaner water idea, I've been drinking spring water of late, and seem to be having some success with it. Whether the success remains is yet to be determined, but always nice to feel and look healthier too.
01-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #149
muppet

The spike of euphoria I got from Mg supplements has died down after about a week and a half. I'm not sure if this is because I coincidentally started allowing myself caffeinated coffee again in the mornings (due to some recurrent constipation, related to the supplements?) or not around the same time as I stopped feeling the mild day-long "high" from magnesium or not. I guess that's worth a trial.

I have noticed that I feel much, MUCH less compulsion to click my left shoulder and the left side of my neck. The constant "live wire" tingling I have felt in my shoulder and neck for AT LEAST TWENTY YEARS seems to be MUCH, MUCH less after around 2 weeks of Mg supplementation. I'm convinced that THIS at least, can't be a coincidence.
01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #150
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David, what benefits exactly does the kefir provide? I'm presuming probiotics?

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis