Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis

01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #151
David
Co-Founder

Yep, probiotics is the main one. Nice source of calcium as well. Some protein and iron too but not that much.
01-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #152
Beach
Forum Monitor

Today marks day 7 that I've been somewhat healthy with the gut since I began drinking spring water. Hard to say for sure if it is the natural water that is helping. Further time will tell. Figure though with having this success, I'll look into one of those household water purifiers, along with the additional machine that re-adds a few healthy minerals.

I believe there is one item I can attribute to the spring water helping for sure. It happened right after i began drinking the natural water. For a number of years I've been uncomfortable when sitting. My gut can be slightly bloated. That feeling has largely gone away. Makes me wonder if I might be overly sensitive to chlorine or fluoride found in tap water.

It could possibly also explain some of my worst days, where I was in the bathroom all day long. All speculation, but on those bad days with trying to stay hydrated, possibly the chlorinated tap water I was drinking was further irritating my gut.
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #153
David
Co-Founder

That's wonderful that you're feeling better Beach! Here's a little reading for you.
01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #154
Beach
Forum Monitor

Yeah, very well could be about the food allergies. It wouldn't surprise me and is something I'm testing too with a food journal. I live in the middle of farm country where pesticides and herbicides are frequently used.
01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #155
David
Co-Founder

Prior to drinking your spring water, what were you drinking? Your regular tap water? If so, do you have a filtration or water softener system on your tap water?
01-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #156
Beach
Forum Monitor

I was simply drinking tap water before. No filtration system is in the house, other than now I've added a chlorine remover to the shower.
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #157
muppet

I know you said it's OK to threadjack, but I still feel bad flooding this thread. Just not bad enough to go make my own...

I missed my magnesium this morning and I coincidentally notice quite a bit of pain in my left shoulder and neck, and a very large desire to click/crack both continuously.

This could be psychosomatic as this particular pain/tic has definitely responded to anxiety in the past, and I'm a little anxious about missing the supplement pill (in that I'm expecting to feel sluggish and that the pain in my neck will come back).
01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #158
David
Co-Founder

Muppet, seriously dude, post as much as you want in here. I welcome all comers

*passes the peace pipe*

I'm feeling great! This evening I laid on my bed and went probing for pain in my lower right quadrant. At my worst, prior to diagnosis, the pain was bad enough when pressing with a hand that I ended up with a CT to see what was going on. Twice. "There's nothing wrong with you" was the diagnosis twice

Fast forward to this evening. I can still feel a very small area of pain but I have to really press to get to it, and it's small. It was quite diffuse in the past. I can't claim 0 for my pain, but I can't say 1 either. There's still something in there that's healing. Whether there's active inflammation in there, I have no idea.

I've been testing apples (Pink Lady variety as I believe different varieties make a difference) a little and so far no heart burn like they gave me in the past which is interesting. I've also had cheese fries a couple times with no problem. And lots of chocolate. Heh.

Lower right gut pain - .5
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 1
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8
01-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #159
David
Co-Founder

I just chewed down on a piece of hard candy and shattered it. In the past, my teeth have felt somewhat brittle and sensitive. It donned on me as I shattered the peppermint into tiny shards that my teeth feel strong. In the past, my teeth got so bad that along the gum line my enamel was wasting away to the point they had to fill it. These weren't cavities mind you, it was the hard minerals in my teeth wasting away and leaving holes.

My teeth feel... healthy now. Changing my diet, growing super nutritious food, getting tons of vitamin D, taking magnesium and some calcium, and the occasional vitamin K2 as Beach outlined here. Whatever was wrong with me was wearing away some of the hardest parts of my body. I can't imagine what it was doing to my insides. Actually, I can. I have felt it. It wasn't good.

My body is healing.

01-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #160
Beach
Forum Monitor

Ya!!!!! Glad another MC suffer is in less pain and doing better!

I'm the same, still doing good to the gut. Quite pleased about it. it's always a little funny when the gut begins behaving well. I've been working hard on my diet, been good with what I eat, not cheating. And now that the hard work is paying off I want to tell everyone, family, friends something along the lines of "You won't believe what I did in the bathroom!" I can get away with that here on the Crohn's forum - obviously not so much with others.

My teeth on the other hand are a different story. I had an old root canal tooth break. So next week I'm having a tooth implanted. Shouldn't be painful, nor take long, but have been told to expect to hear lots of "crunching noises". Might have to bring my ipad to drown that out.

Bit concerned about a recent dental report from a new dentist I began seeing. My old dentist is letting his newly graduated daughter take over the business. It was my first time seeing her. To my surprise she told me I have two cavities. Grrrr....Since changing my diet 5,6 years ago, along with taking the supplements, I hadn't developed a single cavity. This was a huge change from when I used to eat anything I wanted, 6 years earlier. Back then I was a cavity creating machine, sadly. So anyway, I'm becoming cynical in my older age, and wonder if I really need the dental work or not. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with the filling, but I think at this point I'd be better suited seeing one of those prevention dentists I've been reading about. I'll have to research if one practices here in town, or possibly in Florida.
02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #161
David
Co-Founder

I started playing soccer at some pickup games here in town about a month ago. The last two times I've gone, after the game I would notice white powder on my forehead. Not a ton, but certainly visible. I realized that this was from my sweat. I don't think it's salt though it could be. I actually theorize that it's magnesium and/or MAYBE calcium. I know I've never been deficient in salt but haven't had this kind of powder since I was young.

My mind wonders if this kind of thing is supposed to happen but we're so deficient in magnesium that our body doesn't allow any to be sweated out. I don't feel like it's unhealthy and my urine doesn't seem to be off. I actually feel great. I think I'll get some blood and urine tests done soon just to corroborate how I'm feeling.
02-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #162
rygon

My Support Groups:
Its dandruff David
02-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #163
David
Co-Founder

Hahahah.

It's definitely a mineral powder.
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #164
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David, that's weird about white stuff coming out in your sweat. I work out regularly and I've never noticed white stuff like what you describe. The only thing I'm sure that I'm frequently deficient in is sodium (confirmed via bloodwork), and I probably get low in potassium regularly too as I experience toe cramps fairly often. Anyway, let us know if you find out what it is, I am curious to know!

Going back to the kefir, keep an eye on things just in case. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but probiotics are apparently one of my triggers. I tried taking probiotic capsules daily for awhile and they made my GERD worse. So I stopped them, but at one point I decided I should try Greek yogurt since it is supposed to be so healthy. Fissures and hemmies aside, that was the only time I've ever bled out of my backside, and I was in pain for days after eating that one little container of Greek yogurt. Long story short, I won't be trying kefir, no matter how awesome you make it sound.
02-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #165
Beach
Forum Monitor

David, that's weird about white stuff coming out in your sweat. I work out regularly and I've never noticed white stuff like what you describe. The only thing I'm sure that I'm frequently deficient in is sodium (confirmed via bloodwork), and I probably get low in potassium regularly too as I experience toe cramps fairly often. Anyway, let us know if you find out what it is, I am curious to know!

Going back to the kefir, keep an eye on things just in case. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but probiotics are apparently one of my triggers. I tried taking probiotic capsules daily for awhile and they made my GERD worse. So I stopped them, but at one point I decided I should try Greek yogurt since it is supposed to be so healthy. Fissures and hemmies aside, that was the only time I've ever bled out of my backside, and I was in pain for days after eating that one little container of Greek yogurt. Long story short, I won't be trying kefir, no matter how awesome you make it sound.
Probiotics never did much for me either. I've wondered if it was due to taking the wrong type for what I need. Hard to say. There seems to be many for sale. I was reading this morning too of a firm announcing the discovery of 3 new "helpful" strains for colon health. Sound nice, but I guess we'll see.

I've seen you mention having some success with taking pysllium husks. That's something I'm thinking of taking in the near future, along with other fiber sources. Apparently soluble fiber is supposed to be helpful at naturally promoting a healthy gut flora. I'm hoping that is the case.

"Soluble Fiber: Food for Gut Flora"

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot....gut-flora.html
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #166
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yes, psyllium husks do me a lot of good! I didn't know that about psyllium promoting healthy gut flora though, that's very interesting. My guts like psyllium a lot more than they like standard probiotics so whatever works! So, my psyllium story in a nutshell: When I hit remission, I didn't really have d much anymore, but I was still "going" anywhere from 4 to 10 times daily. I saw Dusty's thread about psyllium, and I happened upon psyllium husks one day at Whole Foods, so I gave it a try and I'm glad I did. I now go more like 2 to 4 times daily and I feel a lot more comfortable (I take one tablespoon daily - when starting out I would recommend no more than one teaspoon daily, start small and increase your dose gradually if need be). When I first started psyllium, I was a bit crampy for a few weeks, I guess as my body was getting used to it, but now I rarely cramp up. So yeah, psyllium has done me a lot of good and I definitely recommend giving it a try.

(Sorry to threadjack, David!)
02-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #167
David
Co-Founder

I laid in a nice warm bath this evening and relaxed. As I prodded my lower right quadrant, I couldn't find any pain. It has been well over 2 years, actually much longer than that, since I couldn't find pain in my gut. As far as I know, there's no equivalent of the CDAI for microscopic colitis but I am no doubt in clinical remission. Of course, as clinical remission is really just a reduction in symptoms, I've been in clinical remission for quite awhile. Am I in deep, stable remission? Is there even such a thing for MC like there is Crohn's? I have no idea on either account but I'm definitely not ready to declare that and want to have some tests done first. I do still have some costochondritis but that's about it.

An interesting thing has happened since I began remineralizing my water. I get thirsty. For the longest time, I haven't really felt thirsty. I'd work in the yard in the hot sun and sweat a ton, but I'd have to force myself to drink. Since adding the filter that puts magnesium and calcium in my water, I get thirsty. I think that's a good thing but I'm not completely sure. Heh.

Lower right gut pain - 0
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 0
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8

02-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #168
happy

My Support Groups:
Hi David,
Yup, time for the dancing banana--sounds like (whisper it) --remission!!

So glad to hear that you are doing so well.
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #169
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David! You can't post that you think you are in remission, and then not update for a week! We're (or at least I am) dying to know how you're doing, and if you still feel like you're in remission?

As for whether deep, stable remission is possible with MC - I would certainly think so. As you know, I'm still undiagnosed. Crohn's and MC are the two biggest suspects (my GI says UC has essentially been ruled out as I am not a bleeder). I'm in deep, stable remission. Does it matter which type of IBD I have? Sure, to some extent. There's like a 50/50 chance I have MC, and I've been in remission for close to 2 years now, for whatever that is worth.
02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #170
David
Co-Founder

Not much to update really. I'm still doing great and consider myself in remission Covered in poison ivy rash from working in the yard, but that's not a huge deal.
02-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #171
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Woo hoo, remission! I hope you stay there a long time!

How's the diet going? Are you still exercising regularly?

Just a random thought, but when I first started going into remission, I questioned it. I referred to it as being "near-remission" for a while because I didn't trust or believe it was really remission. I do think there are gradients of remission, it's not just a black & white thing. It took a long time and it wasn't until I hit that "deeper" level of remission that I started to trust that it was really real. So, I'm proud of you for calling it remission this early in - you're more trusting than I am apparently.
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #172
David
Co-Founder

The diet is going well For the most part I'm sticking to it pretty good.

I've joined an adult soccer league so between that and the farm work outside and other little exercises I do, I'm getting plenty

Thanks for checking in Cat!
02-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #173
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
For a second I was like, soccer? But it's winter! Then I remembered you live in one of those fancy places that doesn't have winter. We can really only do outdoor sports here from like May thru September and they're saying we may get another blizzard next week. So, yeah... enjoy that outdoor soccer for me, the only outdoor exercise I'm going to get for awhile is more shoveling.
03-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #174
HacksawOnRye

Big thanks to David for starting and caring for this welcoming forum. This thread in particular was very enlightening.

Quick background. Just got diagnosed with LC. At first, thought I had picked up parasites from a backpacking trip! Been a healthy type 1 diabetic for 39 years now, so modifying and monitoring diet to improve health is second nature to me.

This forum has inspired me to start an elimination diet and get the right concoction of supplements figured out.

Started by eliminating eggs and apples which I used to eat every day. Noticeable difference minus the eggs immediately! Going shopping for supplements today.

I have a week long, high-mileage backpacking trip scheduled for the fall so I am very motivated to find the right balance.

Big thanks again to David and others for sharing. I'll share my experiences as they unfold.
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #175
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi HacksawOnRye, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid your post might get lost in the shuffle here - you might want to start a new thread in My Story to let people get to know you.

How long did you have symptoms before getting diagnosed with LC? Were you diagnosed via biposy? Are you on any medications for it? I hope you can get it under good control before your backpacking trip - good luck, and again, welcome!
03-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #176
muppet

Possibly an interesting bit of info. Way back a couple of months ago I started supplementing magnesium based on David's overwhelming support and evangelism for the stuff at the time.

Well, recently (last 3 weeks) I've stopped taking it, just because I kept forgetting to do it, and eventually I lost the habit (pill planners have nothing on my absent mindedness).

My joints have all started hurting terribly, I have no energy, I caught a miserable cold just yesterday...

The thing is, I think all of these aches and pains and fatigue were my background level of health prior to supplementing magnesium. It seems much worse than I remember, but I went reading through some old blog posts and such and it's probably about the same, just magnified by the contrast of two months without all these problems.

So.. not very scientific, really, but magnesium seems to really work very well for me. Now to get back on it and find a way to keep the habit. :P
03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #177
David
Co-Founder

Thanks for the update Muppet I'm pleased to hear the magnesium appears to be working well for you! I'll be curious to see if the symptoms go away again once you start back up. Please keep us updated either way.
03-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #178
David
Co-Founder

I finally got off my butt and ordered some blood work and a urinalysis (I do it myself rather than pay extra to go to the doctor). My results did indeed corroborate how I'm feeling!

CMP12+8AC+CBC/D/Plt+UA -- EVERYTHING normal except some trace ketones but that's no biggie considering my low carb high protein diet.
CRP - Normal
ESR - Normal

My urine pH was 6.0 which was a little surprising considering my magnesium supplementation. I would have expected it to be neutral or even a little alkaline. I'm going to do some more research on that and keep an eye on it with future tests. Probably nothing though.

I also got my plasma zinc tested just for curiosity sake as it was one of the few minerals I haven't had tested. It was 97ug/dL with a reference range of 56 - 134.

03-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #179
Jam300

My Support Groups:
This is (almost) entirely off topic, but it makes me so happy to hear about people playing football (soccer). I'm honestly never happier than when i'm playing, to the point where it just makes me smile thinking about others enjoying it in the sun. Good on you David, hope you keep it up!
Currently undergoing re-assessment.
04-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #180
David
Co-Founder

It seems that Costco organic tortilla chips flare me for some reason. Looking at the ingredients, they're fantastic and other brand tortilla chips are fine. But if I get a bag of Costco tortilla chips, my gut is a mess until I stop eating them. I don't know if it's the variety of corn they use, the process they use to make them or what.

I've correlated this in the past but have been doing so well I figured I'd get a bag since they are so cheap compared to other organic tortilla chips. Sure enough, my gut got angry. No more for me.

This is an example of just how complicated finding triggers can be.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis