Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis

04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #181
muppet

Co-founder now? Does that mean you're not an admin anymore?!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I've added Fish Oil supplements to my calcium/magnesium/zinc supplements that I started back when you were evangelizing for magnesium.

OH.. by the by, I went back on the magnesium and all the returned pain and unhappiness I was talking about in my last update went away. There's no doubt in my mind that magnesium makes a HUGE difference for me.

Now with the addition of fish oil (DHA? Aminos? Not sure what the "good" stuff is), I've gotten back a mental sharpness that I haven't felt since high school. I'm a creative guy. I love art, writing, reading, ARGUING... and since adding fish oil to my regimen in concert with magnesium, and for some reason I think this is important, my mental acuity has jumped. I'm able to make MUCH more eloquent arguments. :-D

There's something to this supplementation crap, it seems...
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #182
David
Co-Founder

I'm no longer the lead admin. Jennifer is.

That's awesome that you're doing so well on the supplement regimen. I'm happy for you

In regards to magnesium, when they finally figure out the cause of Crohn's disease, I bet money that magnesium deficiency is a variable in that equation.
04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #183
muppet

Well congrats to Crabb... Jennifer then.

Every so often I get bouts of ego where I think I'm the expert on all things Crohn's and should be running a place like this, and then I get over it, which is for the best.
04-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #184
David
Co-Founder

Yeah, I recently got over that too
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #185
muppet

Oh I wasn't being subtle there. I don't think you have an ego problem at all. I'm kind of in awe of your knack for diplomacy and even handedness, which I wish I had.
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #186
David
Co-Founder

I didn't take it that way. I was trying to be funny and obviously failed

Up your dose of magnesium and maybe you'll win the Nobel Peace Prize.
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #187
muppet

I'm sure you didn't fail at humor, I'm just conversationally stunted.

If I do, I'll come back and revisit that whole ego thing.
04-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #188
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It is surprising at how some supplements such as fish oil, magnesium can change moods. At this point I don't remember how those supplements changed me all that well, it's been 5, 6 years since I began taking them, but recall how they effected others in my family. In general everyone is now much nicer and cheerful. It's wonderful. As I've joked with other, I inadvertently drugged my family for the best.

Vitamin D3 is another good mood enhancer.
04-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #189
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David, so glad to hear it's going so well for you. I must say though, I've been taking magnesium at your suggestion for a little while now, and I've been taking fish oil and vit d for quite awhile, and my mood/mental sharpness aren't any different. I will say, I had gradually increased the amount I am exercising, from 2x a week 2 years ago to every day now, and I have found that the more I exercise, the better my mood is. But I have only noticed this correlation with exercise, never with supplements.

I wish I had that mental sharpness that Muppet mentioned, too. I'm apparently not getting any noticeable benefits from my supplements as I have very bad short-term memory. So often I'll do things like, leave the house and get into my car. Then I'll think, did I lock the house? It was literally 10 seconds ago and I don't remember. So I have to get out of my car and check. Usually the house is locked but sometimes not. I do the same thing with taking my pills. I sit there on the couch with a pill bottle in my hand and I get distracted by the computer and then I think, I'm holding my pill bottle - but did I take my pills yet or not? I have to do something to make myself remember, like bite my tongue or say out loud, "I'm taking my pills!" so that I don't forget in a few seconds that I did it. I'm only 33 so it's not like I'm going senile (I hope!). Anyway, I'm happy to hear that supplementation is going well for everybody but me.
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #190
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's not good Cat. It sounds like you are falling apart. I recall earlier in the week your problem with new bleeding, and rightfully being concerned with that - with probiotics being a concern along with dairy foods. I recall also the folic acid problem not that long ago.

Have you considered seeing a doctor for the memory and bleeding problems? I don't know what it would be, but something serious could be afoot, needing to be addressed.

I know personally for me, synthetic B vitamins such as folic acid, niacin, or simply a multi vitamin with Bs in it, hurts my memory, causing me to forget things. They make me feel chilled, which in turn seems to cause me memory issues, leading me to look for ways to warm up.
04-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #191
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Beach, I do seem to jump from one problem to another, story of my life! The memory issues have been going on for a few years, they started shortly after I first developed IBD (which was in late 2009). I always assumed they were part and parcel of IBD - I started getting migraines around the same time, and my doctors were always more concerned about the migraines than the memory issues. I just figured they were all related somehow and never really paid it much more attention than that.

The bleeding was a one-day thing fortunately and I'm feeling a lot better today. The first time I bled, I did mention it to my GI, but since it was a one-time thing he wasn't too concerned. I see him again later this month and will mention this latest incident (although both incidents were related to dairy and probiotics, so I think now that I've narrowed down the trigger, I should be okay with just avoiding that stuff).

That's interesting about you getting the chills and memory issues from B vitamins. I take B12 and biotin but I don't get the chills from them, and the memory/migraine issues didn't coincide with when I started taking those either. I only get really chilled when I flare (and I haven't flared in 2 years). I can recall one bad flare where the chills would get worse after every episode of d, and it got to the point where I sat in a hot bath but still couldn't warm up. That was pretty miserable! I used to be one of those people who is always cold, but that has gotten a lot better since I've been working out so regularly. I guess I just needed to get my blood pumping more regularly or something along those lines. Long story short, no real chills or coldness for me and nothing like that related to the memory issues either.
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #192
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well, I hope you get to the bottom of the problems. Hopfully the doctor can be of help. I know many of these B vitamins are helpful for many, but you might give it a go to avoid the B12 and biotin for a few days to see if that helps your situation. It certainly helped me. Synthetic B vitamins, all of them, for what ever reason really do a number on my mental state.

I'm glad the warmer weather is moving into the mid-west. The water heater in my place is one of those small hot water on demand boxes. It's excellent at saving money, but the unit installed only creates luke warm water during winter. Oh, with this IBD condition I enjoy a nice hot shower or bath. I can get the chills when ills to the gut, or B vitamins it seems. Working out helps me too to warm up. It's one of the reasons why I got into exercising.
04-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #193
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I think I will forgo the B12 and biotin for a bit and see if that does anything. I started taking B12 when I first was ill and suspected IBD, because all the research says that B12 is what IBD'ers tend to be low in - I never really bothered to re-assess taking it when I hit remission. And I started taking biotin back when I was on Entocort, as Entocort made my hair start to fall out, and someone from the Undiagnosed Club said that biotin can sometimes help stop/prevent hair loss. It worked, but I haven't been on Entocort for 2 years now, so it's probably safe to stop it. (If my hair starts falling out again, though, I will be going right back to biotin!)
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #194
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm threadjacking David's thread again, but Beach, I wanted to give an update to my last post in here. I stopped taking Biotin and B12, and I've noticed absolutely zero difference with my memory issues. Yesterday I was in the shower and couldn't remember if I had shampooed my hair yet or not. Today I was in the gym and couldn't remember if I had done my hip stretches yet or not. So yeah, I'm the same as I was. Still can't remember if I did something 5 seconds ago or not.
04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #195
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cat - It's funny you mention this today because I've taken 500mgs of niacin the last couple of days. I wanted to see how it effected me. I've been well to the gut of late. The dietary ideas I've been doing seem to finally be helping me greatly. So I wanted to see if there was a difference, being well and taking a B vitamin.

Nope, no change. This B vitamin still did a number on me. I'm having a difficult time concentrating today.

Hope you find out what is wrong with your memory. Did you remember to mention the problem with your doctor?
04-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #196
David
Co-Founder

I'm finding that my two biggest drivers for memory and ability to feel more intelligent than a snail are ample sleep and stress. Too little sleep and my brain goes on strike. Too much stress and my brain goes on strike.

Nutritionally I feel sound, those two are my next big steps.
04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #197
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Beach, I did not remember to mention it to my GI. I was wrapped up in all the drama of Asacol being discontinued - I did mention that I stopped B12 and Biotin, but I didn't get as far as explaining why. The Asacol stuff took center stage at that appointment.

David, I have sleep and stress pretty well under control so I don't think that's the culprit. As long as I work out every day, stress really doesn't get to me. I can leave everything in the gym and I feel so great and relaxed when I'm done. I sleep pretty well most of the time too, I make an effort to try to get 8 hours every night. Diet-wise I am admittedly still not the best though, although I am juicing more lately. I have noticed a correlation between brain fog and eating junk food, but the brain fog seems to be completely different from the memory issues. The brain fog is more of a lack of focus & concentration, whereas the memory issues are things like, I just left the house 10 seconds ago, but did I lock the door? I have a pill bottle in my hand, but did I just take my pills or not? It's a lack of immediate short-term memory for routine things.
05-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #198
Okrad

My Support Groups:
I made a new vat of my homemade soup this evening for dinner. I thought I'd share the recipe:

- Home grown better than organic (BTO) okra.
- Home grown, BTO garlic chives.
- Home grown, BTO Moringa
- Home grown, BTO sweet potato vine leaves
- Home grown, BTO edible hibiscus
- Home grown, BTO yard long beans
- Home grown, BTO oregano.
- Organic peas
- Organic broccoli
- Organic red cabbage
- Organic cauliflower
- Organic zuchinni
- Tons of different spices and some salt

Usually I add some black or kidney beans but I'm out.

Toss in a big vat and boil for 15 minutes. Yummy
OMG! That would kill me! But I bet it is so tasty!!
01-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #199
David
Co-Founder

I'm still doing fantastic. I do still have recurring chostochondritis but it's not too bad. My gut is and has been fine. I'm eating wheat/gluten in moderation with no problem so I don't think that was an issue. In fact, I'm back on most foods with no problem although I am eating a substantial amount from my yard and little to no sugar.
01-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #200
happy

My Support Groups:
Awesome David, That is so great to hear that you are well. How is your fatherhood journey going?
01-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #201
David
Co-Founder

It's awesome, thanks for asking Myles Lloyd Chapman will be 2 months old on January 2nd. He's a handful but I'm in love

How have you been happy?
01-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #202
happy

My Support Groups:
I love your son's name. Our daughter was tough to settle, and to get to sleep. In hindsight getting more breaks and more rest would have been better for everyone.

I am doing well. Thank you for asking. I do best when I eat fewer fruits and veggies, but that has led to too much weight gain. I still need to avoid wheat/gluten, oats, cornmeal, dairy and red meats as well as a few other things. If I cook for myself I almost never have trouble anymore. However, eating out is still a challenge. I bring my own food to most places, unless I know for sure that it is safe to eat there. I still get a severe reaction to gluten.

It is still a challenge to keep my iron level up with my diet. My energy levels continue to improve but I still am working hard at building a complete diet that has all the nutrients that I need from the foods that I can eat. However, now I am enjoying the challenge of creating meals that I can eat that my family/friends also enjoy.

May you continue to enjoy the new experiences of fatherhood.
02-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #203
David
Co-Founder

Out of curiosity, have you been able to determine which fruits and veggies give you the most trouble and which give you the least?
02-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #204
happy

My Support Groups:
Yup. First of all, I will have less trouble if I eat all of them cooked. Usually I don't eat the peels.

Best: Carrots, pears, fresh peas, bananas, spinach, sweet peppers, onions, garlic, herbs (raw ok), zucchini, apples, blueberries, plums, peaches, red potatoes.

Ok in small amounts: Green beans, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, swiss chard, avocado, citrus fruits (usually only have the juice), cucumber, baby bok choy, lettuce (very small amounts raw; otherwise I cook it), sweet potatoe.

Worst: Corn, Beets, Eggplant, cabbage, kale, pineapple, mango, melon, other berries, turnip.

That's all I can think of.

Why do you ask?
04-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #205
twisters

I just checked out your site and have a couple of questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Why do you not use any other oils besides those listed in your first post? How do you cook scrambled eggs without it sticking to the pan? Thanks
04-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #206
David
Co-Founder

I now use macadamia nut oil as well. But I use very low heat with all my oils.

I don't use other oils because they have low temperatures at which volatile compounds are created and low smoke points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point -- I find myself steaming most of our cooked foods these days. If my wife liked soup (who doesn't like soup?) then MANY of our meals would be soup.

In addition, the oils I list have a good n3-n6 fatty acid ratio whereas traditional oils most use have high amounts of n6 fatty acids and very little n3 fatty acids which is bad.

When I cook scrambled eggs I use a good helping of raw or grass fed butter, melt that, then add the eggs. I do use stainless steel for eggs with wooden implements but never again will I use teflon or like materials.
04-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #207
twisters

Your wife is not the only one not fond of soup. I like thicker stuff, like stew or chile though. Thank you for answering my questions.
04-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #208
edcolumbiaMD
Banned

So I looked on here fast from your first post...on my cell phone
You are allergic or have problems with yeast bakers brewers
Your in the usa have you done the ibd expandwd panel from labcorp???

Kind strange you react to eggs...I bet you react to penicillin? ??
This drug is made from mold/fungus any one who reacts also reacts to eggs

Some of those foods onions etc kill yeast..and are anitfungal
Green apples can be.... garlic is it interests me your post.

Have your ever taken an antifugal drug???many of the things you list (eat) feed yeast
04-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #209
edcolumbiaMD
Banned

Have you looked at doug kauffmanns phase 1 and 2 diets your reactive to yeast
He is the go to guy on this www.knowthecause.com poke around he has alot on colitis his videos
Look into his book..
04-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #210
edcolumbiaMD
Banned

good link on doug kauffmann please take some time and watch this.... I found this after mine got better and alot of what he says makes sense and matched what ive found in my enterolab results great plains results.... elisa act bio .... Ibd expaneded panel etc
http://www.knowthecause.com/index.ph...s-link-stomach

many of the things people complain about on here ...loss of memory... sinus , joint pain etc etc

looking at Cat a tonc posts..... are symptoms of fungus.. yeah you have gut problems but why all these other issues ???

ASCA = bakers beer yeast AMCA = canidida
DO the lab corp test -- IBD EXPANDED PANEL do the great plains tests OAT and comp stool it will really get your brain thinking..... or try dougs phase 1 above for a month ortwo...

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis