Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Will I ever feel normal again

01-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #301
annawato

My Support Groups:
My stitches came out by themselves however I now have a 'crater' around my stoma. Not too painful and not getting bigger so I'm assuming it will heal in time. It bleeds a bit but I think all new stomas bleed around the edges a bit. Has anyone else had this happen and do you think its ok to leave it and wait and see what happens?
01-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #302
Susan2

My Support Groups:
As long as it looks clean, it should be okay. If there is any sign of infection, then do something about it. You might find that it bleeds a little around the edges of your stoma from time to time even when it is fully healed. Mine does, if I rub a bit hard when washing it.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #303
annawato

My Support Groups:
It sometimes looks a bit pus'sy but could be just mucus. Although not sure where that would be coming from - maybe a few drops of betadine (with clenched teeth) will do the trick......
01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #304
maimmie

My Support Groups:
I'm about to try eating fish and chips for the first time since surgery. Besides the fact that fish makes output smell very bad do I have any reason to be cautious or worried? I'm drinking some cranberry juice right now because I believe I read on here that helps with smell.
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #305
KazT17

Haven't read this thread properly but just thought I'd mention the coloplast brava lubricating deodorant. Has anyone tried this? I think it's fab for reducing the smell. It comes in sachets or a large bottle. Sachets are great for sticking in your handbag. Easy to use too xxx

Crohn's diagnosed 2010
Ileostomy 2011.
Completion Proctectomy 2012
01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #306
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

Haven't read this thread properly but just thought I'd mention the coloplast brava lubricating deodorant. Has anyone tried this? I think it's fab for reducing the smell. It comes in sachets or a large bottle. Sachets are great for sticking in your handbag. Easy to use too xxx

The other one I know of is called M9 and it's made by Hollister. Just put a few drops into the bag. It works very well and the tube that it comes in is very small, so easy to take with you.

The cranberry juice idea probably came from me. There are probably some things it doesn't do work so well with, but it seemed to work pretty good when I tired it. The M9 is cheap enough, and easy to carry with you so you might find that more convenient.

Ulcerative Colitis 1986
Complete Proctocolectomy with j-pouch 1987
Permanent Ileostomy 1991
Crohn's Disease (just inside stoma) 2012
No meds post 1987 surgery to 2012

Current Meds:
Pentasa 3000mg daily
Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg daily
Folic Acid supplement: 1mg daily
Mulit Vitamin/Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil daily
Tumeric and Boswelia occasionally.
01-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #307
maimmie

My Support Groups:
Ok help! I'm having a ton of complete liquid out put. Like water. I keep getting up and emptying my bag and its filling back up with fluid pretty fast. What the heck is going on?
01-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #308
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Did you have the fish and chips? I will say whenever I eat anything with vinegar that is what happens to me.

If you have powerade or gatorade at hand drink some of that. Also, now would be a good time to hit the immodium. Sounds like you are definetely experiencing a very unhappy small bowel.

If you keep up this type of output for too long, get yourself to Dr or hospital for fluids Amy.
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
01-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #309
maimmie

My Support Groups:
I did eat the fish and chips but no vinegar. It's 3:20am and this started when I went to bed about 9. My output is usually pretty thick and gooey but this is basically light brown water. Could it just be from the fish and chips? I'm drinking gatoraid and took an imodium when it started at 9 and another one just a few minutes ago. How long before I should go to a hospital?
01-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #310
Susan2

My Support Groups:
See if the second Immodium helps. As long as you can take in liquid at the other end, I wouldn't get too panicky. My personal rule is to go to hospital as an emergency if I have had running diarrhoea and vomitting for 12 hours.

You might be having a reaction to the grease in the f&c.
01-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #311
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
If two immodiums dont do it, try 2 more. If you feel lightheaded, dizzy, or 'out of it' then get to the hospital. But as long as you are keeping hydrated, we hope that wont happen.

Do you have a banana there? That would help as well, for potassium and to slow it down.

I do think it was the fish and chips. Clearly your intestines dont like them! We all have different things that just set our bowels off, and you've discovered one of yours.

Amy, I have to say, sometimes these things just happen as well, and there isnt any one thing that sets it off. We all go through it unfortunately.
01-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #312
maimmie

My Support Groups:
My stomach not liking fish and chips makes me a bit sad. But thanks guys. I hope this does stop soon so I can get some sleep
01-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #313
maimmie

My Support Groups:
Oh and I don't have a banana. I hate them anyway. Anything else that might help?
01-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #314
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Quite right, T-nut, many of us live with not knowing what will/has set it off, even after years and years of living with it. Just another of the joys of Crohn's!
01-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #315
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Oh and I don't have a banana. I hate them anyway. Anything else that might help?
Marshmallows? Potato Chips?
01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #316
maimmie

My Support Groups:
Alright! Good to have an excuse to eat junk at 4am I guess. I ate a peanut butter cookies awhile ago because I read pb thickens output but maybe not in cookie form.
01-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #317
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Peanut butter on potato chips perhaps!

I love peanut butter on fresh white bread (with salt!)
01-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #318
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cheesecake helps
01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #319
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Rice, pasta, cheese jelly babies all work for me at times. I love cola but it comes straight out as brown liquid when I drink it. Grab yourself a sports drink if you can to get some electrolytes back into you. Next time you have fish a nod chips you might be fine. Don't rule it out until your Stoma has started settling down.
Let us know what you find works with you. I've been known to whip up a batch of rice pudding (rice milk and sugar) in the oven. Rice really thickens me up.
Jano.

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #320
maimmie

My Support Groups:
If only I had cheese cake right now! I think its getting better. I had a few handfuls of mini marshmallows and a half pb sandwich. I'm eating cheerios now. Been drinking gatoraid all night. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen the red flavour though. My output is now red.
I need to shop so I don't have a lot of different options at the moment. I'll have to remember to stock up on all the thickening foods.
01-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #321
annawato

My Support Groups:
Apples, peeled are great for thickening or apple sauce. Any soluble fibre foods, within reason (ie not prunes) will help. Porridge (oatmeal) is another good one. Google soluble fibre foods for more ideas.
01-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #322
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
And of cheescake! But Psyllium Husk is very helpful for me. It is soluble fiber, and it comes in caplets, or powder.
01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #323
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

My stitches came out by themselves however I now have a 'crater' around my stoma. Not too painful and not getting bigger so I'm assuming it will heal in time. It bleeds a bit but I think all new stomas bleed around the edges a bit. Has anyone else had this happen and do you think its ok to leave it and wait and see what happens?
I'm sorry, I missed your post in all the talk about food!
Assuming I'm reading you right, I had this happen too. In my case it was so insanely painful, but I think I'm just a bit special. It's nothing to worry about and pretty common, but they can get infected if stool get in them, which is what happened to me.

My original stoma nurse was rubbish and didn't have much advice, but I now have a wonderful new stoma nurse and she has sorted it out. She said to clean out the "trench" (maybe use a cotton wool bud), puff some orahesive powder in, then apply some convatec orabase paste (squidge it right into the gaps using a little nozzle or syringe), finally I apply a hollister adapt barrier ring over the area. All this should help it to heal from the inside out, it might take a couple of weeks but it will get there. One of mine is completely healed and the other, which was really deep and super painful is getting there!

I had a thread on it called "mucocutaneous separation" which is what it's called. Hope some of this helps!

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
01-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #324
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

P.s. I HAVE to get some cheesecake now I know I should eat it for medical reasons!!
01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #325
bigtruck

Another source of soluble fiber is methylcellulose it works in the same way as psyllium husks but doesn't ferment in the gut like psyllium does therefore isn't as likely to cause wind etc.
01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #326
katiesue1506

I take the generic Benefiber equivalent and it helps. It's made of wheat dextrin so if you have no wheat allergies it should also help (less gas as well)
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #327
maimmie

My Support Groups:
Question, do you wear the bag tucked into your pants? I know lots of people do but I can't seem to get comfortable with it. I feel like I'm constricting the bag and trapping the output in the top.
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #328
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

Question, do you wear the bag tucked into your pants? I know lots of people do but I can't seem to get comfortable with it. I feel like I'm constricting the bag and trapping the output in the top.

For me(n), it's best in between undershorts and pants. I don't like it too tight because then I get afraid the output gets bunched up at the top of pouch and then leaks.
01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #329
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I tuck it in my underwear yes. If I have a leak (saints forbid) it's caught...so to speak.

It doesnt seem to constrict the stoma. Then again, I try not to wear anything tight anyway. Most every time I've had a problem, it's been due to squashing Stan (even slightly) and he gets MOST displeased. Which is why I can't wear any of the control garments they try to push on me for my hernia. (damnit)
01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #330
maimmie

My Support Groups:
That exactly what I'm worried about. But doesn't the waist band of your pants do the same thing? I've been wearing mine over my pants and just putting on a long tank top under all my shirts. But I figure at some point I may want different options. I'd like to get one of the ostomysecret bands to wear to support it but I still worry about squishing the bag too much.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Will I ever feel normal again