Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Will I ever feel normal again

12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #61
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Good luck tomorrow! Try not to worry too much, sounds like you're in good hands...and like 2thFairy said, you're pretty well informed about what could happen so you can deal with it. When I had my surgery it was an emergency and I didn't even know what a stoma was till I had one...and I turned out pretty good...lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #62
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi my surgery saved my life my bowel perforated and wasn't doing me any favours what so ever. I basically lived in the bathroom. I didn't realise how ill i was at first i didn't want it and surgeons only told my parents that it was too save my life. i was in such a state as it was without being told that. i found out the next day. It took me three months to recover and three months before I could do anything for myself I was so weak and I needed to build up strength. The pain was there for three and a half months. Was the worst thing I have had to go through but it's all worth it in the end I feel great now it's changed my life for the better. Thinking of you hope it goes well xx
12-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #63
maimmie

My Support Groups:
LOL post it note on my butt! Might not be a bad idea. Did I mention how glad I am you guys are all here?
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #64
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh I forgot to say I've got my 2nd op in may ;( so know exactly how you are feeling I don't want this one either;( keep us posted x
12-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #65
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thinking of you Maimmie. Hope you don't have to resort to the post it note, but then again at least he will see it and remember you.

Hope things went perfectly.

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
12-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #66
annawato

My Support Groups:
Amy, I hope your surgery went well as I'm sure it did. I know you won't feel like posting for a few days at least but when you do we can compare notes. i got my ileo on 23 Nov and have been home for a week now. Still recovering but so nice to be home. Anyway I'm thinking of you and hoping these next few day aren't too horrendous and even if they are it will be worth it once you regain your energy and life and get rid of those darned fistulas. All the best.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
12-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #67
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Good luck today, maimmie. Thinking of you and sending you lots of good energy!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
12-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #68
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I had somethimg special that I wanted the surgeon to do when I had my proctocolectomy (tell you about it later ) and all the way down the corridor on the way to the operating theatre I kept reminding the registrar, who was accompanying me, "Don't let him forget what he promised to do". And they tell me that the first thing that I said, when coming out of the anaesthetic was "Did he do...?
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #69
Nitaboo313

I just had my ilestomy surgery on December 11. Scheduled to be reversed in 3 months.I was finally sick of being in pain, multiple hospital admissions, and not being able to enjoy my husband and child. I have not had one crohns pain since the surgery. The incisions are still sore. Getting use to the bag is a big adjustment and finding the right appliance can be frustrating. I have an ostomy nurse visiting me twice a week which is helpful. I had my first leak two days ago while sleeping, not fun! I'm sure once I get the hang of it, I will be fine. It's only been a week so I still have a long way to go. You will be fine after surgery. The key is to stay positive and realize this surgery will give you your life back! I also found it helpful to name my stoma "Stella" because she's. gonna give me my groove back (The Angela Bassett movie)! Lol. Good luck with surgery...
12-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #70
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum Nitaboo313!
12-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #71
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Welcome Nita and Stella! You go girl!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
12-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #72
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Hi Nita and welcome.

Sounds like you have a good attitude and will work to get the best from your new situation.
12-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #73
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Oh, and maimmie....enjoy the happy drugs while you can. You may not need them, but enjoy them anyway. HAHAHA!!!
12-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #74
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Oh, and maimmie....enjoy the happy drugs while you can. You may not need them, but enjoy them anyway. HAHAHA!!!
Amen!
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #75
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

And if you don't need them, save some for me.

Ulcerative Colitis 1986
Complete Proctocolectomy with j-pouch 1987
Permanent Ileostomy 1991
Crohn's Disease (just inside stoma) 2012
No meds post 1987 surgery to 2012

Current Meds:
Pentasa 3000mg daily
Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg daily
Folic Acid supplement: 1mg daily
Mulit Vitamin/Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil daily
Tumeric and Boswelia occasionally.
12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #76
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

I just had my ilestomy surgery on December 11. Scheduled to be reversed in 3 months.I was finally sick of being in pain, multiple hospital admissions, and not being able to enjoy my husband and child. I have not had one crohns pain since the surgery. The incisions are still sore. Getting use to the bag is a big adjustment and finding the right appliance can be frustrating. I have an ostomy nurse visiting me twice a week which is helpful. I had my first leak two days ago while sleeping, not fun! I'm sure once I get the hang of it, I will be fine. It's only been a week so I still have a long way to go. You will be fine after surgery. The key is to stay positive and realize this surgery will give you your life back! I also found it helpful to name my stoma "Stella" because she's. gonna give me my groove back (The Angela Bassett movie)! Lol. Good luck with surgery...

You have a wonderful attitude! You'll be fine, so I won't wish you any "luck".
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #77
carey965

Just so you guys know i am Amy's husband and she is out
Didnt go as smooth as hoped but the doctor seems to be positive so heres hoping we can look forward to good health for a change
12-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #78
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update!!! Give her lots of gentle hugs for us when she is more awake.
12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #79
carey965

She is in a bit of a delotted coma right now. But i will let her know your thinking of her
12-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #80
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Thank you so much for letting us know. We're all rooting for her here!
12-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #81
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update and keep us updated on her progress
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #82
maimmie

My Support Groups:
Well yep I'm still alive. Enjoying my drugs! My biggest complaint at the moment is how freaking hot it is in here! I'm a puddle of sweat! Thank you all for your amazing support. Will post more when my energy is up more.
12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #83
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
It's so good to hear from you and that you are doing relatively well thus far. Big hugs to you and to your husband for letting us know how you were getting on yesterday!
12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #84
maimmie

My Support Groups:
Nitaboo313, I was thinking of calling my stoma Stella as well. I dunno, for some reason I think its a girl.
P.S. I'm already having some lovely output. That's pretty good right?
12-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #85
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Excellent! I didn't have output for 3 days and it did cause a problem, so yes, that is good!!
12-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #86
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Great news that it's working already! My bowels are "lazy" after surgery. I think you are doing amazingly well so far!

Enjoy those drugs darlin! So good to hear from you!!!
12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #87
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear from you and that your stoma's working already! Mine was stubborn and didn't do anything for 4 days...little bugger...lol
12-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #88
CheerBear12
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Enjoy the drugs! And glad your stoma is working already mine took a couple of days too start working.
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #89
Nitaboo313

Amy,

That's great that you are having output already! That means you will be home in no time. Mines started working the second day after my surgery. I only spent 4 days in the hospital, they kicked me out because I was doing so well. Stella is a great name and believe it or not naming it makes it easier easier to talk about. I finally put of regular cloths yesterday and made a trip to the grocery store with hubby. I was surprised my ostomy bag wasn't showing at all. It made me feel good. I had another leak last night, but I caught it and changed everything before a mess! I think I have to switch appliciances. Currently using Convatec modable, hollister adapt barrier ring, holister adhesive remover, barrier wipes and a little Convatec paste. Hopefully I find something that works soon. My stoma only leaks on one side, where my incision is. I think the problem is that the wafer has to go over the incisions. Maybe it will be better once it heals. So glad you are doing good........

Nita
12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #90
JoFowler

My Support Groups:
Amy, thinking of you and hope everything went well!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Will I ever feel normal again