• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colostomy reversal may not be possible

I just got back from UK medical ctr.and the news is not that good.I am desperate for a colostomy reversal and it may not be possible because the radiation did so much damage, The surgeon told me it is a very complicated situation due to the crohn;s,past fistulas and abscesses and the anal cancer.I am going back to UK on December 3rd so she can do a colonoscopy and scope my stoma in the OR where they are putting me to sleep to see what, if anything, they have to work with.She also told me that if the reversal is out of the question she will do another colostomy revision because no one should have to live this way,which I am very thankful for.I just pray a reversal is possible.Fingers crossed!:

Terriernut

Debbie, a revision so you dont have to live like you have been would be a blessing. I hope they are able to do a reversal on you if that is what you desire. But if they cant, at least you will be able to get out and live life like you wish. I cant understand why they didnt do a revision of your stoma before this!
:kiss:

Man... I know you are really counting on reversal, but if they can't do it, I hope they do that revision and do it quick!!

I do hope that, one way or the other, they can make life better for you, Debbie. It would be good if they can give you some definite answers after your exploratory on December 3rd so that, between you and the medicos, a decision can be made and action taken promptly. We'll all be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way. :hug:

I can't have a reversal,in fact I have to have a proctocolectomy and ileostomy on Feb.7th.My original surgeon was not as great a surgeon as he thought he was.My new surgeon at U.K. said my insides are wrecked and everything needs to come out asap.She told me there was no way he didn't see all the damage when he did my last colonoscopy after the chemo and radiation.Her exact words were that this colostomy was crap and would never function properly,it would only make me sicker and sicker.I really hope this works.

Terriernut

Debbie, I know you must be very upset and frightened right now. It is my hope that once you have healed from the surgery this week (be patient it takes a while) that you are able to live a long and happy life. You so deserve to have a full and healthy life after all you've been through!
:hug:

annawato

Staff member
:goodluck: with everything Debbie. Hopefully this surgery will make life a lot easier. Sounds like you have a good surgeon this time.
:heart: Anna