• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade loss of memory

A little background I was diagnosed with UC roughly 8 years ago, probably had it longer, but powered through it till 8 years ago. I wouldn't say that I've ever had really bad flareups throughout that time, usually once every 2 years and through those 8 years Prednisone took care of it.

Last year I had a flareup and nothing could control it. Spent about a week in the hospital (turns out I also had an infection due to the constant loss of blood) and it was decided that I go on Remicade.

I've been on Remicade for a year now and have had very good success with my symptoms. I had another "flare" about a month ago, but it was nothing like before Remicade. Mostly bloating, very gassy, some pain, but absolutely no blood. My concern though is since I've been on Remicade it seems like I'm loosing some of my brain functions. I'm an Engineer for a living and my brain is my job, since last year when I started Remicade I've been steadily becoming less confident in my judgements and more forgetful (not that I've always had a good memory, but I could always figure things out quickly). At first I thought it may have just been stress, but it's continuing to the point where I've been second guessing myself a lot lately because I keep making simple mistakes.

Has anyone else experienced any loss of brain function when on Remicade? I've read that there are some neurological side effects to Remicade, but mostly directed to causes of MS. I don't think I have that, but just forgetful.

Mark, welcome to the forum, you may want to check out this thread (<---click this)as they are discussing that very thing right now.

hope not.
lots of things can cause what your talking about. dehydration, lack of nutrients lack of sleep. you should bring yourself to your gp to get your blood checked.
ju