• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here, But Lots To Share, and Learn

hi all, im new here, but I have a huge story to share. I can't start to share right this minute, I'm at a deer lease with limited signal not to mention typing on a cell phone. I do have a question. My crohns is different than others and hope to find answers here. Instead of having diarrhea I get blocked up. and that's when my problems start.i can't follow the high fiber thing, I'm so back wards in my war with this awful disease. im having issues right now since friday.i have tried anything I can think of and nothing is moving.if any of you have this problem, please share with me your remedies.

Welcome to the Forum Patty girl. I to suffer more with blockages and constipation then I do with the big D. When I start to feel these blockages come on I go right to a liquid diet for a few days. If things get feeling a little better I will then go to a soft diet of eggs and soups. My wife also gets me a bottle of Mona-Vie which I take 2 shot glasses each day for about a week. This seems to help a lot and its all natural. She also gets me a EMV power drink each day to keep up my energy. It also is all natural and made by Mona-Vie. It seems to work for me. Its a little pricey but if it works I use it. And it doesn't taste bad.
Good luck

Welcome Pattygirl!! :)

I have the issue of constipation as well. I find running helps alot.. or if im really bloated or feeling lazy, i will walk up my stairs or do some light yoga.
I also find taking a hott bath helps.
If im really sore and backed up, I will put a teaspoon of Miralax in some water.

Hope that helps!

David

Co-Founder
HI Patty and welcome :)

Are you on any medications? When was the last time they did a colonoscopy or imaging studies to evaluate the extent of your disease?

Have you always been constipated with your Crohn's or is this a new occurrence?

All my best to you.

Hi Patty Girl
I suffered constipation much of my life,however once diagnosed with crohns i had a very short time on steroids and imuran - b4 they discovered an abscess in my pelvis, which had me hospitalised to percutaneously drain it (it was in an awkward spot) - within 2 weeks of this i ended up having my first bowel resection to one of the worse cases of Crohn's my Gastro and colorectal surgeon had seen - i even have photos they sent my phone. Subsequently i had an ileostomy reversal 6mths later - which too resulted in another resection while they were in there........then once again another resection a month later........(both the latter ops were due to total SBO's)....... but now i have NO constipation i have the diarrohea - seriously i dont know what was worse...........although thankfully no flares / pain for 12mths now!

wishing you all the best - and fingers crossed you can maintain ur crohns with minimal pain / complications.
Cheers
:)

Last edited:

annawato

Staff member
Hi Pattygirl, welcome to the forum. Over the years I have suffered from constipation and I think it was caused by my bowel being narrowed by scarring and inflammation so slowing down movement thru the bowel which means more liquid is absorbed from the poo and so causing constipation. Once I had a resection I had the opposite problem. David asked about your last colonoscopy and imaging which would show if the constipation is caused by problems caused by crohn's. Also, pain medications with codeine or oxycodone will cause constipation and i'm sure other meds could too. Other than that, increasing soluble fibre in your diet can help or using a product like Metamucil (australian brand) which bulks up the stool so that it moves along the bowel more easily. Hope this or someone else's suggestions help,

Hey Patty,
Welcome to the crohnie community! We're excited you've found us. My constipation was undiagnosed IBD for 29 years and let me tell you its tough. I'm now D bound, but that's ok. Anyway, for daily use my GI put me on miralax®, docusate sodium ( a softener) will help too if taken a few days a week in addition to miralax®. But if you feel too backed up, the safest most effective way to go without using harsh stimulants is Magnesium Citrate®. It comes in a clear glass bottle of 30 ml's and you only need take 10-15 ml's ( unless prepping for colonoscopy, dependant on dr.) And it will get ya going so the miralax® can keep you somewhat on track. I do hope you find some relief soon. Best wishes!! - hugs-