• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antioxidant N-acetyl cysteine reduces incidence and multiplicity of lymphoma in Atm deficient mice.

kiny

I think this is interesting

Antioxidant N-acetyl cysteine reduces incidence and multiplicity of lymphoma in Atm deficient mice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16781197

Reliene R, Schiestl RH.

Department of Pathology, Geffen School of Medicine and School of Public Health, UCLA, 650 Charles E. Young Drive South, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA.
Abstract

Hereditary human disorder ataxia telangiectasia (AT) is characterized by an extremely high incidence of lymphoid malignancies, neuromotor dysfunction, immunodeficiency and radiosensitivity. Cells from AT patients show genetic instability and a continuous state of oxidative stress. We examined the effect of long-term dietary supplementation with the thiol-containing antioxidant, N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC), on survival and cancer formation in Atm (AT-mutated) deficient mice, used as an animal model of AT. NAC was chosen because it is well-tolerated in animals and humans. It can be used by the oral route and for long-term at high concentrations. In addition, NAC suppresses carcinogenesis-associated biological markers in Atm deficient mice, such as DNA deletions and oxidative DNA damage (R. Reliene, E. Fischer, R.H. Schiestl, Effect of N-acetyl cysteine on oxidative DNA damage and the frequency of DNA deletions in atm-deficient mice, Cancer Res. 64 (2004) 5148-5153). In this study, NAC significantly increased the lifespan and reduced both the incidence and multiplicity of lymphoma in Atm deficient mice. The life span increased from 50 to 68 weeks and the incidence of lymphoma decreased by two-fold (76.5% versus 37.5%). Moreover, in mice with lymphoma, multiplicity of tumors decreased from 4.6 to 2.8 tumors per mouse. Thus, dietary supplementation with NAC may turn out to be protective against lymphomagenesis in AT patients.

kiny

NAC is the bioavailable precursor of glutathione, together with a bunch of other micronutrients, vitamin c, selenium I think, zinc I think too, and a few others, but NAC plays the pivotal role in glutathione increase

they did tests with glutathione first in some studies, but the molecules aren't very bioavailable, NAC is

I take NAC every day, it's very helpful, glutathione is very anti inflammatory at a cellular level, so I dare say that it'd be helpful for lots of conditions

How much do you take? I took 600mg today.
Soz for the slow reply, I'm not sure how much I take, I take a product called cell gevity, it's a glutathione supplement (has all the precursors to make glutathione) I'll check the box next time. It has all sorts of other helpful things in it like milk thistle extract which is great at protecting the liver.