• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

43 years with Crohn's

I began having symptoms in 1969 I was 36 yrs.old. I accused my daughters of not getting soap of dishes but by 1971 both were married and away from home Still had diarrhea 1978 I was diagnosed with Crohn's desease and was put on sulphasalazine.1089 we moved and new Doctor pu me on asacol 1600MG 3 times a day. moved again in 2002, and in 2007 new Dr. added axathioprine. after recent colonoscopy I experienced a bad flaiup and npw He would like me to try HUMIRA, can anyone out there tell me there experience with this drug. It seems to have an awful lot of bad side effects . thanks in advance. Mike

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Waytogo
Welcome to the forum.
There is a Humira subforum that you may find helpful where fellow crohnies relate their experiences.
I have no experience with this biological, but I will shortly be receiving treatment with Remicade., also a biological.
The modern treatments now start with biologicals sometimes coupled with imuran but not always.
There are negative reports about both of these but the good outweighs the bad and the crohn's can swiftly respond in days and weeks.
All drugs can have side effects but these are usually in the minority.
If there is a reaction the drug is stopped, so its worth a try imo.
Take a look around this website, I think you will find lots of helpful information.
I am sure there will soon be others along responding to your query.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I have been on it for about a year. I've had good success with it. My svope showed my inflamtion was redcued greatly. I also take lialda, same basic drug as asacol. I have kids who are elementary aged. They get sick often. I have not been sick really, even being around them all sniffly. I work in HVAC and I work with my hands and get really dirty. Breathe lots of nasty dust from duct work and get nasty filth water all over my hands, which usually have some sort of cut on them. I have not gotten sick. I'm not saying that because of this you have nothing to worry about. This disease is a little different for eberyone. But in my case my immune system seems to still function pretty good. I'd say try it out. The shots are a pain. I use the pens and it's really just about 5 seconds of discomfort and it's done.

I havent tried Humira but I am on remicade which when combined with Lialda and prednisone has helped dramatically so far. Had my second infusion today and most of the really bad symptoms have been gone for about a month now. Tried to reduce the prednisone once so far and was back on it after a week of returning symptoms. My Dr. had given me the option of humira or remicade and after so internet searching and sleepless nights, I took the remicade. There are side effects with most of these drugs. I think you just have to weight the symptoms you are experiencing vs the side effects from the drugs. Good luck with your decision.