• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do I or Don't?

A

ANHammons

My story is a little different from everyone's and I hope I can get some answers or similar experiences on here. I have not had any symptoms of Crohn's other than a chronic anal fissure. I have had it since Feb of this year (I figured it was a hemorrhoid or something, so I didn't really go to the doctor about it, I wish I would have went months ago so I wouldn't have to go through all this now). There is nothing really odd coming out of it and it sort of has a sentinel tag on it, looks like it has been trying to heal. I never have diarrhea, cramps, and I am rarely constipated. I went to a GI doctor and he immediately decided to have a colonoscopy without looking at it or anything. I was stunned, and thought a colonoscopy was overkill. I scheduled an apt. with my GYN to look at it and he agreed that maybe it was just a tear from constipation at one point but I should have the colonoscopy to rule out Crohn's. Okay, I have a SERIOUS anxiety problem and I have been so depressed lately to the point I can barely function. I have been obsessed with the idea of having Crohn's and having an overwhelming fear of it. Long story short I am going to a different doctor next week (at the hospital I work at, for insurance reasons) to see what he wants me to do. I'm sure he'll just send me for a colonoscopy which will be scheduled weeks from now. I am trying so hard to find some comfort in any information I can find but I guess I just have to deal with this right now. If anyone has been diagnosed/or heard of anyone being diagnosed with my same predicament please give me some information and thank you for your time.

Hiya Hammons,

I don't think anyone on here can really answer your question about whether you have Crohn's or not. But if your Doc thinks the hole in your butt is a fistula, I'd take him seriously. Piles do not look like fistuas, so I'm sure your Doc knows what he's doing.

If it is a fistuala, you need to get rid of it, and you can't do that by doing nothing. He's doing all the right things for you.

I know if you read some of our threads in here, Crohn's can seem like a life sentence of hard labour. But don't fret if you are diagnosed. We all cope, some better than others granted, but we all cope. You didn't say what age you are, and I've found that the younger you are, the better you cope when your diagnosed.

Good luck with your Doc appointments.

hi there, and welcome to the forum.

i can certainly see where you're coming from, in that you've shown no digestive or other usual signs of Crohns.. so yes it may feel like overkill, going through the colonoscopy. but - the medics have to rule it out, fistulas being one of the typical complications of Crohns.

we have all had our own fear patches of time... either worrying that it is Crohns, or worry that it isn't and could be something worse.... i know in my own case i was actually relieved to get the diagnosis after years of suffering with no help.

this may be easier to say than do, but i'd try to just calm down - you are being given really good care & attention by your team, and if it does turn out to be Crohns, it sounds very mild. and life can still be ok, with Crohns.

good luck! please keep us posted.

A

ANHammons

I'm 23 years old. I don't exactly have a fistula but more of a fissure that is in the posterior midline, kind of like tearing in constipation. I'm really worried to the point that I can't hardly do anything but I suppose I will survive. Thanks for the replies and support.

It does no harm to get the colonoscopy anyway... and the lovely drink they give you for the night before is better than any colonic irrigation you'd pay £100's ($)for!!!!

T

teamgo

Sorry you are going through this. A colonoscopy might not be a bad idea since it will more likely than the other tests result in a diagnosis. The procedure of the colonoscopy itself is not that bad, and it is worth a bit of temporary discomfort to get an answer. Honestly, I wish my doctors had jumped to the point and just ordered a colonoscopy when I was younger, b/c I would've been able to avoid the barium enima, upper GI, tag white blood cell and other tests that aren't fun. If you don't have Chron's, the peace of mind might be nice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Might as well "Bite the Bullet" and go for the colonoscopy. It is one of the best diagnostic procedures for this type of problem.

It is not that bad of a procedure. The prep is not much fun, but neither is not knowing what the problem is.

Dan

I know how you feel ANHammons. I don't really have the "classic" symptoms of Crohn's either. I'm also waiting for answers. My colonoscopy is finished already, so I'm a little ahead of you, but I can tell you that the actual procedure itself isn't so bad. You don't remember it at all. Now the night before when you do the prep..........totally different story, but you'll make it through - if only because you have to. I don't swallow things well, so it was particularly difficult for me, but if you can chug no matter what - you'll do fine.

Try not to get yourself worked up too much, it'll only make things worse. I know, easier said than done. I should also practice what I'm preaching too. I had an appt. for next Friday, but changed it to MOnday so I didn't have to drive myself crazy anymore!