• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mia's Story with Crohn's

Diagnosed with Crohn's from age 9

Hello everyone!

I am a 17 year old girl living in Leeds. Experienced 8 years of having Crohn's I can say I have had on and off moments but one thing is for sure I have become a much tougher girl from Crohn's. I have had some traumatic times but I am here to share my story.

I was a young, innocent little girl when I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was too young to really understood what that meant. All I knew was I was ill, very ill. I had symptoms of blood in my stools, severe weight loss, tiredness and fatigue. My parents knew that something was wrong so I had some blood tests and scans and what have you and was diagnosed with Crohn's. Shortly after I was extremely malnourished and went on a naso-gastric tube in which I couldn't eat for 6 weeks and was on the elemental 028 diet. 6 Weeks of confusion, worry and fear it was but it cured me. I was a new girl after that! I was put on mezalazine, Iron and Calcium Carbonate (which to this day I am still on.)

Between this time of recovery and 2010 my life seemed to be ok. I had a few flareups between but these were dealt with by steroids. It was getting to the point where the doctor didn't want me on steroids on me all the time as they were stunting my growth. I can't remember when I went on methotrexate but i am still on it now and it has really helped.

Things took a turn for the worse in 2010 when I was 14 years of age. I became very very ill. I wasn't digesting my food very well at all, had really bad stomache cramps, headaches, tiredness, weight loss and I was really unwell. I had NO OTHER OPTION other than to go on the tube, again. :(

14 years of age, terrified, too ill to even refuse, eyes full of sadness, heart full of hope I came into hospital. I had my own room as I am on private health care which really helped. I think this had to be the darkest part of my life. I knew that it was sink or swim. Luckily I have a wonderful family that saw me through these 8 or 9 weeks of hell. I was in hospital on my own for 1 week before I could go home. My parents and family visited daily but those 6 nights were the scariest, loneliest, saddest, darkest nights I have ever encountered. I made a successful recovery however. I quickly increased my weight.

2 years on I am on tablets still and one-two elemental drinks every day.

I have had some really bad moments in life but I have had good too. If I can go through this horrible illness and come out stronger on the other side so can you.

I have had a couple of minor flare ups but I have learnt to live life to the full, be as positive as I can be, deal with things when they come.

I am now studying History, Psychology, English Language at A Level I am on top form, have a gorgeous size 10 figure, have meat on my bones and rosy cheeks!! A levels have proven to be difficult but I am sure as hell going to give them my best shot and I refuse to let Crohn's get in the way of me living my life and it won't stop me from following my dreams!

I hope you enjoyed my story and I would love it if you let me know about your experiences.
Also if you are having a tough time, I know how it feels and am here to try and help!

Mia xxx:smile:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am sorry to hear that you have had to go through so much with this disease, I take it things are completely settled on the MTX? We do have a sub forum for this med if you would like to have a chat with others who are on this: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88. What dosage are you on for this?

Wishing you lots of luck with your studies hun!

AB
xx

SarahBear

Hi, Mia! Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad things turned around for you and you're doing so well now. It's great that you're doing so well with your studies! You must be very proud of yourself to have overcome such obstacles.

Hoping things continue to go well for you! :hug: