Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » What is proctitis? Same as UC?

12-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
had_enough1980uk

What is proctitis? Same as UC?

I got a colonoscopy today and the diagnosis was "proctitis". The nurse on the phone said it was more than likely UC. Has anyone got any experience with proctitis?
12-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
DS has proctitis among other areas of crohn's disease.
He is inflamed from esophagus to rectum so it can be crohn's related, UC related or a disease all on its own.
Basically it means your rectum is inflamed.

your doc -GI can describe the best course of action for you depending on what he saw/biopsy results.
There are foam enemas, suppositories , 5-ASA's ( Asacol-DS takes) depending on your history.

Proctitis is inflammation of the lining of the rectum, called the rectal mucosa. Proctitis can be short term (acute) or long term (chronic). Proctitis involves an inflammatory change of the rectum (within 15 cm of the dentate line). Proctitis is similar to proctosigmoiditis but is not necessarily associated with proximal extension of disease into the colon and usually does not evolve into ulcerative colitis. If proximal extension does occur, it usually does so within the first 2 years of initial diagnosis.

Proctitis has many causes. It may be a side effect of medical treatments like radiation therapy or antibiotics. Proctitis caused by sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) is transmitted through receptive anal intercourse and is most commonly due to gonorrhea and chlamydia, or less commonly lymphogranuloma venereum or herpes virus. Nonsexually transmitted causes include autoimmune disease of the colon, such as Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, chemicals, rectal instrumentation, and trauma to the anorectal area. It may also occur as idiopathic proctitis.
Medication Summary
Drug therapy consists of antibiotics, antivirals, corticosteroids, and GI agents

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/775952-medication
12-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
had_enough1980uk

Thanks for the info :-)

Got the steroids and suppositories today. Haven't taken them yet though.

Got mixed feelings as I don't want to be inserting suppositories everyday of my life :-( but I know steroids have much worse side effects
12-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
hopefully itll not be everyday. when and if you go into remission you shouldn't have to use suppositories.
uc starts and ends in the rectum and its the most difficult to shift.
proctitis is just the area that's inflamed ie the rectum. you also have left sided colitis, proctosigmoiditis(something or another) and pancolitis which means the whole large bowel is infected. some people's uc can spread very quickly so its important to find the right combo of meds. if you feel the suppositories aren't working or are making you worse(yes it can happen) get on to your GI asap cuz theres loads of different drugs out there to try.
its also important to know that proctitis is a form of IBD and just because its limited to the rectum doesn't mean it cant get out of control very quickly.

all the best
ju
12-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

hopefully itll not be everyday. when and if you go into remission you shouldn't have to use suppositories.
uc starts and ends in the rectum and its the most difficult to shift.
proctitis is just the area that's inflamed ie the rectum. you also have left sided colitis, proctosigmoiditis(something or another) and pancolitis which means the whole large bowel is infected. some people's uc can spread very quickly so its important to find the right combo of meds. if you feel the suppositories aren't working or are making you worse(yes it can happen) get on to your GI asap cuz theres loads of different drugs out there to try.
its also important to know that proctitis is a form of IBD and just because its limited to the rectum doesn't mean it cant get out of control very quickly.

all the best
ju

Ditto. My disease started in the rectum and the first doctor I saw just gave me a steriod enema and azulfadine (back in 1986). Three weeks later my sypmtoms were worse and I saw another doctor who then put me on Prednisone. Just over two months after original diagnosis my entire colon and rectum were affected (small intestine was clear). Then 25 years later dx with Crohns, so back then I guess it was Crohns Colitis and not UC but oh well. Definitely want to inform your doctor anytime your symptoms are getting worse!

Ulcerative Colitis 1986
Complete Proctocolectomy with j-pouch 1987
Permanent Ileostomy 1991
Crohn's Disease (just inside stoma) 2012
No meds post 1987 surgery to 2012

Current Meds:
Pentasa 3000mg daily
Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg daily
Folic Acid supplement: 1mg daily
Mulit Vitamin/Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil daily
Tumeric and Boswelia occasionally.
12-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
sneezey

I started with proctitis years ago, a couple of suppositories and it didn't return until 8 years later. I don't know that it's 100% a sure thing that it's related to UC because that's not what I was told initially. However, it can be one sign.
12-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
had_enough1980uk

I started with proctitis years ago, a couple of suppositories and it didn't return until 8 years later. I don't know that it's 100% a sure thing that it's related to UC because that's not what I was told initially. However, it can be one sign.
So are you saying the suppositories are only mean to be used for a short period to see if it works? If its works the odds are I won't have to use them for the rest of the life? It's just to be honest I don't want to start the suppositories to find out they work and then I need to insert everyday for the next 40 years
12-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
sneezey

So are you saying the suppositories are only mean to be used for a short period to see if it works? If its works the odds are I won't have to use them for the rest of the life? It's just to be honest I don't want to start the suppositories to find out they work and then I need to insert everyday for the next 40 years
Suppositories are direct steroid of one variation or another. Definitely not meant for long term usage. I was only on that for maybe a month. If they work for you long term they switch to oral meds. But most people that I know eventually stops working and you're on something else anyway. I don't know many that are on it for more than 2-3 years and that's oral.
12-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Danico85

I have proctitis. Stemmed from my Colitis. My full bowel is clear apart from the last bit at the rectum. This can be so annoying because it can be hard to Do the toilet at times.

Im currently on predfoam, its a foam you spray up your arse twice a day and it works wonders. ill only use it a few weeks and things start improving.

This is my second time using it. If it doesnt clear you will have no choice but to get put orally on pred steroids and you dont want that. the side effects are horrendous.
12-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
had_enough1980uk

I have proctitis. Stemmed from my Colitis. My full bowel is clear apart from the last bit at the rectum. This can be so annoying because it can be hard to Do the toilet at times.

Im currently on predfoam, its a foam you spray up your arse twice a day and it works wonders. ill only use it a few weeks and things start improving.

This is my second time using it. If it doesnt clear you will have no choice but to get put orally on pred steroids and you dont want that. the side effects are horrendous.
What kind of side effects then?

Thanks for the info btw, good to get people's input!
12-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Danico85

The main side effects of pred steroids is putting a ridiculous amount of weight on. i put 2 stone on in 12 weeks and took me forever to loose.

Sweating and shiney moon face aswell lol
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
scottsma

My Support Groups:
I have used supps. for over 6yrs as maintenance,and do ok on them.Only use them at night.Have stopped a few times,just to see what happens,and flare after a few weeks.The supps.usually sort me out quite quickly.
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
had_enough1980uk

I don't know what to do lol
12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
scottsma

My Support Groups:
If in doubt ask.Do you have an I.B.D.nurse you can phone ? If not,go back to the Docs an discuss your concerns with him.You are obviousely not happy with things.The aim is to get on meds that suit you,and work for you.Everyone is different and finding what works is trial and error.This forum is THE BEST,but you can become confused with TOO MUCH advice.Hope you get what suits you soon.
12-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Suppositories are direct steroid of one variation or another. Definitely not meant for long term usage. I was only on that for maybe a month. If they work for you long term they switch to oral meds. But most people that I know eventually stops working and you're on something else anyway. I don't know many that are on it for more than 2-3 years and that's oral.
Not all suppositories for UC are steroids. Mesalamine suppositories are also given long term for UC.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
had_enough1980uk

Not all suppositories for UC are steroids. Mesalamine suppositories are also given long term for UC.
Is pentasa a steroid? That's what I got prescribed
12-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Pentasa is mesalamine, a super hopped up aspirin..non-steroidal. It's the mildest medication used for Crohn's and UC with very little side effects, if any. Most of us here have been on it at some point.
12-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Danico85

i was on pentasa a few months ago. very mild but retained remission. no use when your on a flare.
12-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
had_enough1980uk

I tried it last night and I was worse this morning!!

Is it worth sticking with longer? Next I have been advised to move onto mezavant...
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #20
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Mezavant is the same drug as Pentasa, mesalamine. How long have you been on Pentasa? It takes several weeks to notice improvement if it's in tablet form. Suppositories work much faster. What did you try last night?
12-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Danico85

mezevant is slightly better. im not long off that and im gonna ask to go back onto it. there a bit stronger, prob similar to pentasa but stronger.

if the suppositorys dont work then your next course of action is steroids. you will take them orally. i see your from glasgow so it will be the same as what they put me on. you will take 8 tablets in the morning and do this for about a month, then 7 for a week then 6 and so on.

You will put on weight and you will constantly be hungry. Some ppl like this because they are very thin, but it just gave me excess fat everywhere. Also gave me a big red shiney face. Im hoping i can get rid of my symptoms without using steroids again but may end up out of my hands.

There not the end of the world, they do usually make you better. But just a pain.
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
Danico85

btw im taking colazide just now and there rubbish. ive went backwards since i started taking them. im going to ask to get put back on mezevant or pentasa!
12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
sneezey

Mezavant according to on line sources is the same as the US Asacol, also mesalamine. Basically the exact same thing in the suppositories only in an oral medication. If the suppositories are not working then the oral medication won't work either. It doesn't sound right to me to go from the suppositories to an oral medication of the same thing. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Danico85 is also right - that's perfectly good medication for maintenance. It's not the right thing for a flare.
12-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Danico85

Asacol may be the best solution for you although i dont know if it targets the rectum area as strong as other parts. Asacol was the first meds i took, along with the steroids and that brought me back from Severe inflammation to mild inflammation. Im just struggling to get the inflammation away from my tail end. Thats the hardest part, so i hope a few more weeks of predfoam will sort it.
12-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Topical mesalamine (suppository form) can help when the oral form does not because it is topical. Same drug, but they work differently. Topical can help during an active flare and the oral can help keep things in remission.
12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Danico85

Plus topical gives you limited/no side effects. Bloats you a bit but nothing major
12-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
For me, nothing worked to put me in remission...not even Remicade, but mesalamine suppositories definitely eased the pain. There are also steroid suppositories, mesalamine enemas, steroid enemas and steroid foam that can be used, but generally all of these are paired up with some kind of oral medication.
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #28
had_enough1980uk

It was pentasa in suppository form I took last night.

The nurse said if they don't work to try the mezavant and only take 2 a day...
12-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
Danico85

you do know they do take a couple of weeks to work usually?
12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
had_enough1980uk

you do know they do take a couple of weeks to work usually?
She said to me try the supps for a week and if they don't work try the oral tablets

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ulcerative Colitis Forum » What is proctitis? Same as UC?