• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed And New To The Forum

Hi guys, :)

I hope you're all well and I apologise in advance for the wall of text!

Since I was twelve I had a grumbling appendix once a year. At 17 I finally had appendicitis and had it removed.

Since then I developed different problems with various pains in my bowels, but during one particular painful bout four years ago I visited my doctor here in London. He said the first test would be an ultrasound, but he did everything he could to persuade me not to bother, it was nothing, suggested it was mild IBS, gave me Colfac to treat it and sent me on my way. I completely changed my lifestyle and diet and that seemed to help me a lot.

Two Saturdays ago I collapsed in the cinema and was taken to A&E and have re-visited the hospital 5 times in the last two weeks. Other than the visits to my doctor and the hospital, I've been at home, trying to get on with some work but finding it difficult. My symptoms have been:

Diarrhea – Every time I go to the bathroom I feel like I need to do a number 2, but nothing comes. When it eventually does come roughly once a day it ranges from very small amounts of bright yellow to very dark faeces and from soft/liquid, to solid.

Stomach tenderness

Fever – random episodes with random bouts of sweating.

Exhaustion - Can't work, play computer games or do anything else. The more this illness continues, the harder I'm finding it to rest/sleep. I seem to not have the energy even to rest.

Palpitations – My heart is constantly beating between 90 and 110 BMP although it does occasionally slow back to normal. They've suggested this is anxiety but I'm not hyperventilating so I don't know how they come to this conclusion.

Huge loss of weight of roughly 1 stone (6kgs), which could easily be explained by the lack of food.

Dry skin rash has developed on the back of my left hand in the last week.

Loss of libido and appetite – I'm forcing myself to eat small amounts every 90 minutes but as my body isn't regulating itself like it usually does I'm unsure how much to eat and when. I don't feel as though eating gives me any more energy.

A year ago I had blood in my stool, but I looked it up online and because it was bright red and wasn't dark and sticky, I did nothing about it (since they say that's not cancer) and decided to get on with things. A few weeks ago I had the same again and decided to ignore it again. I've had no blood in my stool at all since my first collapse on the 27th of November 2012.

In my first visit to hospital my blood tests showed elevated white cell counts, nutrifil and eosinophil counts, with low potassium. So they assumed I may have got food poisoning from the hotdog I ate at the cinema. In my most recent visit they gave me the results and all are back to normal.

They've now suggested one of two things: I have 'viral fatigue' and am exhausted after two weeks of being attacked by a virus. Or they say there's a tiny possibility that I have Crohn's disease. They've done an x-ray of my stomach, and said all is fine there. They've tested my stool and say all is fine there. And they say the inflammation markers in my blood results are normal.

So the only way to test for any form of IBD is to have an colonoscopy, which they say will take six weeks to arrange and they're not going to book it until I've had one more blood test.

I'm exhausted beyond any reasonable amount guys. I've been very ill before and never had issues like this. Eating does nothing for me and I even feel as though breathing deeply doesn't get me the oxygen I need. Yet all blood tests say I'm fine. I've been eating freshly-made soup that my girlfriend (who has been AMAZING) has been making for me with veggetables, chicken or turkey – no dairy.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have as to how to move forward and especially how to deal with these symptoms while I wait to have the colonoscopy in possibly 7 weeks time now.

Take care all – I hope you're all well! :D

Welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear you are doing poorly. IBD certainly couldn't be ruled out at this point since nothing else has been definitively diagnosed and you haven't had a scope. It could be IBD or something else but I would keep pushing as long as I was experiencing symptoms.

With some that have IBD they can follow the low residue diet to help relieve symptoms or even enteral nutrition, which is an all liquid diet of products like Boost or Ensure formula, to bring relief and get things under control so may you could look into that while you are waiting for testing. You can click on the highlight links to get more information.

I'm sure other members will be along with more advice. Mainly, as long as you are experiencing symptoms then I would keep pushing for answers. I hope you get some relief soon.

Thank you so much Clash. * hug *

I was so exhausted with this yesterday that I burst into tears for the first time in a decade. My girlfriend was so shocked she cried too because she's seen me ill before and I'm just quiet and get on with things so she knew something was really wrong.

I'm just reading other people's stories on the forum while I wait for more replies from you awesome guys. :)

Thanks again Clash!

My son had the heart palpitations before dx as well as severe fatigue. Have they tested you for iron deficiency anemia? This is what caused the rapid heart rate for my son and some of the fatigue. I do hope you get answers soon!!

Oh yeah so sorry...it is diagnosis! But if your iron levels are low it can cause those symptoms so check into it. I am assuming from your statement about inflammation level in the stool that that test was a Fecal Calprotectin or Fecal Lactoferrin stool test?

Hi Cassius and welcome to the forum. I hope that you get some answers soon. Like Clash said low iron can cause fatigue as well as low potassium which you mentioned. Do you know if they checked your magnesium or b-12? These two are not apart of the regular panels of vitamin test. Did they give you anything for the low levels to get them back to normal?

Also I would like to ask do you have any symptoms after eating the fresh veggie soup? The reason I ask is that fresh vegetables, fruits, and thing high in fiber like bean,nuts, and some breads can cause problems tummy wise for people with CD (Crohn's Disease). Also popcorn is a big problem for a lot of people with IBD. Personally I had a very bad experience with popcorn that almost landed me in the ER (US version) or A&E, I had a lot of stomach pain and vomiting and I use to never have problems with popcorn.

I hope you find relief and some answers soon.

Thanks again Clash!!! :) I'm not sure what exactly they were testing for in my stool sample. They seemed to be under the impression I had food poisoning from the hotdog in the cinema so they were testing for bacteria to see if they were going to put me on antibiotics, but that came back showing no bacterial infection today. So I'm really not sure whether they tested for anything else.

When they mentioned 'inflammation' they were talking about inflammation markers in my blood. I really have no idea what that means but they suggested because of that it's unlikely I have Crohn's.

From the moment this all started they've told me that I'm healthy in terms of my heart, and the rest of my body, and it's not cancer or neurological. Now that my blood is back to normal, I'm still completely exhausted every day. I could explain to you just how exhausted I am, but I don't want to shock or upset anyone here. I've lost so much weight it's truly frightening. And I have no idea what else to think it is.

Thank you so much Earnellzwifey. * hug *
I've seen lots of your posts on the forum. You're a wonderful person for answering everyone's questions. I hope you're doing very well!

Cassius, my sons blood work has never been a good indicator for his disease or disease activity. It is one of the reasons it took us 3 months of GP visits before we were referred to the GI. The GI kept saying he is picking up viruses, only when slight anemia showed up did the GP refer him. The GI took the symptoms more seriously but also did a bacteria sample on the stool first. He told us he felt it was CD and that in some patients their blood work isn't indicative of what is going on in their GI tract. At his worst, C's inflammation marker in his bloodwork weren't high at all compared to ones I have read on the forum.

The Fecal Calprotectin test is a stool test that tests the amount of inflammation in the GI tract. It can't dx CD per se but it will let you know if there is inflammation in your GI tract and that you require further testing. If they won't go for the colonoscopy, due to normal results, then maybe you could push for this as it isn't invasive. Even when C's CRP(inflammation marker in blood) was in normal ranges during his last flare, the Calprotectin stool level tested at 1200, normal for a healthy person should be below 50 and doctors like to see CD patients below 150. Just a thought.

I know the fatigue is hard. C was so miserably fatigued that going to the restroom would wipe him completely out. But even with this fatigue he had trouble sleeping, which is all he wanted to do to escape how he was feeling, it was dark times for sure.

I know healthcare works different in the UK, hopefully someone will be along shortly that may have more helpful advice on how to navigate your system to get the tests and such that you need.

Thanks again Earnellzwifey & especially Clash. * big hug *

You guys have already been wonderfully helpful. From what I've been reading Crohn's genuinely seems like something doctor's remain pretty clueless about and find it even harder to diagnose.

Clash - there's no doubt healthcare here in the UK is a mixed bag. I've had truly wonderful experiences mostly, but here in London they have so many patients you always know they're trying to get rid of you so they can see the next person. They definitely have a 'Wait and see and don't bother me until you're about to keel over' approach to medicine. They seem to not want to touch diagnosis without hardcore and serious proof that something is already extremely wrong with a patient, rather than actually catching it sooner and doing something more preventative about it!!!

Thanks again guys. * hug *

Cassius, I think it can be a mixed bag here as well. We were lucky with both our dx GI and the Pediatric GI we chose. But it can go either way I have heard some horror stories on here about US healthcare issues as well.

I know there tend to be longer waiting times with the NHS but hopefully they will get you sorted out soon. If you do start to experience alot of bleeding or severe pain I would opt for the A&E. Sorry if this is TMI but if you could snap some pics of the blood if it presents again then next appt show it to your doc.

Anyway, hope you get answers soon! Sending hugs and support your way!! I am a bit of an anglophile so I was in heaven watching opening ceremonies of the Olympics this summer and I would give most anything to spend a season there!! Again, hope you find relief soon!!

Astra

ooo ta Clash!

Hiya Cassius
and welcome

mmmm you don't bleed OR lose weight with IBS (which stands for It's Bull Shit)
You've got belly ache cos you're inflamed not irritable!
Ok, I had this crap for 15 years, I was nearly carted off in a van with the men in white coats for being 'neurotic' cos I screamed blue murder!
I knew somrthing wasn't right, long story.
Appendicitis could be the red flag, what if it wasn't your appendix? What if it was your ileum or caecum?
You could be narrowing from years of inflammation, hence the feeling that you need to poo, but it won't come out?
All these extra intestinal manifestations (EIMs) ie elevated white blood count etc, you're experiencing shows that your immune system is going haywire.
You need a second opinion, and you could choose a different hospital, start again, this is your right as a UK citizen.
http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourchoices/hospitalchoice/Pages/Choosingahospital.aspx
I tell everyone this one!
Good luck, and a scope is £400 if you wanna go private!
Joan xxx

Thanks so much Clash!!! * hug * And Hi Astra - thank you too! It's wonderful to know someone close by who has experience with the NHS!

The doctor I spoke to today suggested going private, but she said I'd need to do one thing that would cost £250 and then the scope would cost £500. Out of interest, do you know where I can get that private endoscopy/colonoscopy for £400?

Take care and thanks so much for you reply!!! * hug *

Astra

Hiya Cassius

I know my friend was quoted £400 for a scope at a private BUPA hospital here called Fairfield, and, surprise surprise it was to be done by her consultant within days without the 8 week wait, needless to say she didn't go ahead with it, she waited for the appt from NHS 8 weeks later!

Thanks again so much Astra! * hug * :)

I've been looking at prices online which range wildly from £500 to £2200 (I'm not joking!).

If I can find one for £400, I'll definitely take it up as I don't know how long I can go on feeling this lethargic. I know I'm throwing out hugs and smilies here, but that's what I always do even when I'm feeling terrible.

I still really have no idea where to start but I'll chat with my GP as soon as I can. I'm going in for a final blood test they want to do to see if it indicates Crohn's. They've done so many blood tests I don't know what else they could be looking for. I'll ask them to look for some of the vitamin deficiencies that Clash mentioned as well.

I hope you have a great weekend! * big hug *

Hi Cassius and welcome.
A word to the wise...
Don't get discouraged IF you labs come back normal.
Some on here have normal lab results yet IBD is taring them up.

Astra

Big hug back atcha Cassius, hope you have a good un too! And keep swimming!

I have all that horrible fatigue too, it's my body telling me to slow down, it's nicking vital energy from other organs to combat the inflammation cos it can't fight back on it's own!
And then after tons of sleep I feel ok again, sleep is vital! Hope you get some this weekend!
Meant to say, if your terminal ileum is knackered, it might not be working properly, that's why you're tired, your heart is racing and it's cos of Vitamin B12 deficiency, a scope will suss that out!
xxx

Thanks so much Farmwife. * hug * I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to respond!

I'm preparing myself for things like that to happen as thus far they've basically discovered absolutely nothing. My palpitations drive me crazy, yet the the many many ECGs they've done show my heart is fitter than most people's. I'm exhausted to the point where I cant barely do anything. I've lost so much weight. I've had constant diarrhea, yet still no results of anything abnormal (beyond the initial low potassium and elevated white cell count, which are now back to normal levels).

The truth is though - what I do want is an answer to all this. Yet is seems from the many stories I've been reading on this forum, a straight forward answer is very difficult to find!

Thanks Astra!!! :) I may be in touch with you some more to discuss.

Thanks again for your responses and have a great weekend! :)

Astra

Dunno if you got my last edit Cassius
Think this is what's up with me now, my terminal ileum is goosed!
Think I'm heading for a re section soon, my consultant is threatening me!

Cassius, I wonder if the blood test they are thinking of doing is the Prometheus Serology Test? It isn't a true diagnostic test for CD as you can have the results come up negative and still have CD. If you search Prometheus in the seach option on the forum you can get more information on it.

Astra

Yeah I think it's time!
we're cutting the bitch out!

I'm off to bed, me eyes are melting, nighty night xx

Thanks Clash! I'll try to mention this but the particular doctor I'm seeing seems to be a little sensitive about other doctors giving me recommendations so she might get upset if I start questioning what she's going to discover in this blood test that will definitively indicate Crohn's. :D

Sleep well and sweet dreams Astra!! * hug *