• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Soluble fiber

I have been told by my IBD nurse that I need more soluble fiber in my diet to poop easier as I'm straining and it's hard to pass stool even though it's formed and there alot of wetness to it cause apparently I'm not absorbing all the water I drink so I need something to soak it up aswel.

I'd do some googling but feel tired and my vision is blurring from the tiredness off for a nap I asked about metamucil and she said to be carefull with it as it can bulk up in my gut if I'm not absorbing it all and she said I can be in discomfort from that I was looking at bebfiber it just disolves in a liquid but by the looks of the label it has hardly any fiber in it at all

Lots of people on here have had positive results from adding psyllium to their diets. It is highly soluble in water and forms mucilage, which acts as a laxative. There is a thread about it in the Forum Wiki.

Lots of people on here have had positive results from adding psyllium to their diets. It is highly soluble in water and forms mucilage, which acts as a laxative. There is a thread about it in the Forum Wiki.
The word laxative has me worried I already have enough BM's

The word laxative has me worried I already have enough BM's
But you said that you were having difficulty getting them out, didn't you? And it shouldn't give you more BMs - probably fewer.

Did you read the info in the Wiki?

Not yet bit tired and having trouble concentrating will do it as soon as I can

yeah it's hard work to push them out I just saw laxative and freaked out thinking I'll be stuck on the toilet even more

kiny

myths

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050111122655.htm

There are a lot of common myths about constipation treatment. An article in the January issue of The American Journal of Gastroenterology dispels those myths and clears numerous misconceptions regarding chronic constipation. From a high fiber diet to taking laxatives, researchers address the common beliefs concerning various aspects of the condition and review results based on medical trials.

According to the authors, although there is no doubt that fiber increases stool bulk and frequency, the role of dietary fiber to treat chronic constipation is exaggerated. A low fiber diet has been proven not to be the cause of constipation and the success of fiber intake as treatment is modest. The study reviewed conducted by Voderholzer et al showed that only 20% of slow transit patients benefited from fiber. Further data suggests that while many patients may be helped by a fiber-rich diet, some actually suffer from worse symptoms when increasing their fiber intake.

Don't worry kiny has some strong opinions that I don't really agree with as I've noticed better results when introducing fiber I don't really follow or beleive in studies as some of the crap they say is bad then they say it's actually good for you and so on look at all the crap they show on the news one day they report that something is bad for you then a few months later they report that that thing turns out to be good for you.

Everyonnes body and system is diffrent so I'll stick to what my body tells me and not someone in a white coat and glasses that hardly sees the light of day.

Yeah don't worry too much kinny is always presenting some study I don't really listen to that crap

Beleive me if I could I would I love fresh apples and fruits when I could tolerate them now they wreak havoc on my guts

KWalker

Ozboz, you should really check out the psyllium husks thread. I started using metamucil with psyllium and it definitely slowed my down my BM's, but metamucil is known to be harsh on the stomach for some people, and with psyllium husks being more effective I made the switch.

Before, I went to the bathroom anywhere from 5-9 times a day (always D of course) depending on what I ate that day. After starting taking psyllium husks, that has decreased to 2-4, but closer to 2... and it's formed, but not rock solid. I've had it where sometimes I barely even have to wipe too!

As far as I understand, psyllium husks work for both diarrhea and constipation. Although I've never suffered from constipation, psyllium has definitely made a huge improvement on my diarrhea/frequency. I believe the main goal is to regulate you. I believe there are people within the psyllium husks thread who take it for both problems.

Best of luck and hopefully you can find something soon

Guys I'm not constipated quite the opposite my stools are well formed and hard but are small and a bit skinny due to thickening of the bowel it's just they're hard to pass and I need about 3-5 bm's at a time to pass the stool if I could pass it well my GI says I can get the BM'S down to about 3 and he and the IBD nurse said to try fiber to help them pass easier and in one big mass and I have lot's of un-absorbed water in the stool like it leaks before the stool and a bit after so they said I could try metamucil to soak it up but I've had problems with metamucil in the past so I'll really give the psylium husks a go

Well metamucil is the same thing as psyllium husk but buying a pure psyllium husk product doesn't contain toxic garbage like in metamucil. Good luck with psyllium husk if that doesn't work you should try chia seeds. I prefer them over psyllium husk.

Tried chia seeds aswell didn't like them I made them into a gel but there was still seed in there and it felt like sand paper going through me