• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here unsure of my meds.

:confused2:please excuse if I meke any errors as I'm new at this. I was first diagnosed with with apendisitis till I went into surgery and waking up is when we found out I had Crohn's disease instead. They went ahead and removed my appenex for safty percautions any way as it was still healthy. I also have Epilepsy so some of the medications that are out their. I'm just started imuran about a month ago dealing with the side effect from it infections, feels like I'm having more joint pain, problems sleeping at night needing to take naps during the day as I cant keep my eyes open after a few hrs. I feel like I let people down as I cant get things done I don't have the energy like I use to I dont know if its from the other meds either.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so unwell at the moment :( Just to confirm did the fatigue and joint pain start when you started the Imuran or were they present before? Is this the only med you are on for the crohn's at the moment? Were you on any others meds prior to starting this? I think it may be worth asking your doc to check your vitamin levels as well especially your B12 and D, people with crohn's can suffer from deficiences in this area and low levels can contribute in part to how you are feeling. Have you been able to let your GI team know of these problems you are having? How is the tum itself - has it settled at all?

AB
xx

Hi Joe1979 welcome to the forum and I an sorry that you are feeling so bad right now. I understand the problem with low energy and feelings of letting people down. Before I got sick I was the glue of my family and very outgoing. now 6 years later at the age of 34 I am permanantly disabled and mainly bedridden. This is not mainly due to CD so please don't let my situation scare you. I just understand about how you feel. As you can see from my signature I have 32 medical conditions.

The one thing that I have learned over the years is that you can only do what you can. As long as you feel like you are trying your best it is no matter how much you get done, it is that you did not just give up.

For example: I use to cook really big dinners everynight for my family even when woring 2 full time jobs. Now I am satisfied if I good a basic dinner once a week, why because I know that I tried and did not give up.

I hope that you find relief soon and get on your way to remission.

SarahBear

Hi, Joe! Welcome to the forum.

Imuran is the only thing you're taking? No steroids? Might the fatigue you're feeling be related to your recovery from the surgery?

Usually, side effects settle down after you've been taking the medication for a while. If it is drastically interfering with your life, it's probably worth at least discussing with your GI. As Angrybird suggested, having your vitamin levels checked would be a good idea as well.

I hope things get better for you soon!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Joe and welcome to the community!

While Crohn's disease alone can lead to fatigue and so can your meds, I also agree with Angrybird. Getting your vitamin B12, vitamin D, and magnesium levels tested are a great idea.

We're here for you.