Share Facebook

12-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #31
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Luckily nuts don't bother me so I also want to try hazlenut butter and others like that. You can boil the almond as well and then the skins peel right off, if that's cheaper.

I actually found 100% pure peanut butter at my Walmart as well that I think would be SCD legal
The Smucker's brand? I picked some up, hoping we can try it in the near future. Coconut milk is pretty easy to make. We make homemade olive oil mayo and that is a life saver. You can mix that with real honey and mustard for a great dressing or dip. I find many uses for the mayo! We use coconut oil too. There is also a brand of canned coconut milk at Wal-mart. It has a green label ~ it is the only one that I can find without guar gum or xantham gum or sugar (all illegal). If you take that can and put it in the fridge for a few hours, take it out and spoon all of the thick white off the top and put it in a mixing bowl with a little honey and mix it with an electric mixer then it will fluff just like whipped cream. An awesome treat on top of fruit, etc.
Enteral Nutrition
12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
KWalker

It's either smucker's or kraft. I think I know what kind of coconut mil you're talking about as well. I believe olive oil is allowed (even from the store) as long as it is extra virgin. I did not know mustard was allowed either.

Tropicana makes a 100% orange juice (legal) and Welch's makes 100% grape juice which is also legal.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
12-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #33
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's either smucker's or kraft. I think I know what kind of coconut mil you're talking about as well. I believe olive oil is allowed (even from the store) as long as it is extra virgin. I did not know mustard was allowed either.

Tropicana makes a 100% orange juice (legal) and Welch's makes 100% grape juice which is also legal.

Yes, and I have made popsicles and jello out of the Welch's for my son. Real apple cider is great ~ it is a great warm drink too. It must be the type with fresh pressed apples and no sugar.

Here is the blurb on mustard from the official website...
Mustard is legal as long as it doesn't contain illegal ingredients; read the labels carefully.
12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Great Stuff, Love it. I look forward to following your progress. Are you altering the diet at all? Are you including dairy?

Muppet, you know, It doesn't need to be your duty to hijack every alternative/diet treatment thread and spill your anti diet and anti alternative ideas on the person who has made the decision through research and by asking about other's experiences like KWalker did. You don't have this duty anymore than I have the duty to go to a Humira thread and tell them my opinion of biologics and diet.

I did very similarly to you at around the same age as you. I went 7 years without a single IBD issue despite being on no meds and only casually watching my diet.
Then it wasn't similar at all. "casually". KWalker will be "hitting this hard" and starting on a strict SCD diet which is a completely different thing than a "casually watched diet".

I don't believe you have the right to talk against a strict healthy diet when you yourself haven't even attempted said diet. Just as I wouldn't talk on the efficacy of Imuran, since I was never on it.

This thread needs a "At your own risk, be careful" sticker.
If we were to start doing that then we would need that sticker for just about every treatment, yes even the meds. Most people consult their doctors first and foremost so don't think that someone is going to suddenly make the decision to drop meds and adopt a diet based off the SCD journey of one individual.

This thread isn't a "SCD DIET WORKS!" this was a "hey guys I'm going to TRY the SCD diet, any words of encouragement... any questions?".

I understand your points and concern if he was claiming in the thread that it works and that everyone should give it a try, but to hijack a personal journey thread would be like scaring a newby on a Remicade treatment journey by posting all the serious side effects and then crutching it against the "safety" and "efficacy" of a diet.

Please leave the cautionary information for the threads that need it and that aren't already exercising such caution.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #35
muppet

There's nothing anti diet in my posts. I'm sorry you project it onto them as its counter to discussion. If not for diet modifications I'd have had a total colectomy a decade ago and probably be close to disability. Criticism is not opposition. Stop being so polarizing.
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #36
KWalker

Thanks Gianni for the ongoing help and support. I'm going to take the diet a little farther than just the SCD. After the growing number of people talking about doing well without the yogurt, I won't be including dairy at all. I don't drink milk to begin with, and with the little amount of cheese that I do eat I'm just going to cut it completely. The SCD also allows pop once a week which I'm going to cut because I feel that once a week would eventuallyturn into twice a week, three times, etc.

I'm going to do a bit more reading on juicing/smoothies to see what I can use, because I do plan to do that a lot but I want to make sure I get enough calories and need to find a way to make sure those get in there.

Pretty much if the scd diet says "allowed in moderation" I'm just got to cut it completely. Like I said with the pop, if I drink it without problems, the frequency will just increase and I'll end up ruining the diet. Another basis I'm going to use is if I can't even pronounce the ingredients, its not going in my mouth.

Again, thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate the support from some people and through those helping through PM's.
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Then it wasn't similar at all. "casually". KWalker will be "hitting this hard" and starting on a strict SCD diet which is a completely different thing than a "casually watched diet".

I don't believe you have the right to talk against a strict healthy diet when you yourself haven't even attempted said diet. Just as I wouldn't talk on the efficacy of Imuran, since I was never on it.

Gianni

This is a HUGE point Gianni. I keep hearing from people who talk down on diet but when you really ask questions they have either never tried it or they did it half way. If you choose to go without meds and try a diet approach, there is no half heartedness allowed. It is all or nothing. For some people, food can be your medicine, but you must eat to live not live to eat ~ develop new tastes and new food habits. You can't follow the diet 75% of the time ~ the other 25% counts too.
12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
muppet

The likelihood of compliance is an inherent risk of the diet. Especially for teenaged patients.
12-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
KWalker

Who are teenaged patients? Usually teens have the supervision of their parents, unless you're talking about me in which I'm not a teenager, I buy my own groceries and cook my own meals.
12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The likelihood of compliance is an inherent risk of the diet. Especially for teenaged patients.

Absolutely true! But there are doctors who know that diets often work and yet they only give the medication options because they don't feel they can trust the patient to stick to a diet. I think they should be honest with patients. Option A ~ take the meds and don't worry as much about diet or Option B ~ strict diet, no cheating allowed. It really isn't fair that they only present the one option as if there wasn't another. My son is only 11, but he knows that this diet is working and he is 100% compliant because he is seeing the results. We have talked through this with him. He knows the medications and the side effects. He knows that he wouldn't need to worry about the food as much if he were on medication. We asked him if he would rather use the medication and he said no. We have a pact ~ as long as we are not on medications he must stick to it 100%, but if at any point he wants to go on medication instead then we are open to that. Have we influenced his decision? Of course, we are his parents. But he is not without say in this matter.

I think if the diet approach was presented, doctors might be surprised at how many people would choose and stick to it.
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #41
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Yes I understand the concern muppet but this is just a thread about KWalker notifying that he will be TRYING the SCD diet... This isn't a thread swearing the efficacy. No one is going to look at this thread and go "wow if he is starting a diet... it must mean it works". What it might do is spark interest and with that interest the patient will further research the diet and see if they are willing to make the commitment or whether or not it works for them and their lifestyle.

Gianni
12-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
KWalker

I just think it's completely contradictory when people take medicine because it allows them to eat whatever they want. Why not just change what we eat so we can reduce the medicine we need? Taking biologics is going to do absolutely nothing if you still go out and put all this processed, spicy food in your mouth that isn't even good for "healthy" people.

I guess it just depends how much effort people want to put into it
12-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Kwalker, I wish you the best of luck and your son, Charleigh, also. I was on the SCD with great results for almost a year. I only stopped because I grew so incredibly tired of never eating out and making everything from scratch. So instead of cheating occasionally I totally fell off the wagon.

Otherwise I highly recommend it. There's a Yahoo support group you can join if you Google "BTVC Yahoo group." Lots of SCD old-timers there to give support and info.
12-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #44
KWalker

Thanks! How are you doing now that you've stopped?
12-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I did really well for the first few weeks after stopping and thought I'd been cured, haha. I ended up going on Imuran due to symptoms returning though. I'm doing okay on Imuran as long as I watch what I eat and avoid fiber, overeating, etc., my typical triggers. As long as I feel okay I prefer Imuran to SCD due to the SCD restrictions and work load. IF you could cheat on it occasionally I'd probably go back on it and may give that a try one of these days, but cheating always made me sick for a week so I never did it. I got "diet fatigue" after awhile and just totally gave up instead of trying a compromise by maybe eating out once a month or something.

Should I ever face stronger meds or surgery I'll probably return to SCD. I'm also playing around with the idea of doing it part-time with Imuran simply because I lost a lot of weight on it, weight I needed to lose as Crohn's makes me fat in the same way it makes some people too thin.
12-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #46
KWalker

What did you do for the yogurt at the beginning? I've found yogurt at the store that is dairy free, and only has like 3 ingredients which makes me think that would be legal, but I'm not sure I want to do dairy/yogurt at all.
12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #47
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I didn't do yogurt at first. If I'm remembering correctly I started it a couple of weeks in and made it using the heating pad method (you can Gooogle that). After I'd decided I was sticking to SCD I bought a yogurt maker.

A lot of people do SCD without yogurt. I'm not sure if they take probiotics in pill form or not. I don't remember. Oh, you know some people make yogurt using almond or coconut milk but I never bothered.

Far as I know there is no commercially prepared yogurt that's recognized as legal.
12-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #48
hugh

My Support Groups:
You will be fine without yogurt, but i'd advise a good probiotic in high doses to begin with (or probably building up to high doses as there can be a bit of a reaction at the start).
There are non-dairy probiotic foods, so check them out (except for the soy ones!!!!! that' the paleo in me coming out)
You won't have a healthy gut without healthy gut bacteria

I tried SCD and went paleo because of what the yogurt did to me. (I'm fine till i fall of the diet, then pain comes back, interestingly, and just as an aside, white rice and sweet potatoes are fine (for me) but sugar and wheat are evil))

A juicer would be a great option, after a few weeks of veg juice pop will taste like the shit that it is.
You can still eat out, Meat and salad, you just have to be careful about sauces and gravy and dressing. (i take a lemon and a small jar of good olive oil with me, best dressing ever)
12-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #49
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

I tried SCD and went paleo because of what the yogurt did to me. (I'm fine till i fall of the diet, then pain comes back, interestingly, and just as an aside, white rice and sweet potatoes are fine (for me) but sugar and wheat are evil))

We are SCD without the yogurt too. Probiotics have caused huge issues each time we have tried them so we are avoiding them for now.

I have heard many people say that can tolerate potatoes ~ for you, is it just sweet potatoes? Have you tried white potatoes?
12-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #50
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
One way to get some probiotics is Bubbies brand pickles. If you like pickles, that is. They're legal and fermented rather than the usual pickle so have lots of good bacteria in them. If you can't tolerate the pickle you can drink some of the juice.

I still buy Bubbies even not on SCD because they're sooo good.
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #51
hugh

My Support Groups:
I have heard many people say that can tolerate potatoes ~ for you, is it just sweet potatoes? Have you tried white potatoes?
I've tried roast potatoes a couple of times, each time i broke out in a sweat and then started pouring snot (ewwww) for about an hour so i have decided to avoid them.
I also ate some chips fried in veg oil and had a bad episode about two/three weeks later which i put down to the potatoe
12-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #52
KatyBuckeye

Luckily nuts don't bother me so I also want to try hazlenut butter and others like that. You can boil the almond as well and then the skins peel right off, if that's cheaper.

I actually found 100% pure peanut butter at my Walmart as well that I think would be SCD legal
Good luck on the diet!!! I just wanted to point out that peanut butter is not allowed on the SCD intro diet. Peanuts are actually legumes and not nuts. And you may want to go easy on the nuts at first. That was one of the things that delayed my healing for awhile (too many nuts). Also, I did the Welch's grape juice and discovered that it was just too much at first...as was the homemade yogurt. I had to cut out all dairy.

I cannot tolerate most root vegetables, even those that are SCD legal. I tried rutabaga at one point and it definitely didn't agree with me, so I won't be attempting potatoes anytime soon.

Bubbies brand pickles are a good alternative, but even better would be to make your own fermented vegetables. Instructions here: http://thepaleonurse.com/2012/09/23/...ed-vegetables/

**Check out my blog at http://www.thepaleonurse.com/blog

**Like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PaleoNurse
12-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #53
wildbill_52280

good luck on the scd diet.

making yogurt was very hard for me, i had better results with natren yogurt starter rather then the yogormet starter. eventually i stopped making yogurt because i made so many unsuccessful batches, i NEVER could ferment all the lactose out of the yogurt so i doubt that you ever will, but it likely still is better then store bought products and contains less then a store bought product.

lately ive been thinking, if i ever start eating yogurt again, which i should because that helps alot and makes me feel so great, i will simply buy plain yogurt from the store and let it sit out on the counter for 24 hours to further ferment then stick it in the fridge the next day, that would be alot easier then boiling the milk myself and adding the starter at the right moment etc , its alot of work, and it oftens fails. i would also let it sit in the fridge for a week or two as it will still be fermenting the lactose, although quite slower then at room temp, that would likely be the simplest and possibly the best way to get a low lactose/high lactic acid yogurt without all the work.

ps, i even bought the recommended yogormet yogurt maker and followed every instruction to the tee, STILL, things were challenging, but that was my experiance.

i hope this helps you on your journey.
12-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #54
KWalker

Thanks KatyBuckeye! I've ordered the BTVC book and was going to follow that and not incorporate the peanut butter until it says too. I've just been looking at what I can and can't eat when I noticed the peanut butter in the store.

wildbill_52280- I probably won't make my own yogurt either to be honest..if I even eat the yogurt at all. The yogurt I found only had 3 ingredients but of course I can't find it on the walmart website. I was also looking at an almond milk today that only had a few ingredients that I was wondering if it would be legal as well.

Are you on the SCD diet? How did it work for you?
12-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #55
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I was also looking at an almond milk today that only had a few ingredients that I was wondering if it would be legal as well.
I can't find a commercial milk that is legal. Even if it doesn't have sugar it has xantham, gellan, or locust gum (all illegal). I find homemade coconut milk to be easier to make that almond milk.
12-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #56
KWalker

Oh okay. I'm still new to trying to figure out which ingredients like those I can have
12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #57
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh okay. I'm still new to trying to figure out which ingredients like those I can have

It is tricky! I thought I could just use commercial unsweetened almond or coconut milk but I had no luck finding anything. If you happen to find a brand that is legal, please let me know so I can look for it.
12-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #58
KWalker

Oh as long as it's unsweetened it's legal?
12-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #59
KWalker

This is a Silk Pure Almond milk I found. It's unsweetened and the original version.
Ingredients: All Natural Almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, d-alpha-Tocopherol (natural vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.

This is a Silk Pure Coconut Milk I found. Again, original and unsweetened. (Won't let me copy/paste ingredients.)
12-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #60
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh as long as it's unsweetened it's legal?

No, even if it is unsweetened it is not legal unless it has no sugar or cane juice, and no guar gum, xantham gun, gellan gum, etc. All "gums" are illegal. Carrageenan is also a no no.