Share Facebook

12-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #61
Clash
Forum Monitor

KWalker since the carrageenan is illegal you also have to be careful with your toothpaste as most do contain it.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
12-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #62
KWalker

Thanks Carleigh. I'm hoping after I read the book (hopefully it gets here soon) it will help with the other ingredients like that.

Clash- that's not problem, I spit the tooth paste out when I'm done with it anyways. Lol just kidding haha. Yeah I thought about that and will have to look at different kinds next time I go out.

What kind do you guys use?

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
12-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #63
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What kind do you guys use?
I make homemade coconut milk for my DS. I sweeten it with honey.
Enteral Nutrition
12-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #64
KWalker

I meant for the toothpaste. I actually haven't even seen a recipe for coconut milk yet! I would assume its much cheaper than almond milk though.
12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #65
Clash
Forum Monitor

David has a recipe for the homemade toothpaste posted, not sure where now though.
12-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #66
KWalker

I've seen it actually, but if I could find one pre-made that would be better.
12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #67
KatyBuckeye

You probably will not be able to find a legal milk that comes in a carton. Most have gums or carrageenan added. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (I think they are only in the US though), there is a canned Trader Joe's brand that is legal. Or this is a legal brand sold on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Value-...e+coconut+milk.

You could also make homemade coconut or almond milk. I find it easier just to buy it from Trader Joe's since it is close and convenient.

**Check out my blog at http://www.thepaleonurse.com/blog

**Like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PaleoNurse
12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #68
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Some juicers will be able to make nut milks. So if you are looking to buy a juicer you can kill two birds with one stone

JUICING! click here!
12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #69
KWalker

Yeah that's another reason why I want a juicer asap.
12-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #70
KWalker

So umm, I figured since I won't be able to eat it in about 2 weeks, I figured I'd take advantage of it while I can

12-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #71
wildbill_52280

Thanks KatyBuckeye! I've ordered the BTVC book and was going to follow that and not incorporate the peanut butter until it says too. I've just been looking at what I can and can't eat when I noticed the peanut butter in the store.

wildbill_52280- I probably won't make my own yogurt either to be honest..if I even eat the yogurt at all. The yogurt I found only had 3 ingredients but of course I can't find it on the walmart website. I was also looking at an almond milk today that only had a few ingredients that I was wondering if it would be legal as well.

Are you on the SCD diet? How did it work for you?
i just use the principles of the scd to help with symptoms, fo rme i found that well cooked refried beans are fines, instant oatmeal is fine, and only select brands of wheat are fine, as the book mentions, corn is not well tolerated and for me that seems to be the case, also rice has been an issue at times. also,most fruits have enough sucrose to bring back symptoms for me, with the regiman i have devised which is inspired by the scd, i have maintained one- two bms a day for about 3.5 years now, since first being diagnosed, i have not had any surgery nor any serious complications at all, its definitly a tool to learn how to use. i have only used medication for about one month. and my disease is not mild it is severe. i wouldnt say i owe it all to the scd principles, but alot of it is likely due to the ideas in the books, i do not follow anything strictly and for me some of the advice doesnt apply very well, such as the fruit thing and issues with the yogurt, i can have small pieces of fruit maybe once a week. For someone that also uses medications, you may not have to be so strict with the diet.

let me clarify, i am strict with the principles of the diet like starving bacteria of lactose sucrose and select starches, but i dont follow the list of safe/unsafe foods so strictly, i have only used that list as a guideline, its a good starting point. unfortunatly the yogurt part is very important i was only able to do it for about 6 weeks in the beginning and now i believe it helped greatly though i had some issues going back to that yogurt part i never really did find solutions to it until what i had previously mentioned of buying yogurt from the store and leaving it at room temp to ferment or in the fridge to ferment for a week or two. i have every intention on doing that again soon, or seeing if that will actually work to solve the " how do i get low lactose yogurt, without making my own" problem. so for you to get the full trial of what the diet plan can do for you, it would be good to at least employ the yogurt for some time.
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #72
KWalker

Wow! I will reply tomorrow when I have more time, but thanks! I'm not on meds either though. I haven't been on any meds since 2010. The most I've taken was 1-2 week prescriptions for an abscess. Other than that I'm med free.
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #73
KWalker

My Breaking the Viscous Cycle book came in the mail today!
05-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #74
glory_h

My Support Groups:
Hi KWalker, how is your diet coming along? You may have started a new thread but this is one I had subscribed to. Very curious!