• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not diagnosed yet but looking like Crohn's

Ive not been diagnosed yet but the doctors are thinking its Crohn's. Ive always had stomach issues since i was a young child and after my 2 children i had to have my gallbladder out. Since my surgery this time last year my stomach has been horrible!! It got so bad last year i was in bed for almost a month not knowing what was going on. I finally went to the doctor after losing weight and being in pain and not being able to stay out of the bathroom. Well they sent me to a GI and scheduled me for a colonoscopy and sent me for fluids. After my fluids all of a sudden i felt fine so i didnt go for my colonoscopy. This past month and half it all came back!! So of course i went back to the doctor and they are still saying Crohn's and i am scheduled for my colonoscopy a week from today...and i AM going!!

I just need to know what to expect if it is Crohn's. Im in alot of pain and tired all the time and ALWAYS in the bathroom! And i am a stay at home mommy and wife and i never stop but now i cant do ANYTHING and i feel bad cause my husband works all day and then has to come home and take care of me, the house and the boys. if it is Crohn's do things ever get NORMAL???
HELP!! :(

KWalker

Welcome to the forum! An official diagnosis means answers, proper medication, and being on the road to better health! I'm sorry you've been in so much pain and hope you can find a proper diagnosis (as much as it sucks) because it means things can only start to improve

Do you mean 120mg of Prednisone once a day?! I don't think I've heard of such a high dose before. How are you feeling on that dose?

Now, don't let me put you off, if your doctor prescribed it, it's probably OK, but I personally haven't seen that much prescribed before. How long do they want you at that dose?

Yeah, as a rule if you're dehydrated, fluids will make you feel like Superman, but if there's an ongoing issue that still hasn't resolved it'll be temporary.

Oh phew. You mean 6 days of 20mg per day. Normally with that long a course I'd have to taper at the end to avoid a resurgeonce of symptoms. Did he or she say anything about tapering the prednisone dose?

no they didnt say. i go for my colonoscopy a week from today. they arent sure if i have crohns but they gave it to me just in case and to see if it would help.

If I went from 6 days at 20mg to 0, I'd get pretty sick. I hope that's not the case for you. Good luck with the colonoscopy, let us know how that goes.

Not everybody is as sensitive to tapering as I am. If you notice more pain, nausea, diarrhea, etc when you go off, you might ask your GI about it and whether a taper would be better next time.

Since your scope is scheduled in a week, he may be waiting to see if you improve before prescribing the remainder of the course...?