• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support for December 2012

This is a place where those who are choosing to use the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), Paleo, or GAPS diets can freely share their experiences, exchange ideas and recipes, and find encouragement. Those who are choosing a diet may or may not be using medication. We will assume that those involved already understand the risks involved in medications or the lack of medications.

We thank you for honoring our desire to keep this section as a place of support. If you would like to debate whether diets are a good idea, please begin a new thread for that. Thank you so much!

I just order the Breaking the Viscous Cycle Book!

I can't wait until it comes in
I found it very fascinating and it just made sense to me. Until then nothing else really made much sense. Once you read the Science behind it, you will be even more motivated to begin and stick to the diet.

We had cauliflower mashed potatoes for the first time tonight. I have no idea why we never tried this before. They were actually very good. I think the key is to make sure they are well cooked and well drained. :)

KWalker

Really? We've been wanting to try those for so long but never have. And really? I've actually found quite a bit of dinner recipes that didn't require milk/yogurt. My fiancee uses Pinterest and finds some amazing recipes for SCD. Today we actually had an SCD friendly dinner..kind of lol. We had fresh baked fish with dill and lemon on top and then we had a spinach salad. All of that would be legal but I had dressing on the salad which wouldn't be legal so I need to figure out a substition for the top of salads.

Do you just buy regular honey from the store or is there a specific one to look for?

I'll send you the links to the dinner recipes when I figure out how to use her pinterest so I can find them. Oh, and you can get Spaghetti squash which is legal as well and would be a great substitute for pasta.

I must say, I was expecting chocolate to be illegal but I was kind of disappointed to find out Carib was illegal as that would have been a great substitute.

I should rephrase my last statement ~ I have a difficult time finding recipes for baked goods which are both SCD friendly and dairy free. I have found some but many of them lean on that yogurt so much. I don't have such a problem finding dinner and main meal sort of recipes. Feel free to share any recipes you try and love and I will do the same.

Chocolate has been the biggest bummer for us. Even my poor son has asked a few times if I could make something with chocolate and honey that is sugar free, but then I must remind him that chocolate in and of itself is a no-no. Surely that is a mistake, right? :ybatty:

There are 6 of us and we are all trying to be as SCD compliant as possible (although the rest of us aren't 100% like my 11 year old). I buy most of my honey from Sam's club and it is by far the best price. You can buy a 5 lb bottle of Sue Bee pure honey for $12 dollars and some change. I prefer local raw honey, but it is double the price and not practical (for the budget) for cooking with. I try to save the raw local honey for raw uses (drizzling on top of things).

KWalker

Oh okay, then yes that's the same as us for the fact that we've found tons of non-dairy main meals but the treats/baked goods seem to use dairy in most of them. I'm not a huge "treats" type of person to begin with but it's going to get some getting used to not eating chips or ice cream.

I bet that's expensive feeding 6! We used to eat a lot of pastas even with the two of us because you can buy it in bulk and it's cheap. It won't be as bad because like you said with the cauliflower mashed potatoes, I'm sure a whole head would feed the both of us and that's only like a dollar, but way healthier.

Do you drink coffee? I guess you might not follow the diet as strict as your son but coffee is actually legal. We just got a new Keurig as an early Christmas present and I was kind of bummed thinking I wouldn't get to use it, until I found out coffee is legal! Of course milk and sugar aren't but I was thinking it might not taste too bad with some honey in it. I'm going to try the coffee and see how it goes because it's definitely not something I could just quit cold turkey.

Oh, and I thought it was funny, yesterday I was either replying to your PM or writing in here while eating a Joe Louis. I'm sure you know what those are but if not it's pretty much the equivalent of a chocolate twinkie in a different shape! haha. Definitely won't be eating those anymore

Oh, and I thought it was funny, yesterday I was either replying to your PM or writing in here while eating a Joe Louis. I'm sure you know what those are but if not it's pretty much the equivalent of a chocolate twinkie in a different shape! haha. Definitely won't be eating those anymore

:rof:
:rof:

I'm not a huge "treats" type of person to begin with but it's going to get some getting used to not eating chips or ice cream.
Me neither. I am trying to figure out some good treat ideas for E though. I mean, he is eleven so I want him to have something to take along to a Christmas party or Birthday, etc.

I bet that's expensive feeding 6!

I have learned to do it as inexpensively as possible. Again, focusing on the fresh stuff and not trying to duplicate a bunch of breads and baked goods helps a lot!!!!

Do you drink coffee?
I don't drink it anymore. I used to, but I quit about two years ago because I have thyroid issues and I keep hearing that coffee can mess with the adrenals. It is nice for you that it is legal :)

Once I find the other websites on Pinterest I will post them but these two are saved on my toolbar. I haven't even looked at them lol. My fiancee does all the searching haha. I think she's more excited than I am!

It seems like people are still hesistant to "come out" with the SCD diet

Thank you ~ I know I have looked at the against all grain site before but forgot about it. Good reminder to save it to my tool bar too.

You do realize that you are incredible blessed with such a supportive fiancee, right? :heart: I think you should marry her fast! :lol:

KWalker

LOL we have to finish school, or atleast be closer to the end first. Most of the money we have goes towards paying tuition haha. But yes, that's the plan ;)

It gets better, she even packed my abscess after surgery! haha

It seems like people are still hesistant to "come out" with the SCD diet

I completely agree with you. I hope that having a monthly thread for support will help this. It is sad that so often threads where someone is asking for help turn into a debate. I respect the opinion of those who do not agree, and I respect their right to voice their opinions but support threads should be for support not for defending yourself.

I hope this makes someone feel more free to ask questions and discuss these diet options if they are choosing that route or are interested.

LOL we have to finish school, or atleast be closer to the end first. Most of the money we have goes towards paying tuition haha. But yes, that's the plan ;)

It gets better, she even packed my abscess after surgery! haha
Wow, that is awesome! I understand finishing school first. Just don't forget to treasure her! :)

KWalker

Oh I know, I wouldn't change anything :) We live together and have our monthly "date nights" where we go out and just forget about school and have fun. Of course now I'll be munching on a piece of celery while she gets to eat good restaurant food LOL

Oh I know, I wouldn't change anything :) Of course now I'll be munching on a piece of celery while she gets to eat good restaurant food LOL
I think restaurants are just tough. Outback Steakhouse is very allergy aware and they even have a gluten free menu. I have heard that if you order things cooked without seasoning, they are super easy about it. If you go with the plain stuff (a steak and veggies), have no seasoning added, and bring your own dressing, etc then you might be okay for a special date. Just a thought.

KWalker

I was looking online and of course Outback is a US thing! One of our favorite restaurants we go to actually has a grilled chicken parmesan with fresh veggies and whole potatoes, or I always get the Tilapia (fish) with fresh veggies and whole potatoes. I definitely think they would give me the chicken or fish plain and just the veggies. It's a really good restaurant and I think that would still be good.

I think most restaurants that cook the food fresh are good at working with special diets. Do we make a steady diet of eating out? Of course not, but the occasional time should be okay if you try to follow the rules the best you can.

I feel like we are making great progress with E. He is down to one semi-loose stool per day. He has had no joint pain and his energy is picking up. I think (cross my fingers) that we have successfully added in natural peanut butter, which I am hoping will help him get more good fat and put on weight.

KWalker

Good! That's so awesome! I also have good news, but not as good as yours lol. The other day we went out for dinner to our favorite restaurant to celebrate the end of exams and I found out they have a gluten free menu as well! It's a fancy italian restaurant but they'll make gluten free pasta/pizza, steak w/ veggies, etc! I was pretty excited!

Do you add sweet potato to your mash? I think that it's legal for SCD and is very good for you (high in calcium, folate, potassium and beta-carotene) and has a low glycemic index. I almost always mash it with my potatoes.

Sorry, just checked and they are illegal for SCD, but swedes (rutabaga) aren't and they are good mashed.

KWalker

Yeah sweet potatoes are illegal. I've never heard of the mashed rutabega but I know many people (like Charleigh) mash cauliflower.

If you've been cooking meat in a frying pan, after you have taken the meat out, add the mashed cauliflower and a scrap of water or stock to get the bits up, stir through the cauliflower and cook a few moments - gives a lovely taste.

I have to confess that I am an interloper here. I don't follow SCD, Paleo or GAPS, but I am on no meds and haven't been since my proctocolectomy in 2000. I basically follow an adaped version of the Blood Type Diet and I think that this has a strong influence on my maintaining reasonable control over my Crohn's. (I don't like to use the rem...... word for fear that the evil fairy godmother might be listening! :shifty: :) )

KWalker

Wow Susan that's amazing!

Oh, you still haven't shown me a pic of your schnauzer! (I think it was you that had one too)

Here he is, somewhat windblown, on the beach where I live:

He went to the groomer the other day to get his summer haircut. :)

KWalker

Aww! Is he a mini or a standard? We usually get the groomer to do the puppy package so he looks scruffy all around but clean and short, easy to brush, etc. Back in October we got the groomer to do the full schnauzer cut and he actually looked like a normal schnauzer!

Were expecting snow any time now so I think we'll wait for a bit to let his hair grow back so he's not so cold. I'll post a pic!

He's a mini. He had been shown by the breeder before he came to me at the age of 4 - he's now just 11. He's the third mini schnauzer that I have had.

My previous one was also four when I got him. He was a champion and was even best veteran in the Adelaide show at the age of 11 (shown by the breeder, not me ) and was used as a stud dog. (There is some of his semen stored frozen at the University of Melbourne veterinary hospital. :cool:)

But they all become beach and bush bums when they come to me!

KWalker

aww that's so cute! I wanted to breed mine because he's white but we decided to get him neutered just because it lowers the risk of problems for them. Mine is 2 now and we got him right at 8 weeks from a registered breeder. Actually it was kind of nice because the breeder prefers the European look so they don't crop the ears or the tail.

I can't wait to get another one, although somebody down the road has a giant schnauzer and ours plays with it sometimes so I would love to have a giant schnauzer as well.

This is how he normally looks. Nobody believes he's a schnauzer

This is with the schnauzer cut
He's very cute. White mini Schnauzers are very uncommon here; most of them are salt and pepper, with some blacks and a few black and silver.

My friend has a black mini and we have a great reciprocal arrangement where hers comes to me when she is away and vice versa. They now both think that they have two homes, I'm sure. Her black mini, whose name is Giles is coming to me for Christmas.

Here are the two of them:

KWalker

Aww they're so cute! I love schnauzers! The white is pretty uncommon here as well and out of a litter of 9, this one was the only white one. I thought ours was big for a mini but yours looks even bigger. Ours weighs 20-21lbs and is about 18" tall to the shoulder area. We actually had some trouble at one of our local dog parks because its seperated for big dogs and "little" dogs but they put the cut off at 16" and put up a fuss when we brought our *miniature* in there.

I wonder how similar yours is to ours. For Dash, he's either sound asleep or going insane running around lol. There's no in between for him.

No, mine is only 14" at the shoulder and weights about 16lbs (7.25kg in our measurements). Giles, the black one, is a bit bigger and heavier and behaves like yours, even though he is 11 years old.

Mine is fairly sedate most of the time - also sleeps a lot - but every now and then on the beach runs around in crazy circles playing a game that he invented himself. He comes rushing in towards me, I reach out as if to grab him and, at the very last moment, he swerves away, does a big circle and comes running in to me again. This can go on for ages if he is in the mood.

A friend has just delivered to me a fresh lamb's liver from a grass fed animal. What better could you get?

Mineral content of a 3 oz serving includes 6 mg of calcium, 6.27 mg of iron, 16 mg of magnesium, 310 mg of phosphorus, 266 mg of potassium, 60 mg of sodium, 3.96 mg of zinc, 5.936 mg of copper and 70.1 micrograms of selenium. Vitamin content in lamb liver includes 3.4 mg vitamin C, 0.289 mg thiamine, 3.087 mg riboflavin, 13.702 mg niacin, 5.214 mg pantothenic acid, 0.765 mg vitamin B-6, 196 micrograms of folate, 76.59 micrograms of vitamin B-12 and 20,933 international units of vitamin A.

Also a fairly high level of cholesterol, but I don't have a problem with that.

A friend has just delivered to me a fresh lamb's liver from a grass fed animal. What better could you get?

Mineral content of a 3 oz serving includes 6 mg of calcium, 6.27 mg of iron, 16 mg of magnesium, 310 mg of phosphorus, 266 mg of potassium, 60 mg of sodium, 3.96 mg of zinc, 5.936 mg of copper and 70.1 micrograms of selenium. Vitamin content in lamb liver includes 3.4 mg vitamin C, 0.289 mg thiamine, 3.087 mg riboflavin, 13.702 mg niacin, 5.214 mg pantothenic acid, 0.765 mg vitamin B-6, 196 micrograms of folate, 76.59 micrograms of vitamin B-12 and 20,933 international units of vitamin A.

Also a fairly high level of cholesterol, but I don't have a problem with that.
That list is impressive :)

KWalker

mm I bet that's delicious Susan.

My BTVC book came in the mail today!! Charleigh- I just read that it says saccharine is legal which is an artificial sweetener. Have you guys tried that? After a quick google search and it appears that it might be "Sweet and Low"

mm I bet that's delicious Susan.

My BTVC book came in the mail today!! Charleigh- I just read that it says saccharine is legal which is an artificial sweetener. Have you guys tried that? After a quick google search and it appears that it might be "Sweet and Low"

She says in the book that you are allowed one artificially sweetened drink per week. She recognizes that it is technically legal but still not good for you. I let E take a Diet Dr. Pepper (aspartame is also legal) to a Christmas party for a treat. He had an episode and we are pretty sure it was from the diet drink since that was the only new thing. We have not tried it again. Now I do know that the acidity and carbonation alone is an issue for some, so it may not be the artificial sweetener alone? E said that he doesn't even care for the taste of artificial sweetener so it just isn't worth the risk for him. Smart boy :)

I'm afraid that I would rather use a small amount of a natural sugar than any of the artificial sweeteners.

In the same way I would always use butter and ghee (which are legal in the SCD, of course) rather than margarine. I once saw margarine being made and it put me off it for life!

KWalker

yeah I read to that it says to use regular butter. Real butter is actually good too. It's nice and soft and it's delicious heated up on a nice fresh bun...except we can't eat bread :( lol

You guys might find this interesting but I read that people put the Welch's grape juice mixed with Club Soda (legal) and it makes something like a grape soda. That would probably actually be pretty tasty but now I thought I read that carbonated drinks were a no no

You guys might find this interesting but I read that people put the Welch's grape juice mixed with Club Soda (legal) and it makes something like a grape soda. That would probably actually be pretty tasty but now I thought I read that carbonated drinks were a no no
We use a lot of coconut oil here and a natural organic spread called Earth Balance (don't know if it is technically legal, but E has been fine on it).

I think the carbonation is fine as long as you are tolerant to it. Some people find that carbonation alone is a problem for them, but it (in and of itself) is not illegal. I was just thinking about the club soda and juice thing the other day and I am going to try it for E for Christmas!

Hello all,
First, thanks for this thread. I'm quite new to posting on this site but not (unfortunately) to IBD - my daughter has had UC for over three years now We are currently on a low carb/autoimmune paleo type diet (but with eggs). I just wanted to chime in and say that cocoa butter is apparently now legal on the scd. The moderator on the yahoo BTVC list deemed it legal few years ago and this was met with a lot of excitement as you can imagine. I don't know if you are on the list but if not it's a good resource for SCDers - they can answer ANY question and it might be worth signing up and asking about the cocoa butter. "Chocolate" (if you can call it that) might be within reach after all. I haven't followed the list for some years now so I do suggest you check there before trying it just in case something's changed in the last little while.

Hello all,
First, thanks for this thread. I'm quite new to posting on this site but not (unfortunately) to IBD - my daughter has had UC for over three years now We are currently on a low carb/autoimmune paleo type diet (but with eggs). I just wanted to chime in and say that cocoa butter is apparently now legal on the scd. The moderator on the yahoo BTVC list deemed it legal few years ago and this was met with a lot of excitement as you can imagine. I don't know if you are on the list but if not it's a good resource for SCDers - they can answer ANY question and it might be worth signing up and asking about the cocoa butter. "Chocolate" (if you can call it that) might be within reach after all. I haven't followed the list for some years now so I do suggest you check there before trying it just in case something's changed in the last little while.

Welcome! And thanks for the tips. Where do you find plain cocoa butter?
I think that the auto immune paleo diet with the addition of eggs would be 99% similar to SCD? I am paleo and my son is on SCD and for the most part we eat almost identical.

Thanks for chiming in!

I buy it online - 100% food grade cocoa butter. I'm sure I bought the organic etc kind. It was a while ago but I think Lucy's Kitchen shop and some of the other SCD shops were selling it.
I do think they're very similar. We might do sweet potato and I just find not having to worry about "illegals" and stay as simple in our food choices as possible helps me deal with all of the cooking, meal planning etc. We don't do yogurt etc obviously. It's essentially the same though.

Last edited:
Okay, huge progress here. Are you ready? Drumroll...................................................

We are UP by 3 pounds!
:soledance:
:dance:
:applause:
:mario2:
:yoshijumpjoy:

He has done nothing but lose, lose, lose since he got sick. I was really beginning to think this would never happen!!!!