• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kyle's story

Kyle is 18, diagnosed Dec 2011. Was ready for wrestling to start (his senior year), running was difficult, started becoming short of breath. pcp started on inhaler. stomach pain really bad since start of inhaler (always had queasy stomach, and had dull ache recently). Not getting better, getting worse, stomach really hurts, trying everything over the counter, wrestling becoming unbearable, no energy, no stamina, weak, pale. Losing weight, (but he wanted to go down a weight class so we ddnt think too much of this). Finally, couldn't take it anymore, when to pcp, he had lost 20 lbs (i ddnt know he lost that much) stat ct scan and blood work. Sed rate elevated, ct showed severe inflammation. GI doc the following day, started Pentasa... no help. By Christmas Eve he was in so much pain, took tylenol, heating pad went to bed, Xmas morning fever 103, went to ER. Ambulance took him to Pittsburgh Childrens Hospital where we went through Colonoscopy, ultrasound, etc.. ( he never complained) He worried about me getting enough sleep! Stayed there for 5 days, they started him on prednisone, methotrexate sub q. Went home with no pain, and had been doing well with this.
This is such a difficult pill to swallow! I wonder at times what I did during the pregnancy to have this happen. It was a difficult pregnancy, he had been pinching off my ureter causing an infection and causing me to go into preterm labor several times, I think to myself "did any of the meds given to me in the hospital cause this".
Maybe we just think too much sometimes.
He's an amazing child/yound adult who inspires me everyday!!! He's the best child a parent could ask for.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

First of all please do not think your son having this disease is your fault, no one knows for definite what causes crohn's - my mum had no problems when pregnant with me, did the whole breastfeeding bit that is always pushed on new mums and I still ended up with it and no one else in my entire family has anything like it. I am pleased to hear that Kyle is now doing well, I take it he would now just be on the Methotrexate? What dosage of this is he on? We do have a parents forum that is really worth having a look at so you can also chat with the wonderful mum and dads we have here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49.

Wishing you both all the best.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

First off, I want to reiterate what Angrybird said. THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Nothing you did while pregnant with him caused this. Please let go of that feeling.

Angrybird really covered the questions I had as well. Is he just on the methotrexate now? And how is he at present?

And be sure to check out the Parents of Kids with IBD section AB linked you to. The parents there are AMAZING.

Again, welcome.

Thanks for your post - what a ride! I'm a newbie, too, but as far as I know there is absolutely no evidence that anything that happens during pregnancy is related to Crohn's. My daughter was diagnosed in August and heads to college in the fall - I'm really nervous about how much she has to learn and get used to doing for herself before she goes. How are you preparing your son for this? Best wishes.