Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your attitudes or impressions towards fat intake from dairy and meat?

12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
wildbill_52280

What are your attitudes or impressions towards fat intake from dairy and meat?

i was wondering in general what peoples attitudes were towards fat from dairy or meat do you think it is healthy or unhealthy to consume these fats?

do you buy low fat or skim milk? low fat cheese? do you cut the fat from your meats? are you a vegetarian? or do you think nothing of eating the fat off your meat, and buying full fat milk/dairy products?
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm not afraid of natural sources of fat. I think they can be very healthy and beneficial. Especially fat from grass-fed beef. It contains high amounts of conjugated linoleic acid which is has been shown to help fight inflammation (among other things).

I typically avoid buying things that say they are low fat. Bring on the fat!

I'm not so sure about dairy though. I love cheese but I wish I could quit it. I'm not lactose intolerant or anything but it is full of bad bacteria.
12-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I think they're healthy. Unless you have lactose intolerance or something of course, 'though it's not the fat that's the issue then. Red meat can be hard to digest though.
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I think they are yummy!~ However, too much fat and I get the squirts and for some people red meat causes diarrhea too.

For the most part, I eat lower fat stuff, but I don't go out of my way to avoid fat.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
I think a small amount of real, full fatcheese etc is better than some of the so-called "low fat" products which have goodness knows what in them.

By preference I do drink skim milk and I will trim off most of the visible fat on meat/ drain mince well etc. I don't see fat as evil by any means I just won't load up on it unnecessarily.
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
12-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For a long time, I couldn't absorb fat so it really didn't bother me in terms of caloric intake. It did mean that cold Canadian winters were a little colder, and I was missing out on some of my nutrients. I do need to watch it a lot more now that I am absorbing again.
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
hugh

My Support Groups:
love it love it love it,
ghee has virtually zero lactose/casein/milk solids making it stable at high temperature and a better choice than butter.
I only use real fat/oil, stuff that is natural and not made from toxic shit (like seed/vegetable oils - so oils like avocado and coconut and olive oil are ok because they are non poison in their natural state).
.good references-
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz2EyyHDsT1
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healt...#axzz2EyyHDsT1
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
and not made from toxic shit
..'cause there's enough of that coming out of us already!
12-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think what has hurt us is high fat diets combined with too little activity and too much sugar, grains, and refined foods.

Real food that has real fat is really good for you.

Think...coconut oil, olive oil, free range organic eggs and meat (yes, gasp, even red meat).

My cholesterol (the bad kind) is so low it doesn't register on the charts. My mom started the diet as laid out on www.whole30.com where good fats are encouraged and she shaved 100 points off her high cholesterol and 20 pounds off her body. She was making homemade olive oil mayo and adding it to everything, she was eating steak, and she was drizzling extra olive oil on her salad, etc.
Enteral Nutrition
12-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #10
D Bergy

This study says it all:

CLA is a fatty acid naturally present in ruminant meat and dairy products. Due to changes in the Western diet, average intake of CLA has fallen; if the fat is removed from a dairy product to make a low-fat version that will be acceptable to consumers, CLA is removed along with it.

Thirteen patients with mild to moderate disease activity were recruited to participate in this open label study and supplemented with a daily dose of CLA of six grams (Tonalin) for 12 weeks.

Results showed that CLA supplementation was associated with a suppression in levels of certain forms of T cells in the blood, which are known to produce pro-inflammatory compounds. Disease severity, as measured by the Crohn’s Disease Activity Index (CDAI), was significantly improved, with a drop in CDAI from 245 to 187 over the 12 weeks.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ru-ar...497&mobile=off

Dan
12-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
sid

I think it every important that you take in some amount of healthy fat everyday. I eat a lot of almonds, rice,walnut and potato in large quantities..these food also tends to keep me full and doesnt give me any gas..and since I workout hard it makes it esential that i have good healthy fat in good amount.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your attitudes or impressions towards fat intake from dairy and meat?